• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Big fun on the Devil's Highway

NI5L

Did a 300 mile loop today with a buddy on the famous Devil's Highway in eastern Arizona. So called because it used to be U.S. Highway 666 until 20 years or so ago. It is now U.S. 191. Reason for changing it is dubious, but it is what it is. :nyah

Hundreds of technical low and high speed corners, some banked, most flat and a few off camber. Uphill and downhill entries, tight 180s and some flying room to boot. Lots of "Tar Snakes" to deal with in spots making line choosing more an exercise in obstacle avoidance than optimal apex carving.

A bit over 5000 feet of elevation change from high desert cactus and mesquite at 3000 ft to Ponderosa pine and Aspen forest at over 8000 feet. Beautiful weather...right up till I had to head home to the Gila Valley floor this afternoon....112 deg!!

The bike taught me something today...like it will lean farther than I thought it would and stay hooked solidly. The picture says it all. The chicken strip is just a bit over 3/8" wide on both sides. :dance

Damn, I like this bike!!

BTW, any of you "local" guys want to make the loop sometime when it starts getting a little cooler, let me know. Basically it starts in Safford. Head through Mule Ceek into New Mexico, go north to Alpine and back south through Morenci and then back to Safford. Plan on all day for the ride. It took me ~7 hours with a short lunch and fuel stop in Alpine. It ought to be a good time.

Attachments

• Chicken Strip.jpg
    Chicken Strip.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 148
Hi Warren! If you are SE AZ, I am near the BIG city in its NE suburbia.

Done the 191 when it 'twas the 666 and still love to do it now. Problem is the 113F we are right now!

This ride is ideal, mid September when we see high 90's at 3, and 80's by 6. But my ride is bit flickier than yours. On the other hand, I rode it to Grey, TN in 2009, and may see Oregon in 2013.

Sounds like a blast. I was at ASU 85 - 86 But never made it to Safford area. I check your route on goggle maps and now wish i had made the time. At the time i had a Honda xl175 that i used as a daily driver in and around Tempe. Don t think that would have been my bike of choice for that kind of trip. Maybe one day.

Hi Warren! If you are SE AZ, I am near the BIG city in its NE suburbia.

Done the 191 when it 'twas the 666 and still love to do it now. Problem is the 113F we are right now!

This ride is ideal, mid September when we see high 90's at 3, and 80's by 6. But my ride is bit flickier than yours. On the other hand, I rode it to Grey, TN in 2009, and may see Oregon in 2013.

Ahhh....a BMW dirt bike. :stick. :nyah

I intend to ride it again before the weather up there gets dicey....

Plenty of hotels here to stage from.

Ahhh....a BMW dirt bike. :stick. :nyah

I intend to ride it again before the weather up there gets dicey....

Plenty of hotels here to stage from.

No dirt bike here, all street. Just 100lbs or more lighter. And more HP and torque.

sorry 'bout that. I saw the F800 reference in a title and didn't look any farther. Nice ride.

I had an F800S March '07 to October '08. When it was oficially lemoned out, I upgraded.

On another thread, I mentioned one day when the R1200S was being serviced, my Service Manager, a good friend, saw me looking at the new F800R, and said he'd have the sales team give me a deal on an S1000RR to keep me away from another 800cc bike.

Why is simple! He and I saw what my 800cc bike did on the dyno and I'd never own one again!

Back