• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Best way to deal with title transfer for an out of state purchase?

I found a bike on Cycletrader I put a small hold deposit on, HaulBikes contract is active with an estimated possible pickup date on the 21st, and I'm wondering how to deal w/ the title. HB will not handle titles or any private paperwork they say.

The day the truck arrives for pickup I will send payment via PayPal to the Seller once the bike is on the truck and I have phone contact w/ the HB truck driver to verify it's actually happening.

Obviously if the bike arrives and I have no title, I'm a bit screwed it would appear especially if the Seller disappears, dies, etc. And yet if the Seller agrees to send me the title before he's paid, he's got some vulnerability.

If you've done this let me know your thoughts and insights.

Thanks in advance!

What did the listing say about title status? I imagine CycleTrader will offer you some kind of protection if title shenanigans occur. Did, or could, the seller send you a picture of the title?

I imagine the HB truck driver would take the title and paperwork in hand and confirm that to you as part of the hauling contract, right? I think what they mean is they won't do any kind of "document handling" the way a dealership might.

What did the listing say about title status? I imagine CycleTrader will offer you some kind of protection if title shenanigans occur. Did, or could, the seller send you a picture of the title?

I imagine the HB truck driver would take the title and paperwork in hand and confirm that to you as part of the hauling contract, right? I think what they mean is they won't do any kind of "document handling" the way a dealership might.

Probably jumped the gun on this: problem solved I called the Seller, an 82y/o, and he suggested just putting in one of the side cases which sounds fine. I have a photo copy of the title and all looks legit so I think we're good to go now. You could be right about the driver transporting the paperwork but I'm pretty sure she was saying they won't carry anything other than the bike. I had asked about them taking a small box with various small accessories and she said nope on that too, so that box will be shipped by the Seller.

Cheers and thanks for your time

I’m a fan of important paperwork being sent overnight- FedX or UPS.
The thirty dollars is worth it.
That’s just me.

OM

As a seller, I’d only accept EFT or green folding money before releasing a bike. As a buyer, I’d expect overnight shipping of the title once the EFT to the seller landed. Fees for both are less $$ and more secure than PayPal for both parties in the transaction. Most shippers don’t want anything to accompany the bike and are not interested in getting in the middle of the financial transaction—their contract is only to ship the bike. And, if the bike should happen to be stolen from the shipper, with the title in the saddlebag, then the thief got very lucky. Title and bike should always be separate.

Best,
DeVern

I sold a '78 RS on Ebay a few years back. Purchaser sent me a check after he won the auction. I mailed the title after I received the check. Bike hauler showed up a couple of days later.

What GTRider said.

You as the buyer electronically send funds to sellers bank. Seller then FedEx’s you the title and an extra key. That way, you can get a head start in going to your motor vehicles office and get it registered, and you’ll know the VIN to get it insured for the trip.

While I’ve been very happy with Haul Bikes in the past, for my recent purchase they kinda let me down. While the bike arrived in perfect condition, HB took 3 months to get it to me. Yes, 3 MONTHS. Trip was from New Mexico to New Jersey. They were weeks late in picking up, then it went round and round out west, making stops at two different warehouses of theirs, then they went silent, then I noticed it was at their warehouse in Pennsylvania for 10 days, just 3 hours from me. They had a million excuses- “supply chain issues” was the one that got under my skin. I called and asked what supply were they waiting for from China, a truck or a driver? After that exchange where I wasn’t too nice, they brought it the next day.

I just bought a GS. The seller was an attorney, so I wired him the money and he sent me the title via Fedex on the day they picked up the bike.

Make sure you get a bill of sale indicating the sale price, as well.

What GTRider said.

You as the buyer electronically send funds to sellers bank. Seller then FedEx’s you the title and an extra key. That way, you can get a head start in going to your motor vehicles office and get it registered, and you’ll know the VIN to get it insured for the trip.

While I’ve been very happy with Haul Bikes in the past, for my recent purchase they kinda let me down. While the bike arrived in perfect condition, HB took 3 months to get it to me. Yes, 3 MONTHS. Trip was from New Mexico to New Jersey. They were weeks late in picking up, then it went round and round out west, making stops at two different warehouses of theirs, then they went silent, then I noticed it was at their warehouse in Pennsylvania for 10 days, just 3 hours from me. They had a million excuses- “supply chain issues” was the one that got under my skin. I called and asked what supply were they waiting for from China, a truck or a driver? After that exchange where I wasn’t too nice, they brought it the next day.

Many states such as Indiana with not do paperwork on vehicles from out of state unless it is inspected by them (BMV) or a police officer with duly completed VIN check by officer.

Many states such as Indiana with not do paperwork on vehicles from out of state unless it is inspected by them (BMV) or a police officer with duly completed VIN check by officer.

That's true here. In California, AAA can do automobiles and trucks, but you have to go to the DMV for bikes, I learned recently.

I keep a AAA membership because I can do most DMV transactions at their offices.

Good point. I looked it up. 19 states require a VIN inspection only to verify that the actual VIN on the vehicle matches what’s on the paperwork being presented.

You also jogged my memory. Many years ago, here in NJ, (where we don’t have a VIN inspection requirement) I recall being called in to hqs to meet someone with a motorcycle in the PD’s parking lot to sign a VIN verification form for Florida DMV. I don’t remember why, but it was going to be titled and registered in Florida but the bike was physically here in NJ.

That’s just me.

OM

UPS has lost titles I have sent two clients TWICE. And this is overnight with signature. They lost the titles in their warehouses.

As GTrider said... get the paperwork overnighted to you. If you're nervous about porch pirates, the FedEx website allows you to hold packages at any FedEx office. Honestly speaking, I wouldn't want a shipper to handle any title work.

As for shipping the bike, there's always a risk, so try and go with someone you can trust. We had a $15,000 motorcycle purchased by a California buyer who organized his own shipper, and the bike was stolen from the truck that very evening - the driver stopped for the night in a hotel about 20 miles south of Seattle. Needless to say, insurance is a good idea.

YMMV

That’s just me.

OM

UPS has lost titles I have sent two clients TWICE. And this is overnight with signature. They lost the titles in their warehouses.

That is unfortunate. I have had good luck and some piece of mind knowing where the titles were and who was transporting them.

I take it you have found a better way? Care to share?

While I certainly wouldn't be happy the loss of a title, I would have some joy in-

1) It was not with the bike allowing the important paperwork to let most anyone claim the bike as theirs.

2) Knowing where the title was lost- just not recoverable. Sorta like losing something overboard at the lake.....You know where it is, it's just not recoverable.

OM

Back