• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

AZ Beemers Road Runner Rally - Devil's Highway Edition - Friday 6/6 to Sunday 6/8

beemerdons

Certifiable Old Fart
Hannagan Meadows AZ M/C Rally: June 6-8!

http://www.freewebs.com/azairheads/rrrally.html All makes welcome, rally is located at the North end of The Devil's Highway '666'! Rent a room in a cabin or camp under the pines!

Scan141070001.jpg

BUMP! Two weeks until the Road Runner Rally in the cool pines of Eastern Arizona and a great weekend to ride The Devil's Highway '666'!

Last edited:
If you are riding your BMW GS to our AZB RoadRunner Rally, please join us for a big bike friendly dirt bike loop! From AZ Beemers President Jo - azgsgirl:

Me riding in "Aspen Alley" on FR403:

Hal and I just returned from the White Mountains, where we pre-rode the dirt roads that we are including in our rally ride. They are in great shape, dusty, but in great shape. You will have a wonderful time riding if you join us on Saturday!

The route that we have planned will be about 3-1/2 hours of riding, but if anyone wants more after that, I will be glad to add more. *:)

Today we went on a more remote, little-used road, and we saw two groups of elk running in the forest.

We hated to leave the White Mountains, as usual. I could easily live there forever.

See you next weekend!

- Jo

So -

Is anybody gonna post a "ride report" with some pics (hopefully) from this event. There may be just one or two AZ ex-pats with fond memories of the area up there who would like to vicariously re-live past adventures. Just sayin'...

Regards,

Marty

Marty, here you go Brother!

So -

Is anybody gonna post a "ride report" with some pics (hopefully) from this event. There may be just one or two AZ ex-pats with fond memories of the area up there who would like to vicariously re-live past adventures. Just sayin'...

Regards,

Marty

[quote author=azgsgirl link=topic=4776.msg38167#msg38167 date=1402336411]
The rally at HML was really fun, and we had perfect weather. Here are a few of the photos Hal and I took, along with a brief story. I wish we'd had even more time up there, it was great.

Hal and I arrived on Friday, went to Aker Lake in the afternoon:

Aker Lake is really close to HML, just south on the 191. Next time we go, we will take you there if you'd like to see it. It's just a short ride, nice for late afternoon.

While we were there, Hal let me ride the DR for a few minutes:

I rode it again on Saturday afternoon for 60 miles after the organized DS ride. Hal almost didn't get his bike back!

We also went on one of the roads near HML. I am not sure what number it is, but we call it the weir road because there are two weirs if you keep going on it. It dead-ends there, but it is quiet. One of the interesting things is that it was severely burned during the Wallow fire, and you can see how the trees are now becoming more skeletal.

Hal on the weir road:

On his DR 650:

Saturday morning, after breakfast, the DS riders got together. This is one of the stops, at the Black River, during our 70 miles in the dirt that day:

Another shot of the Black River:

This photo is almost at the end of the dirt, on FR403 just south of Alpine. This area is where the aspens are growing in abundance because it is also a severely burned area:

I was the "sweep" rider that day, and I sure ate a lot of dust! All my clothes were brown with it, and so was my face. It took me a long time to get all the grime off me once I got home!

Hal and I strung together a few of the roads that we love. All the riders seemed to enjoy the route that we planned. We didn't even get to ride FR37, one my favorites, though! Next year we will! Hal and I rode it later that day, when we traded bikes.

On Sunday morning, four of us gals went horseback riding with Wild Bill McClain, the resident wrangler:

(Yes, I am the "nerd" in the white helmet, but you'd wear one too if you'd had all the things happen to you with horses that I have.) *:eek: *I grew up riding, and horses can be unpredictable. Plus, they're big! *:)

The nice thing about riding horses is that you can go places that you can't get to even on a dirt bike. Last year I rode with Bill through the Blue Wilderness, on an almost four-hour ride. He told me that now that trail is impassable because of the amount of trees that have fallen on it, and the forest service has no plans to clear it. The trails our group rode yesterday were beautiful, and new to me. We walked through recovering forest, lush green ferns and aspens abundant near the trails. It was an enchanting end to our weekend at HML.

I know I am leaving some things out, like the dinners, so if you have photos from other events at the rally, please post them! *:)

More detailed story has begun here: http://azgsgirl.wordpress.com/2014/06/09/roadrunner-rally-day-1/

- Jo
[/quote]

[quote author=Moto99 link=topic=4776.msg38176#msg38176 date=1402352844]
A view of the HML on Friday afternoon when people started to arrive.

A view of the HML early Saturday morning.

On the road to the Mogollon Ghost town.

Somewhere off in the fields on AZ 191 South of the HML.

[/quote]

Marty, sone more for you:

[quote author=Dtrux link=topic=4776.msg38178#msg38178 date=1402357353]
Sheila and I had a great time too.* It is nice to match people to their forum names.*

Here are some folks out front on the patio
IMG_4264_zps3d89b49d.jpg

Between Springerville and Showlow
IMG_4259_zpsbc842371.jpg

Sheila enjoying the scenary
IMG_4258_zps206506c2.jpg

Who would have guessed -* a Los Dos Molinas* in Springerville
IMG_4262_zps87a6c66b.jpg

View from the porch
IMG_4267_zpsb1683a14.jpg

Tent City
IMG_4266_zpsa200d2d4.jpg

At the overlook with William, Charlie, and Martin
IMG_4274_zpsd10e9a46.jpg

Overlook
IMG_4276_zps6c9f5afe.jpg

William, Charlie, and Martin getting gas
IMG_4279_zpscdfbfd67.jpg

Cool Rock formation on the way home
IMG_4280_zps92e17c17.jpg

[/quote]

Beemerdons - NICE, thanks! Brings back a lot of memories of camping/exploring "up there".

Now, if I can just get retired in a few years, maybe's I can ride back down and go along on one of these in the future!

Regards,

Marty

Beemerdons - NICE, thanks! Brings back a lot of memories of camping/exploring "up there".

Now, if I can just get retired in a few years, maybe's I can ride back down and go along on one of these in the future!

Regards,

Marty

We AZ Beemers look forwarding to seeing you Marty, come to our RoadRunner Rally whenever you can Brother!

Back