• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Avon Storm ST tires

kreinke

Did you ever add an accessory to your motorcycle that totally changed it's character (hopefully for the better) from before you put it on?

That's the experience I had yesterday riding from DePere back home to Adams after my 24000 mile service on the Beemer and having a fresh new set of Avon Storm ST's.
a2_2.JPG

The OEM tires I got on my Boxer were Dunlops and while they handled great the rear only lasted about 3000 miles.

Then I followed the BMW elitists and using the Metzler Z-6 Roadtec. I've never really been happy with the Metzlers. The front Roadtec has a pointy profile which gives you good initial turn-in for cornering but the countersteering wasn't linear and as the rear started to wear it took more effort to maintain a line.

The other criticism of the Z-6's is the rear has no center tread. The outer treads can be relatively deep and the center solid strip can be worn down to the cords with no warning.

I had a very positive experience with the Avon Azaros that I used on my F650. I never had any issues with wet traction and they handled great. The only criticism I had was the front Azaro had a wandering crease in the center that made the tire feel funny at low speeds.

Before I left the dealer I made sure the tire pressures were at the same pressure as the old buns.

It didn't take any more than turning out of the lot of Nick's to realize that that something was different.

The first real hard corner I took was an exit cloverleaf from HWY 41 to 441. Wary of how new tires can sometimes be a little slick I took it a little easy while leaned over. While I was able to feel the creases, tar snakes, and cracks there wasn't any of the skipping or bump-steer I had before. It's hard to explain but the bike just felt more "planted." According to Avon the Storm "Incorporates the very latest bike tyre technology 'Reactive Footprint'. The tyres contact patch changes size and shape depending on lean angle - for the life of the tyre."

The real test came on the winding back roads of Winnebago, Waushara, and Marquette counties. I made a point of taking non-numbered roads all the way back from Eureka to Adams through little bergs like Neshkoro, Dakota, Budsin, and Westfield. Many of these roads have sharper left-right tight transitions.

I can tell that while Avons don't initially change direction as quickly as the Metz tires, once leaned over they require absolutely no countersteering effort to maintain a line. These are the most neutral tires I've never had on a motorcycle....ever.

I'll check back in a few months and let you guys know how they're wearing. I usually get about 6000 miles out of a rear tire and I have no reason te believe that I'll get any more...or less out of these.

I put Avons on my R1200RT about 2000 miles ago and I'm very happy with their performance also.

More to Follow.....

Excellent information about the Avon Storm ST tires. I am presently wearing out my second set of Michelin Pilot Roads (Yes - also a Nick's BMW customer!), and while I am generally happy with these treads and the mileage I get (11,000+ on the 1st set), I feel they get a bit sloppy in turns and moderate bank angles.

Will be watching for your mileage report on the Avon's.

Thanks!

Ride ATGATT & Alert!

I have over 2000 miles on the Avon Storms I had Nick's BMW mount on my 94 R1100RS a few months back. So far I am very pleased with the ride and responsive ness of the tires. Not had much road time in the rain to evaluate the wet grip, but I'm trusting the typical British weather to have proved out that capability.

This is the first set of non-Bridgestone tires I have run on this bike in almost ten years. The price was good, the tires look great, seem to be wearing very well, and I like the handling. All the chicken strips were worn off long ago already.

I may have been one of the first to get the Avon Storms at Nick's, and now I notice he keeps some in stock. I work there part time in sales.

I now have about 1200 miles on the tires...

No flat spots showing yet. No sign of cupping. Still excellent handling. I checked tire pressure and noticed they really are warm to the touch after riding. I also rode quite a bit in the wet last week and they seemed to grip better than the Metzelers.

Noisy???

Encouraging reports about the Avon Storms.

One more issue, though: do these tires 'sing' at speeds above 60 - 65 MPH?

My current Pilot Roads are good wearing tires (11,000+ miles on the 1st set - presently wearing out the 2nd set), but have an annoying whine in the neighborhood of 60 - 70 MPH.

How quiet are the Avons at highway speeds?

Avon Storms

Just put Storms on my 1150RT. They look like the Azero's that I replaced but from what I hear are improved. I got 7827 miles on the Azero's But I do a lot of 2 up riding and we ain't skinny people so maybe that hurt the mileage some. The back tire was just down to wear bars but the front could have gone a couple of thousand more miles, but who wants to ride in Colorado on old tires?

The ride was much better than on the Bridgestone and ME880 tires I had on before.
From the start the bike just handled better. After almost 8k the handling was still good but it did take a little more pressure on handlebars to hold a turn due to the flat profile on the rear. The front had just a little cupping on the point of the rain grooves.

Best thing is that they never did develop that awful growl the ME880's develop after only 6K.

Encouraging reports about the Avon Storms.

One more issue, though: do these tires 'sing' at speeds above 60 - 65 MPH?

My current Pilot Roads are good wearing tires (11,000+ miles on the 1st set - presently wearing out the 2nd set), but have an annoying whine in the neighborhood of 60 - 70 MPH.

How quiet are the Avons at highway speeds?

I don't notice any difference between these and the others. I think perhaps they're a little smoother.

I find these tires have changed my riding style somewhat. The geometry and easy of turn in is such that I ride more or less supermoto-style...meaning the bike is "leaned in" instead of me "hanging off".

I've been running on Avon's since my first K100RT in '85 in Germany. They were hard to find in Canada after I returned, but still managed to get them.

Since then I've run nothing but Avon's on my K100RT, R1100RT, my wife's R1100RS, and our latest rides...K1200S's.

Awesome tires with great handling, stickiness and longevity.

Also, even though they are equal to or better than anything Metz or Mich put out, for some reason they are cheaper.

Can't say that I notice any noise from the tires, certainly nothing more than I heard (if anything) from the Bridgestone tires I always ran before.

But then, my bike being a RS means my fairing and windshield is much smaller than that of a RT. Plus, the intake and exhaust noise my bike makes probably masks any tire noise.

I'd assume the Storms to be very quiet tires. Worth a try. I mean, you only have to ride them for 10k and then get a different set. What's 10K, one seasons worth of riding?

The only disappointment for me was that I hoped that this harder central area would wear better than the tires that came on the bike (7500 mis). The storms showed noticeable center flattening in about 3500 miles, I do not expect any longer than about 7-8 K.

Avon Update

I'm coming up on 6000 miles on my Avon Storms and have a moderate flat spot in the middle. I'm probably going to replace the rear at 7000 which is about 1000 more than I've gotten out of any other tire. The front shows no signs of cupping yet.

As far as the life span I'd be OK with a shorter lifespan.

As far as I'm concerned the Storms are the most confident handling and best riding tires I've ever had on this bike. That "reactive footprint" thing AVON has going is da bomb as far as I'm concerned.

And yes, I have ridden them in the rain and of very cold pavement. They grip fine.

Avon Storm ST vs Michelin Pilot Road

I have ridden Avon Viper's on my VTX 1800 and am very pleased with the tire. However, I was asking my tire dealer and he told me that he doesn't recommend the Storm. He told me most the riders that come in with RT's run either the Metzlers or Michelin Pilot Road's. He asked me what type of riding I do and assured me that the Pilot Road would be the best tire for me.

I have an R 1100 RT ('96) I am running Dunlop's and am not too happy. The tires are cupping badly. I purchased the bike in July and have put around 4K miles on it. I live in GA and spent the majority of my riding time in the North GA mountains. I don't ride as hard as I did when younger but do like to ride hard in the twisties. I am willing to sacrifice some mileage for better handling.

So now to my question... for those of you that are riding the Storm ST's have you used the Pilot Road's? If so, what are your thoughts? I am pretty sure that I'll be changing tires every 6-8K miles. The Storm's are a bit more economical but not so much that it makes much of a difference. I am just so happy with the Viper's on my 1800 that I want to give the Storm's a go...

Thanks in advance for your comments!!!

Back