• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Avoiding being rear-ended

BCKRider

Kbiker
Just had some thoughts on this topic which I haven't read elsewhere and would like your considered opinions. First; I do have a bright riding jacket, a white helmet, and extra brake lights which pulse before they are on solid. I'm convinced all this stuff helps a lot for drivers that are sort of connected with the act of driving. But there are a few who are so deeply imbedded in the important text they are sending or receiving that they can (and have) run into emergency vehicles with all the lights flashing.

So the thoughts: if you are first in line coming to a stop light, move to the left of your lane (tires just inside the line) and stop 6-8 feet short of the "stop" line. You want to give the possible red light runner behind you clearance from your bike. You also are giving the left-turner coming from your right more clearance. If you are not the first vehicle to the red light, still put your tires as close to the left line as possible. The vehicle which gets rear-ended is not you but the car in front of you. If you are caught in "stop 'n go" rush hour traffic, the same strategy could work, and I would think the danger of inattentive driving then increases . (Yes, I know what they do in California. Better not to try it in other states or Canada.)

OK, this was my idea and trust you all will point out flaws in my thinking. For me, trying to monitor mediocre mirrors and trying to decide whether I should shoot for a space between cars to avoid a possible rear end collision is the kind of last minute decision that is likely to end badly for me.

Doug, I've done exactly this for years. I also leave my bike in gear, and pay close attention to the rear view mirrors.
Yes, its supposed to be hard on throw out bearings, but they are cheap.

Ken

Good thoughts. One concern about hugging the line though are those who pull up along side of you in your lane. I follow most every thing you've suggested plus always leave myself an out, some place to go to get out of the way. In fifty years of riding I've had one rear end incident, an old girl friend bumped me causing a minor crack in the fiber glass of the rear fender. It was an accident, I think(?????).:scratch

Intersections

Good tips and most of all keep moving if possible. I learned a long time ago a moving target is harder to hit. Long range scanning for stale greens and reds is vital to intersection management. I drag my feet and keep my eyes on what is approaching from behind. I work to keep space in front of me to be able to maneuver. When forced to stop I position the bike as you have stated when first to the light 10 feet back. If behind another vehicle to the side with the path of least resistance when I can escape if necessary and pitch my handlebars in the direction I want to move also allows a great mirror view of the lane behind me. I scan the intersection on the eight points of a compass for hazards while waiting and clear the intersection left, right, forward, left before entering after green. I also think this is an excellent article that makes great points about intersection management. Thanks for bring this topic up. The SMIDSY weave is excellent as well.

http://www.examiner.com/article/motorcycle-safety-at-intersections

Chris

Doug, I've done exactly this for years. I also leave my bike in gear, and pay close attention to the rear view mirrors.
Yes, its supposed to be hard on throw out bearings, but they are cheap.

Ken

I do exactly the same thing with my bikes and cars . . . and I have never lost a throwout bearing. :scratch

I really like a blinking brake light. I firmly believed that it saved me once.

Driving a crew cab F-250 has eased my mind some. LOL!

When riding I do like others has said, have an escape route in mind at every traffic stop. I've often seen other riders pull right up to the bumper of the car in front of them. I just shake my head and hope they never have to pay for that mistake.

Good thoughts. One concern about hugging the line though are those who pull up along side of you in your lane. I follow most every thing you've suggested plus always leave myself an out, some place to go to get out of the way. In fifty years of riding I've had one rear end incident, an old girl friend bumped me causing a minor crack in the fiber glass of the rear fender. It was an accident, I think(?????).:scratch
Yes, I can see the following motorist thinking you are asking him/her to "share the lane" if you are first to the light and stop 8-10 feet short of the stop line. Possible solution: put on your right turn signal as you move from the left wheel track to near the center line. The message sent is "this guy either wants to re-enter the lane or he is such an idiot that he suddenly realizes he needs to turn right." If the driver stops to give you room, give a friendly hand wave and pull up to the stop line in the left wheel track. If the driver shares your lane, look at the driver behind him, shoot out your right arm, and try to get a nod that he will let you in. REMEMBER TO CANCELL YOUR TURN SIGNAL. In stop- 'n- go traffic, just staying near the center line may be the best bet until traffic gets moving and you can move to your right.

Since I thought I just invented this idea (honestly) I was surprised to see so much agreement from more experienced riders. Not in the books I have read. Probably a lot more good ideas that are not in the books I have read.

We all know the general crash statistics of motorcycles VS automobiles are horrendous, at least when it comes to deaths. We also know there are many riders who have ridden many years and very high miles with few or no crashes. I believe we would all like to hear from them; Paul and Voni Glaves come to mind, though there are many others. My guess is that they have great braking and swerving skills - and almost never need to use them.

Could those of you who are or know people who have ridden long and safely, encourage them to post their ideas in this forum? I, and many others, would be more than happy to learn from them and recognize my postings on this topic are just the very top of an iceberg of knowledge.

Back