• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Apple Warning Re: iPhone Camera Damage on Motorcycles

exgman

I've been looking at some recent Forum posts regarding mounting a cellphones on a motorcycle. I've also seen some discussions about using an iPhone in place of the Garmin units (particularly the problem-prone Nav VI). Some posts have mentioned concerns about the iPhone cameras. I just found a fairly recent URL in which Apple warns about that very problem: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212803

Anyone use a cell phone without "service" to do this??

I have 3 old cell phones without SIMs that I want to try to set up specifically for this. Using what would otherwise be worthless, is still cheaper than buying any GPS unit... Even if it gets rained on and destroyed... :D

- Remove the SIM
- Activate Airplane Mode, THEN turn WiFi back on
- Load maps over WiFi before leaving the hotel in the morning
- Let the built in GPS receiver follow where you are on the road and give you directions

Anyone use a cell phone without "service" to do this??

I have 3 old cell phones without SIMs that I want to try to set up specifically for this. Using what would otherwise be worthless, is still cheaper than buying any GPS unit... Even if it gets rained on and destroyed... :D

- Remove the SIM
- Activate Airplane Mode, THEN turn WiFi back on
- Load maps over WiFi before leaving the hotel in the morning
- Let the built in GPS receiver follow where you are on the road and give you directions

I do essentially this whenever I travel to Canada and don't want to pay $10/day for mobile service. Except that I leave the SIM in the phone. Pre-load the map, turn off mobile data in the phone's settings, and get all the goodness of Google navigation without a mobile connection. It works well.

Good to know!!

I think I'm gonna set up a couple old phones just like that and keep them on hand for trips.
They can even double as a music player. :beer

I toasted the camera in my iPhone 12 last year most likely due to vibration. Let Quad Lock know that it happened even though I MOSTLY used the vibration dampener while riding (not on my F700GS). Not blaming anyone and now no-one asks me to take pictures! Bu yes it happens.

I did a little research on this and the part affected is what I figured.

"Apple says that "high amplitude vibrations within certain frequency ranges" can permanently affect your iPhone camera system by damaging the gyroscope sensor that the iPhone's optical image stabilization (OIS) feature relies on to reduce blurry shots in motion".

Personally, I wouldn't consider strapping an iPhone to anything that would transmit excessive vibration to the iPhone. I realize that while the name is iPhone, what it really is a computer that happens to make phone calls. Panasonic realized that computers needed more protection from harsh environments when they came out with the Tough Book line of rugged computers.

For me, having a phone strapped to the handlebars on my bike would be rather hazardous. The time to take my eyes off the road to see the info on the phone in the traffic wouldn't work out worth the risk. Of course, YMMV.

OM

For me, having a phone strapped to the handlebars on my bike would be rather hazardous. The time to take my eyes off the road to see the info on the phone in the traffic wouldn't work out worth the risk. Of course, YMMV.

OM
Personally, I have trouble understanding the need for a phone being readily available so you can take calls and use it for other distractions while riding.

I get using it to route, but that's about it. Taking calls etc. just doesn't work for me. Maybe it's just the old fart in me but my cell phone stays in my tank bag while riding. ¯\_(?)_/¯

Personally, I have trouble understanding the need for a phone being readily available so you can take calls and use it for other distractions while riding.

I get using it to route, but that's about it. Taking calls etc. just doesn't work for me. Maybe it's just the old fart in me but my cell phone stays in my tank bag while riding. ¯\_(?)_/¯

Mine stays in a sealed jacket pocket. Calls are sent/received through the Nav VI that is linked to the phone. I’ll call you next time I’m on the road, which may be June what with all the cold and snow we’ve been having.
:D

Best,
DeVern

Mine stays in a sealed jacket pocket. Calls are sent/received through the Nav VI that is linked to the phone. I’ll call you next time I’m on the road, which may be June what with all the cold and snow we’ve been having.
:D

Best,
DeVern

Call me anytime DeVern, if I recall correctly, you should still have my number. I would call you a lightweight about the weather but even here, it's been well below freezing and a lot of ice. Not so much snow but a light drizzle freezes enough that I don't even take the car out of the garage, and stick with "The Beast" my 2000 Silverado 4X4 to get around. Bikes just sit in the garage shivering....:dunno

New guy here, and sorry for the micro necro....

I use an iPhone 14 Pro Max with the connected ride cradle in the navigation mount and in over 6000 miles, no issue with the camera. My understanding is that there is inherent damping in the GPS mount, but not sure. Regardless, no issues with my camera.

Back