• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Anybody replaced their water pump by themselves?

While doing the 48k service, I noticed some coolant weep on the side of the engine. Bike is a 2015 and this is a first. I'm getting ready to replace the clutch pack, and replacing the water pump while I'm in there seems pretty straightforward according to the repair manual. And it's listed specifically as "coolant pump replacement WITHOUT draining/refilling coolant".

So am I correct in assuming that this is as simple as it looks? Unbolt the old one and bolt in the new one with new O-rings?

Feeling brave.

I have NOT replaced a water pump personally, although I went through 4 (count 'em FOUR) water pumps during the warranty period on my 2016 R1200RS, all done at the dealer. Since the water pump is pretty much at the bottom of the cooling system I can't imagine "without draining/ refilling coolant" unless you could apply negative pressure to the top. You'd still lose whatever coolant is in the pump and tubes that connect the pump to the engine.

Frank

The last time I rebuilt a water pump I screwed it up and ended up pushing coolant into the motor. Sadly I didn't realize it until I was 2 days into a 4 week trip 5000 miles from home! Between shipping and flights it was an expensive trip!

There are multiple examples of Maintenance procedures for the bike where the engine is out of the bike for example, or some other task has already been accomplished. This may be what you are reading.

Your reference to this is for the Technicians to be able to SKIP unnecessary steps, like draining the LH radiator, then removing the hose to the thermostat, disconnecting this that or the other in the process to even gain access to the front cover.

As @skibum69 said above, since the water pump assembly is housed within the oil bath area of the engine, you will need to drain the coolant from the lowest part of the engine to ensure you don't contaminate the engine oil.

If this is too confusing to you, then you are in over your head and should let the dealer accomplish this task.

My dealer did the fix as the other issue the foiled me was the main bearing had failed which I didn't find out until we pulled it apart. Good thing I just shipped it home.

There are multiple examples of Maintenance procedures for the bike where the engine is out of the bike for example, or some other task has already been accomplished. This may be what you are reading.

Your reference to this is for the Technicians to be able to SKIP unnecessary steps, like draining the LH radiator, then removing the hose to the thermostat, disconnecting this that or the other in the process to even gain access to the front cover.

As @skibum69 said above, since the water pump assembly is housed within the oil bath area of the engine, you will need to drain the coolant from the lowest part of the engine to ensure you don't contaminate the engine oil.

If this is too confusing to you, then you are in over your head and should let the dealer accomplish this task.
That answers my question. Thanks.

Back