• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Airhead Mechanic Central Florida?

M

masher

Rehabbing a 1976 r90/6. I will do most of the work myself, but may want to bring it in for some of the maintenance or repair. Anyone know someone good at wrenching in central Florida? Orlando, preferably. Is the local Orlando BMW dealer service good or Daytona's BMW dealer service. Think they are owned by the same group.

Tom High of Rennsport Motorrad (386-734-2496) in Deland, FL has a good reputation. I have communicated with him several times, visited his new shop in March, and have found him to be very helpful.

Deland Mechanic

Tom High of Rennsport Motorrad (386-734-2496) in Deland, FL has a good reputation. I have communicated with him several times, visited his new shop in March, and have found him to be very helpful.

What work did you use him for and on what bike? Is he a BMW shop or does he work on all bikes? Thanks for the info. Actually the bike is located up in Deland and if this guy is good it would be very convenient.

I think the best Airhead mechanic in Florida is in Tampa. I will PM you his email address. He is booked up until May. Here are the 2 Airheads he just completed for me.

Attachments

• bikes.jpg
    bikes.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 145
He provided guidance to me as I was in the search and acquisition process for a /5; inspected the bike I purchased and made recommendations regarding it; and went an extra step in shipping a replacement tire to the buyer of my F650GS who picked up the bike before I could get to Rennsport to have the tire mounted. He is an independent mechanic who previously worked at Daytona BMW, has collected and restored many airheads; and is an avid enthusiast of riding them.

mechanic

Tom High is a BMW certified master mechanic. He was formerly with BMW of Daytona, but struck out on his own. Even if he does not fix your bike, his stories are worth a visit. He has ridden over 1 Mil. miles on BMWs.

Hello Guys!

Not to contradict or give bad advice, but I was pleasantly surprised and impressed with Cycle One owner and master mechanic "Ernesto". He has a shop in OBT between Colonial & the 408 toll road. He repaired my K75 and advised me on what I could do on my own next time. I asked him if he could adjust the valves and give a general tune up to my 1975 R90, and he said "Suuuure...I am familiar with that bike". He advised me that he also follows all the books and latest upgrade and recomendations. Ernesto, well, he likes to be called Ernie, is a very capable man. To add to my experience, I was at Stake & Shake the other night with two season BMW and Ducati riders and when they asked me who finally put my K75 on the road, I told them "My old Honda mechanic at Cycle One figured it out. My entire bunch of friends replied "Ernie! Yes, if he can't figure out a bike, nobody can". They went on and on and on to the point that the last thing they shared is how well Ernie does a job and he has repaired Ducatis, Triumphs, BMW's and all metric bikes in general. He won't touch a Harley (and I quote) because he hates dealing with the "Harley owners"...What ever that means.
I also wanted to add, thet Ernie is honest to the core. If the bike don't need it, he won't do it. Bottom line.

I hope this offers more alternatives.
Highest Regards,

Gil

Ernie is a fair and humble individual and I can't praise the man enough. He's gone out of his way to help me out on more than one occasion. Salt of the earth. Tom High on the other hand, well, I handed this master mechanic a $900 check and left with my motorbike in the exact same condition it was in when I trailered it up there six months prior. Since my business with Mr. Show, quite a bit of information unbeknownst to me came to light regarding his business dealings. Not the shining star so many old cats chalk him up to be. Thief & Liar, through and through. Should have stuck with my main man on the trail. Ernie for the win!

Ernie is a fair and humble individual and I can't praise the man enough. He's gone out of his way to help me out on more than one occasion. Salt of the earth. Tom High on the other hand, well, I handed this master mechanic a $900 check and left with my motorbike in the exact same condition it was in when I trailered it up there six months prior. Since my business with Mr. Show, quite a bit of information unbeknownst to me came to light regarding his business dealings. Not the shining star so many old cats chalk him up to be. Thief & Liar, through and through. Should have stuck with my main man on the trail. Ernie for the win!

I'm not far from Deland w/Tom High. Talked to him on the phone several times. His labor prices are high. I have read all reports I could find on him and personally, although close to me, I would never, ever use him.

I've had some tires mounted at Daytona BMW and that was fine. They were sold and are owned now by the same owners of Magic Cycle in Orlando. You'll be taking your chances if go to either place. Gainesville has a good shop - good drive from
Deland area though. Tampa has a good shop - good drive from Deland area. Otherwise, sounds like Ernie may well indeed
be the winner in the mechanical arena in this area. There may be other mechanics around Deland/Daytona, but they are
not easily searched-out.

Back