• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

A saturday morning ride

unigobill

This from North Texas and just as a note Texas is the only place in the states that you have to ride 300 miles south to get there, HEHE.

ItÔÇÖs Saturday Morning and itÔÇÖs time, 8:00 a.m. to be exact. The pre-ride checkÔÇÖs complete and I back the K12 out of the Barn. Our friends, Sanders and Elizabeth Walker, have their Guzzie ready to go, so we gear up and weÔÇÖre off.
For todayÔÇÖs trip weÔÇÖre on our way to check out HerdÔÇÖs in Jacksboro, TX. With our stomachs rumbling so much not even our bikes can mask the noise we decide to make our first stop at the Fried Pie in Gainesville, TX for breakfast. Sanders and Elizabeth decide on eggs, bacon, biscuits and gravy. Lois and I opt for a deluxe omelet with mushrooms, hash browns, biscuits and gravy.
Breakfast at the Fried Pie is old fashion and always delicious. The perfect ingredient to kick off a beautiful day on the bikes. Just as weÔÇÖre getting ready to leave Sanders asks about the pies. To be honest, IÔÇÖve eaten here many times and frankly never tried the pie. So two peach, two cherry, and one apricot to go and we are off.
Next on the itinerary is Muenster, TX. Muenster is a small German community just to the west of Gainesville. They have a Germanfest celebration on the last full weekend of April every year that should be on everybodyÔÇÖs to-do list. The Walkers are particularly interested in Muenster since theyÔÇÖve just returned to the states after spending several years working in Wurzburg, Germany.
We stop at FischerÔÇÖs Meat Market, an 82 year old, third generation family business. We pick up some of their hand trimmed German sausage and some hot links to take home. Much to the WalkerÔÇÖs delight they found some of the full flavored German coffee theyÔÇÖve already grown to miss since leaving Germany.
With our sausage wrapped up and put away and a good old-fashioned Texas hamburger calling our names we hit the road. Our route takes us north on 373 through Bulcher, one of TexasÔÇÖ many ghost towns. Not much left to see anymore except a fallen down schoolhouse. We head south on 677 then West on 1956 to Nocona for fuel. To those keeping track of gas prices across the state, I paid $2.86 for premium in Nocona after I paid $2.15 in Denison Friday night.
After the quick fill up weÔÇÖre southbound and down with visions of juicy hamburgers floating in front of us like a carrot dangling in front of a horse. We take 175 south to Montague, picking up 59 going through Bowie and then our destination, 401 North Main, Jacksboro, TX. Better known as HerdÔÇÖs hamburgers.
I first heard of HerdÔÇÖs on one of the many motorcycle forums I visit. Below is a mouth watering history of HerdÔÇÖs that was posted on the forum.

Notes from a forum in regards to HerdÔÇÖs:

I was doing a little idle surfing on the net today, and accidentally came across your question asking if anyone knew any info about the history of Herd's Hamburgers in Jacksboro, Texas.

I know more than you want to know.

My Grandmother, Ella Gafford, started the business in 1916. It was already a legendary place of sorts by the time she sold it, in the mid-1940's, to her sister Mary (Aunt Sissie) and her husband, Jess Herd. (My Grandfather had a major heart attack at that time, and she had to quit work to take care of him.)

It then became Herd's Hamburgers. It has become even more of a legendary place since then. Aunt Sissie and Jess operated the place for many years, but at some point....I can't recall exactly when....they sold it to one of their sons, Claude Herd (my cousin). He has continued to operate it until the present time, but he is probably 70 by now, and is getting close to turning it over to his son, Danny.

They still make the hamburgers just like my Grandmother did in 1916. They have a small griddle, maybe 4 or 5 ft by 3 ft, heated by gas burners. Claude puts a pile of fresh ground meat on one corner and works that into individual patties that move from left to right as they progress, and then off the griddle to the "fixin's" assembly.

It is an absolutely unique hamburger in unique surroundings. The space inside is very small, and people sit in old fashioned school-type desk chairs....or on soft drink cases turned upside down over other cases of drinks. Herd's Hamburgers has been honored by the Texas State Legislature as one of Texas' historic businesses.

No fries, no onion rings, no malts, no nothing, except the best burgers you ever had, chips, and drinks.

I live about 16 miles from Jacksboro in Runaway Bay. Look me up if you're ever through here....

Well all I have to say is I wished I hadnÔÇÖt gone! HerdÔÇÖs has tainted my hamburger eating forever. ThereÔÇÖs a good chance I will never be satisfied with any other burger. To say the least I will return.
You talk about back to basics, thatÔÇÖs HerdÔÇÖs. We arrived about 1:30; the white rock parking lot was full. MercedesÔÇÖ, VolvoÔÇÖs, FordÔÇÖs, ChevyÔÇÖs, pickups and an HD Street Glide.
The girls went in and ordered and after a 30-40 minute wait, and some good conversation with the couple on the Harley, we got our burgers. Words cannot describe this burger, youÔÇÖll just have to go and try one for yourself. I guarantee you will not be disappointed.
Back on the bikes, East on 380 to Decatur and BraumÔÇÖs for a little Ice cream to help HerdÔÇÖs burgers settle. Back on the road for the trip home we head north on 51 then east on 455 through the several dozen 30 mph 90ÔÇÖs all the way to Anna, TX and north on 75, to home. We ended up with 278 fantastic miles, some great food, and a beautiful Saturday Morning ride. Now where did I put those fried pies?:heart

Hey Bulletbill:

I see you posted this 24 days ago. I love to ride and I LOVE burgers. I've done/had both in the last 24 days but the riding is over up here in Ontario:ca. It's burgers only until March but we can work on our bikes and go snowshoeing for a while.

Please keep posting your rides, I for one, love to read about the sunny snow/salt free South during the dark cold Winter.

Jacksboro - Food hot spot

I greatly enjoyed your report. I have never been to Jacksboro but I have a friend in Witchata Falls who has. He hears very good things about Herds and recommends the Green Frog:eat . Your family ties may dictate that you never eat at the competition.

Back