• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'96R1100RT Fuel Gauge Reads Full Always

codfish

Looked at posting on New Members Forum but since I'm not really new, just had a 25 year break, I am looking for help here.

Just picked up this bike. Great condition and what I thought was a great deal. Only initial problem involves the fuel gauge which always reads as full. The low fuel warning light works fine so it's hard to run out of gas, but, I can and sooner or later will do just that.

If anyone has an idea what the problem is ie: tank float stuck, gauge is toast, let me know please. Going to dealer in a week and I want to be as smart as possible before the service writer starts in.

Codfish

The low fuel light and the gauge are from two separate sources. The float arm is for the low fuel light, and the fuel sender tube is for the gauge. In some way, your fuel sender isn’t working properly. Could be a dent in the outer tube preventing the float from descending. Some other cause? You could probably get a used sender tube. Will require tank removal. I would wait until I was doing a fuel filter change and then examine the sender at that time.

Disconnect the fuel tank connector, turn on the ignition.
If the gauge still reads full the issue is on the bike side (sender wire shorted to ground)
If the gauge reads 0 then the issue is most likely in the level tube.
I have repaired/rebuilt several.
Suggest you ride out the season and contact me then, it can be repaired over the winter.
A new one from the dealer is a whopping $620

Back