• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'92 K75S Engine Trouble Light Stays On - help!

robsryder

Motorcycleton
My 92 K75S sat for about 6 years after making a cross-country trip. I flew out to Calif and got the bike and rode it back to Ohio in 2010. The prior owner took the bike to Cal-BMW for new tires, battery, brake fluid, and general check out before I flew out. My good luck was having 98lee spend about 10 hours with me after I landed in Calif. He gave me a whirlwind tutorial on K75S bikes while checking out the whole bike. Bike ran great, but since I have a number of other bikes, the 92 K75S sat thereafter. (This didn't stop me from flying out to AZ last year and getting an 88 K75S to make another cross country trip - but I let Iron Horse BMW give that bike a thorough going over).

So now I am giving my well rested 92 K75S (this is the blue one, Lee) a going over. I replaced tires, all fluids and filters (oil, air, fuel). All of the body work was removed in 2010 and replaced recently (what an interesting experience that was in some doing and undoing until I got it back together). The front brake lines were replaced (with Spiegler lines) and all brake fluid was flushed. Brakes feel good, not mushy.

Today I added fuel and the bike started right up. Once rolling the ABS light cleared, but the red engine light (with triangle symbol) stayed on. In looking at the wiring diagram I don't see where I could have left something unplugged, but I did notice a "bulb monitor" function. I have replaced brake, tail light, and head light with LED bulbs and have added LED running lights. I also added a Stebel horn using the existing horn wires.

Any suggestions regarding the Engine Trouble Light? Is this just a result of the "bulb monitor" not liking the LED lights? All connectors were disconnected, cleaned (WD-40), had a dab of dielectric grease applied, and reassembled - I did this one-at-a-time to avoid confusion - all lights (e.g. turn, hazard, brake, tail, headlight, etc.) appear to work correctly. Wonder if I have screwed something up?

Last edited:
Rob,

There is no engine trouble light. That is the bulb monitor light. When you put in your led tail and brake lights the leds don't show the proper resistance to the bulb monitor, so you get the light. There are some leds that have a resistor in parallel with the led to trick the bulb monitor.

As a test, change the tail and brake lights back to stock bulbs and make sure it works properly. Then search out leds that have the appropriate resistor.

:dance:dance:dance

Thanks, Lee! Puts my mind at rest that it actually is something that I likely caused and can fix.

As I've gone thru this bike, I've really come to appreciate the time and work that you did for me (and the K tutorial)!!

Any time. If you are searching for another one, there happens to be several very nice ones for sale near me at the moment.

:dance:dance:dance

Back