• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

/7 and Bing carb kit$...

tm1200s

...installed. I don't ride this thing nearly enough but I keep the battery charged, or replaced, and fire it up on occasion. But with the old floats being replaced every now and then, when I get into the second year or so it still runs but the fuel leaking all over the place is annoying. Pricing out the Bing kits with the alcohol safe floats and new bowls is very expensive at about $470 for all the stuff. Unfortunately, I've always gone the cheap route just buying what I needed but if I can fix this problem permanently then I'll try it this time. Read all the info on the pros and cons of the new style floats and bowls and ordered up the stuff. Complete rebuild kits with the alcohol safe floats and bowls substituted for the stock items. Before I go any further let me say that this is the best thing I've done for this bike since I bought it new in 1978. It runs as good as it ever did.

The kits were complete and even had new float needles with seats that needed to be pulled from the casting and the new seats pressed back in. I still have a gallon of the old style carb cleaner that I don't think is available any longer, at least not here in California, and so another carb rebuild was in progress. I already had enough info on these carbs to do the job and this is the first rebuild I've done on these where I replaced parts other than just the diaphragms, gaskets and O-rings. This time new needles, jets and seats along with the rest of the upgraded parts. The old carb cleaner did an excellent job, as usual, but I would have preferred using the ultrasonic that I unfortunately drained for a cleaning last week (and never refilled). Everything went back together nicely-float level and main jet needle set, new o-rings and gaskets and carbs re-installed. Fuel ON and left for a few minutes and no leaks. What a change. Started right up idling a bit high but after a balance and adjustments I got a smooth, steady idle at about 950. A test drive showed a lot of improvement over the last 'rebuild' that gave me trouble getting into the upper rpm range. Not so this time. No problems getting up towards the redline and also very smooth at freeway speeds+ . I'll put a few more miles on it this year having the freshly updated carbs, new tires and dampers and the previously completed paint and Buchanan's stainless spoke install. Did I mention that the cost of the new carb parts from Bing were well worth it and that it runs as good as it ever did?

tm

Last edited:
tm -

Glad things worked out. The "cons" of this alcohol-proof kit (namely the loss of the overflow tube) kind of turns me off. To date, I've never had issues with the standard white floats on my /7, probably using them much longer than most do.

tm -

Glad things worked out. The "cons" of this alcohol-proof kit (namely the loss of the overflow tube) kind of turns me off. To date, I've never had issues with the standard white floats on my /7, probably using them much longer than most do.

I have relatively new petcocks, but even so, I never had any leakage problems, ever, in the 'OFF' position. Had I encountered that problem I may have decided differently. Combined with almost never using the sidestand I don't think the overflow tube is gonna be an issue. On the other hand, if I get bored I may remove the overflow tubes from the original bowls and try and find a place to install them in the new bowls. Looks like there's a bit of room in there for that.

Back