• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2021 F900R octane question

gandrix11

I recently purchased a 2021 F900R and would like to know what is the correct fuel octane to run in this bike. The manual says 87 but the BMW web site about the bike says premium fuel. My dealer also says premium. 87, 89 or 93? Which is the correct answer?

Attachments

• 20220415_172414.jpg
    20220415_172414.jpg
    496.2 KB · Views: 148
I recently purchased a 2021 F900R and would like to know what is the correct fuel octane to run in this bike. The manual says 87 but the BMW web site about the bike says premium fuel. My dealer also says premium. 87, 89 or 93? Which is the correct answer?

The manual has its purpose.

Is there a factory sticker by the gas cap with the octane rating? My F800ST manual states Premium, but the sticker on the bike 89. So that is what it gets. 89:)

Welcome to the forum!
Great looking bike. Hope you have good luck with it.
On my F800GS, premium was recommended but there was an option to “re-map” the bike to sort of “de-tune” to run regular.
I think I would stay with premium. I like to have the dealer do the first service that way the computer can receive the latest updates.
Good luck.
Gary

I was worried more about ethanol in my gas as I ride infrequently and the bike sits alot. I only use ethanol free gas which is only available in 89 octane where I live. Never had any issues.

I was worried more about ethanol in my gas as I ride infrequently and the bike sits alot. I only use ethanol free gas which is only available in 89 octane where I live. Never had any issues.

Welcome to the forum!
I think your plan is perfect on two fronts. :thumb
Gary

BMW considers 89 AKI premium.
To see if they recommend 89 AKI or 91 AKI you have to look in the Ownrs Manual.

Last edited:
89 AKI is roughly equivalent to 93 RON which, I believe, is the standard in North America. So, run premium fuel in that bike - it'll be happier. :nod

Aren't the "premium" blends supposed to have more cleaning additives? In the case of Chevron, they claim that it has more Techron, and Shell "V-Power" has the "Nitro +" (recommended by BMW M).

Aren't the "premium" blends supposed to have more cleaning additives? In the case of Chevron, they claim that it has more Techron, and Shell "V-Power" has the "Nitro +" (recommended by BMW M).

Maybe, but when is enough enough? At 40 or more cents a gallon price difference I could afford a bottle of good injector cleaner after every couple of tanks of gas. But a dose of cleaner in a tank of fuel about every 12,000 miles major service is normally sufficient. And for overkill I could do it every 6K miles instead. So I run the 87 AKI specified for my bikes.

Back