• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2021/2022 TFT Protective Glass Accessory

Hello boborgail - I'm sure many here will agree that having the newest RT is a good thing. I have read some posts about the new TFT display on your RT and how good it is. To help me understand, I looked at the ASCycles website regarding the cost of replacement of that piece. Here's the PNG of what I saw:

Screen Shot 2022-01-11 at 6.07.49 PM.png

A couple of grand+ for a 10.5-inch piece of equipment on a motorcycle? Perhaps insurance would be a good investment?

Well- if you do bother with it- install it wet. That might be your only hope for a perfectly smooth bubble-less application. I got a set of these (pretty high quality, but not BMW branded) as a gift for Christmas. It was peeled off within minutes. Came with 2 films. A clear and a so called anti-glare.

Despite a flawless cleaning, and the utmost care in applying the film- (peel off backing and smooth it out as you go) I still had bubbles.

Personally- I'm not going to bother..

My horse sense tells me that damaging this thing while tucked in low behind the windscreen should be kind of difficult. It's not a touch screen so you should not be poking at it, right? :stick

Glare? The screen (set to default of 60 brightness) has so far been completely clear and visible in virtually all sunlit conditions except a short lived perfect shot from behind me. I just sat up and forward slightly- all good.

Theft seems more of a threat than damage. Probably heavily dependent on your locale, yeah? I think someone said that was why you have insurance.. I was going to grab one of those anti theft brackets that... oh... some Brit site was hocking. I deleted the bookmark a while back because while this bracket is evidently a tremendous add on for the smaller TFT's on the 6.5 GS, the new one for the 10.5 RT's seems a little compromised when you read the installation instructions. Apparently the RT does not have the securing points that the GS has.

I've got the smaller TFT displays on my 850gsa and 1250r. I tried the speedo-angels brand initially but they delaminated and looked like hell. Ended up slashing down for the BMW ones and I've no issues at all, no bubbles no delam. It's probably overkill on my 1250R but on my GS I'm always cleaning mud off the bike and almost certainly would have scratched the TFT by now. Cheap insurance in my mind. YMMV

Back