• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2016 R1200GS Adventure - Incorrect TPMS readings and erratic behavior

CMGR1100RT

The TPMS readings from my 2016 R1200GS Adventure have become erratic subsequent to a recent tire change. I ride ~ 70% curvy north Georgia mountain roads, 20% highway, 10% secondary roads, 0% off road, 0% track. I ride aggressively. I have ~ 6,700 miles.

The first 6,500 miles were on OEM Michelin Anakee IIIs. I never had an issue with accuracy of TPMS. The TPMS would display values typically within +/- .5 PSI of the values I filled the tires to using a tire gauge. I have three tire gauges which give similar results. Above is true when the tires are cold and “temperature compensation” is unlikely to be a factor. The TPMS-displayed values have seemed reasonable for the whole 6,500 miles.

At 6,500 miles, the dealer replaced the Michelins with Metzeler Roadtec 01s. Immediately (i.e.: in the dealer’s parking lot), I noticed that my TPMS values are 3 – 4 PSI lower than those of my gauge, even when the tires are cold. The dealer says there’s not much they can do because: “they do that”, “3-4 PSI is within BMW spec”, “It is entirely normal for the display to indicate a different pressure from a gauge due to temperature compensation”, “height above sea level”, “TPMS is a pressure monitor, not intended to set tire pressure”, do not use TPMS to determine tire pressure – only use it to determine whether there is a catastrophic loss of air. Of course, I don’t disagree with any of these; however, I view them as excuses for not investigating and rectifying the issue, since all these were true before the Metzelers were installed when the TPMS worked just fine. In addition to the incorrect pressures displayed, the TPMS is very slow to update. The first updated pressure readout from the front occurs at ~ 5 miles, the rear updates only after ~ 10 miles.

Does anyone have a solution/path forward? I was told by one local dealer that they can recalibrate the TPMS sending units to the exact (determined by a tire pressure gauge) air pressure in the tires. However, the dealer who installed the Metzelers denies that that can be done. If I decide to go that route, I think I need to trailer to the dealer, so the air pressure can be set cold without “temperature compensation” factoring in. I’m pretty frustrated that a silly thing like this on an almost-new bike is wasting time better spent riding, but the local dealer prefers a do-nothing approach.

I understand the TPMS is set at a temperature of 68 degrees. You gauge is giving you a value at the current temperature this makes for variations between the TPMS readout and your gauge.

My RT will gives me a read out within a very short distance of riding well within the first minute.

Jay

Neither of the replies you have received so far address the fact that the behavior changed when you changed tires. Let us know if or when you figure out what made the difference.

Thank you, BlueWaterCooled, you have succinctly zeroed in on the problem statement which I should have made clearer. I'm not trying to solve for variances between the TPMS and tire gauge readings. Temperature compensation and tire gauge error could explain that. No argument. I included that as evidence that the dealer is not addressing my issue. I wasn't trying to say that differences between TPMS readings and tire gauge readings are by themselves problems. The problem is: assuming everything else is constant, why did the tire change impact the behavior of the TPMS? Cold tire pressures at the exact same ambient temperature give completely different (and now incorrect) TPMS readings. If the Anakee IIIs were cold at 70 degrees Fahrenheit and I filled the rear to 42 PSI, the TPMS would typically readout ~ 41.9 - 42.3 PSI. Same assumptions with the Metzelers, TPMS says 36.9 PSI. Something is wrong.

I am going to ride over the weekend and will schedule a warranty service visit with the dealership which is further away, but the one that says they can recalibrate TPMS sending units. For all I know, they may appreciate the challenge of solving a problem the closer dealership cannot. To factor out temperature compensation, I will trailer the GSA to the dealer.

On my '16GSW, the TPMs typically read about 3-4 psi low, cold or warm tires. Both the dealer I bought it from, and my other local dealer indicated that is about "the normal." I've seen no variation in readings based on air temp (low of 20F, hi of 105F) nor altitude (low of 2,000, high of 13,000+). They DO what I need them to.. which is alert me to drastically low pressures. Picked up a finishing nail the other day- lost 5 psi in under 2 miles. Aired up with Sears compressor I had with me... and was able to limp home, stopping whenever psi dropped below 20psi (about 5-6 miles each time).
Happy consumer here.

Sorry, no additional thoughts on why a tire change might impact your readouts. I'd lean towards "coincidence".

On my '16GSW, the TPMs typically read about 3-4 psi low, cold or warm tires. Both the dealer I bought it from, and my other local dealer indicated that is about "the normal." I've seen no variation in readings based on air temp (low of 20F, hi of 105F) nor altitude (low of 2,000, high of 13,000+). They DO what I need them to.. which is alert me to drastically low pressures. Picked up a finishing nail the other day- lost 5 psi in under 2 miles. Aired up with Sears compressor I had with me... and was able to limp home, stopping whenever psi dropped below 20psi (about 5-6 miles each time).
Happy consumer here.

Sorry, no additional thoughts on why a tire change might impact your readouts. I'd lean towards "coincidence".

My thoughts on the issue of TPM operation :thumb
Sort of like trying to keep multiple tires reading exactly the same.
OM

over by 3 or 4

My tpm was always reading the same as the 3 gauges I used until the bike woke up this spring. Now the monitoring system reads 3 or 4 psi more than the 3 gauges I've always used. Therefore I'm going by the 3 gauges !
mine is a 2014 1200gsa.

My tpm was always reading the same as the 3 gauges I used until the bike woke up this spring. Now the monitoring system reads 3 or 4 psi more than the 3 gauges I've always used. Therefore I'm going by the 3 gauges !
mine is a 2014 1200gsa.

I consider the TPMs valuable to indicate a relative change, but never for an absolute pressure. Ballpark at best.

Is it possible that the dealer installed some balancing fluid goop (or tire plug goop) that is interfering with the sensor port on the TPMS unit. I haven't seen it happen in real life but I think it is theoretically possible. I have run a couple of sets of Anakee 3's and a few sets of Trail Attack 2's on my 2014 GSA and the TPMS always matches the tire gauge. I don't think it is possible to damage the sensor when replacing the tire such that it "sort of" works.

Update on TPMS accuracy issue. After ~ 250 miles, the issue resolved itself. The cold (~ 70 Fahrenheit) readings from the TPMS are very close to those I get from my gauges. After another 250 miles, the issue seems to be gone. My assumptions are that the TPMS went through a reset process or the spray tire mounting lubricant (as described by the dealership that installed the Metzelers) is no longer interfering. At any rate, the TPMS readings appear accurate now. Over the course of this process I found two things: 1) The Longacre-Magnum 3 ½” Tire Pressure Gauge 0-60 PSI GID-52001 seems to be very accurate. It is definitely well made, and 2) My local dealership will be considered a last resort only as there are better ones within an hours ride. Thanks.

I guess this could be a very good wake up to tell the tire installer to make sure they don't spray the tire like mad to lube it up, but to use a hand towel or something when they get near the sensor and to wipe the sensor with a dry (clean) cloth.

I really can't say what caused the inaccuracy issue or what resolved it. The dealership told me they used a spray lubricant to mount the Metzelers. I assume that is standard operating procedure and others don't experience the TPMS inaccuracy issue. Otherwise, everyone would be complaining as I did. All I know is there was a distinctive change that occurred simultaneously with the tire change which then corrected about 250 miles later. This is my first bike with TPMS. So, I've never had to worry about it in the past. However, having had this experience, I'm likely to only get my tires installed at the dealership in the future, so they have ownership if this occurs again. In the past I've had front tire changes at my local Harley shop, but will avoid that moving forward. Despite the added cost of going to the dealership, they are likely the only ones who understand and can diagnose/troubleshoot the TPMS system (with the obvious exception of my local dealership which bypassed the diagnosis/troubleshooting phase and moved immediately to the excuse-making phase.) I never even heard back from them concerning the case they opened with BMW. They must still be working diligently on a solution.

Back