• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2009 K1200Lt Shocks question

blackbeemer

Hello. I purchased an 09 54K miles on it a couple weeks ago, has anyone changed their shocks out with the Wilburs or Ohlins ? It rides pretty good really , I do get a little bang in the front shock if I hit a hard bump . Everything I read says at that miles they are shot . I did talk to Ted Porter this week at the Beemershop, lots of information from those folks . I am mostly asking about pronounced ride or riding experiences with these replacements, it would be customized to my weight, I very rarely to never ride two up anymore and not much cargo other than geared up.
I have watched the YouTube videos on changing them and looks like a pretty big job, and of course looking at around 1500 just for shocks with the preload rear .

Thank You

I put Wilbers on my ‘04 K1200GT, then had them rebuilt/reworked/resprung after adding the sidecar. Beemershop did a great job in both cases and I am quite happy with the performance of the shocks. Note that Wilbers are a steel-body shock where the Ohlins is aluminum body, and the Wilbers has a recommended rebuild interval almost double that of the Ohlins.

Best,
DG

Thank You , I didn't realize that about the different brands good to know. I am sure I would go with Beemershop from the conversations I had with them. Just trying to decide if I want to do it myself, I am sure I could but looks to be a pretty big job . I would imagine it would help the ride, the bike seems tight in all respects, and handles well for the size, but I just get a few more hard hits than I would like and want to optimize the ride and handling . Coming from a 99 R1100RT that ate up the Iowa back roads, just really wanted something more comfortable as I get a bit older , or more experience of years :)

Shocks are a "consumable" part - they need to be renewed/rebuilt every so often. I've heard 30-50k. This podcast had a nice overview from Ted Porter.

I would also make sure that you've dialed in your bike with reference to sag/preload. Many of us adjust the bike once and go - never thinking twice about load/speeds/etc., but it matters! Warning: math involved :scratch!!

Yes, it will be a big project, but you can take care of it over the winter with your other maintenance :)

Back