• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2004 R1150R Panniers Dilemma - Need Help

jbtex

I need some help:

I've now gone through two purchases of pannier sets for my 2004 R1150R on eBay. As far as I can tell, everything on the bike is stock, including exhaust and the side case mounts. However, both sets of panniers I purchased from sellers claiming that they fit the R1150R ended up not fitting.

The part numbers listed in the eBay posts are those of the lid, turns out. It seems to me that they fit several different model panniers, which might explain the dilemma I ran into.

Could someone who has the factory panniers on their R1150R confirm the part number of the bottoms for both the left and the right side? I looked at the microfiche on Max BMW, but that brought up more questions than answers.

I appreciate the help!

The parts fiche at Max BMW is very good, especially since it sometimes has photos and installation tips, but realoem.com has some advantages also when trying find models using the same part.

Your system case can be seen here:[url]http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=0439-USA-05-2004-R28-BMW-R_1150_R_01_0429,0439_&diagId=46_0581[/URL]. Clicking the blue part number will show a list of models that used same part.

In my experience, numbers stamped or molded into BMW parts are NOT useful for determining the actual part number. They may be totally unrelated to the part number, or only represent a portion of the part number. They probably are useful to BMW, or the part manufacturer, but are of no help to the end user or parts clerk.

The parts fiche at Max BMW is very good, especially since it sometimes has photos and installation tips, but realoem.com has some advantages also when trying find models using the same part.

Your system case can be seen here:[url]http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=0439-USA-05-2004-R28-BMW-R_1150_R_01_0429,0439_&diagId=46_0581[/URL]. Clicking the blue part number will show a list of models that used same part.

In my experience, numbers stamped or molded into BMW parts are NOT useful for determining the actual part number. They may be totally unrelated to the part number, or only represent a portion of the part number. They probably are useful to BMW, or the part manufacturer, but are of no help to the end user or parts clerk.

Appreciate the input, Larry.

The inability to use the BMW molded part numbers to identify compatibility is a shame. Unless I purchase the system cases new from a dealer, how will I be able to confirm whether what a seller on eBay is shipping will really fit? That's what I encountered these two times now, even though it was claimed that they fit the bike. That's why I was hoping someone having them on their R1150R could look at what they are reading on the top and bottoms. Not that you have to provide an answer to this one, but I hope that makes sense. :)

Back