• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2003 K1200RS Side and Center Stand re-build

k547

The side and center stand on my 51,000 mile, three previous owners bike looked terrible, after close inspection and some scraping I decided there was no corrosion, just a hellacious and tenacious coating of dirt that a wire brush and solvent wouldn't remove.

IMG_3913.jpg

IMG_3914.jpg

IMG_3915.jpg

IMG_3916.jpg

Sent out for sand blasting and then prepped for 60% semi gloss black powder coat, the center stand bushings and their bearing surfaces polished and new O rings installed with Maxima Waterproof (purple) motorcycle grease. Fasteners re-finished and new rubber stop pads and spring dampers installed. Now both stands retract smoothly and silently stop on the new, thicker rubber stops.

IMG_3920.jpg

IMG_3102.jpg

IMG_3105.jpg

IMG_3936.jpg

IMG_3937.jpg

IMG_3938.jpg

IMG_3933.jpg

Since I was already going to the powder coat shop I had the rear drive torque links re-finished in Silver semi gloss and installed new rubber bushings, the originals were hardened.

IMG_3167.jpg

IMG_3249.jpg

IMG_3163.jpg

IMG_3164.jpg

IMG_3231.jpg

IMG_3175.jpg

At 200 miles on clean dry roads the middle section of the freshly powdercoated centerstand cross bar was already being abraded by rear tire debris. Just a matter of time before it's thru to the metal. An easily installed/replaced sacrificial protection is needed.

I bought some bicycle frame protection adhesive backed clear film from Cambria Mountain Bikes.

IMG_4241.jpg

Made a template from printer paper and cut a piece of Lizard Skin to fit with a razor blade on a cutting board.
Sticker On! (for installing graphics on dirt bikes) was used to temporarily nullify the adhesive. Without this it would have been extremely difficult to position straight/centered/no air bubbles.

IMG_4242.jpg

IMG_4243.jpg

Last edited:
Back