• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2001 k1200lt banjo bolt removal

kinterridge

I have a new to me K1200LT, less than a month, 3rd owner. I've going through all service, all fluids, brakes, etc. Changing out the brake hoses w/ stainless, the banjo bolt up at the bracket where the 4 lines come together has the hex 's stripped out by either the original owner or one of the shops he used, I have all service records since purchased new. I am going to make the assumption I need to remove the block off the bike to remove it, unless some one has a better solution. Let me know, thanks.
k1200lt banjbolt.jpg

How about filling a couple of flats on opposite sides and grabbing it with a pair of vice-grips?
Or- take a small chisel with a good edge and tap it around……using multiple tap locations.
A bit of penetrating oil like WD-40 certainly won’t hurt.

OM

I would use the file but I am sure I can't get but one side, its tight up in there. I have hit it with 50/50 atf and acetone, I have female thread extractors, if I can get a good bite maybe..., I'm avoiding removing more tupperware than needed. Thanks for your thoughts.

If you can get a good heat source close to things, applying focused heat on the bolt heat and then putting more ATF/Acetone on as it cools will help draw the penetrant in. Time is your friend in these situations.

Good idea Kurt, I still have all my old lead working irons, I think I've got one that would work nicely up in there. I'll give it try if it doesn't come loose when I get home tonight, Thanks.

Get the next size up allen and bash it into the hole. I've done it. It's crude, but effective. Allens are fine, but if you can bash a Torx bit in there that's slightly larger, it's going to get you better purchase to get that thing out.

I'd also be applying PB Blaster like it was holy water and that thing was possessed, no matter the methodology. You only need to get it started, so once you've broken it free, the rest ought to be easy.

I also wouldn't be above grabbing it with a big ol' pair of ChannelLocks and twisting it out. That fastener is all done, so go medieval on it.

I was able to remove the junction bracket up inside and removed the banjo bolt with a 4" Stillson wrench. All good. Thanks for the input.

A little update on the 2001 K1200LT. I bought this about 5 weeks ago. 1st fuel injected bike I've ever owned. Changed all fluids and filters. Installed new front and rear brake pads. Replaced front brake hoses w/ SS lines from EME, they were bad, slow to release. rear hose was replaced a year ago for same issue by PO. Flushed and flushed system. New ME888 rear tire. Removed 35' of accessory wiring from non-existent accessories and fuse blocks form 1st owner, I'm the 3rd owner. ABS did not always clear itself (lights stayed on or flashed) until 1 or 2 restarts than would be fine after pull out. All seemed good. Left for Maine from SC, wife and I, 2 up on 9/29 3400+ miles made it back yesterday 10/01. Battery died out side Reading PA, previous battery was from '07, amazing. Replaced it with a Yausa from Battery Warehouse in Wernersville, PA which I highly recommend. Spins over much faster and ABS test clears first time every time. Battery was an issue. All now is good.

A little update on the 2001 K1200LT. I bought this about 5 weeks ago. 1st fuel injected bike I've ever owned. Changed all fluids and filters. Installed new front and rear brake pads. Replaced front brake hoses w/ SS lines from EME, they were bad, slow to release. rear hose was replaced a year ago for same issue by PO. Flushed and flushed system. New ME888 rear tire. Removed 35' of accessory wiring from non-existent accessories and fuse blocks form 1st owner, I'm the 3rd owner. ABS did not always clear itself (lights stayed on or flashed) until 1 or 2 restarts than would be fine after pull out. All seemed good. Left for Maine from SC, wife and I, 2 up on 9/29 3400+ miles made it back yesterday 10/01. Battery died out side Reading PA, previous battery was from '07, amazing. Replaced it with a Yausa from Battery Warehouse in Wernersville, PA which I highly recommend. Spins over much faster and ABS test clears first time every time. Battery was an issue. All now is good.

Excellent!

Back