• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2000 R1200C Montana

jmoser501

Hi everyone, new to this forum and also new to my 2000 montana r1200 c, anyway just got the bike last week with 26k miles in pristine conditions seems like, test drove it and did everything right. brought it home rode for two days or so no problems what so ever, on third day when is in first gear and let the clutch out there is a whinnying noise for just a second like a lose belt on a car??, this only happens from stand still when is first started, it does do it from stop after being rolling for awhile ! any ideas anyone ? TIA
Another ? are these 1200 C series on the clunky side when shifting gears? just wondering? I have a 1200 gs and sure enough is pretty smooth shifting thanks again

Hi everyone, new to this forum and also new to my 2000 montana r1200c, anyway just got the bike last week ........ on third day when is in first gear and let the clutch out there is a whinnying noise for just a second like a lose belt on a car??, this only happens from stand still when is first started, it does do it from stop after being rolling for awhile ! any ideas anyone ? TIA
Another ? are these 1200 C series on the clunky side when shifting gears? just wondering? I have a 1200 gs and sure enough is pretty smooth shifting thanks again

What you are describing sounds like the ABS2 system self-test. After starting the bike, the ABS2 will perform a self-test when you first roll away. The self-test will also be performed after a stop and after traveling for about 10 or more miles. As long as you aren't getting an ABS fault light, this is normal.

The 1200C bikes were a lot more like the 1100 models, especially the transmission. "Agricultural" is used to describe them a lot. Takes a bunch of miles to get used to them. Preloading the shifter when changing gears will help to smooth it out and matching revs will also help. Picture of the bike would be nice, they are oddly good looking.

.... on third day when is in first gear and let the clutch out there is a whinnying noise for just a second like a lose belt on a car?

Check the tension on the alternator belt. At 26k miles and 20+ years old, you may want to replace it while you're in there.

I believe the gearbox on the 1200C is different than the one on your GS. And yes, they are a bit clunkier (pardon the use of this highly technical term). Preloading the shifter and being positive with your boot helps on upshifts and don't be lazy. Also, blip the throttle on downshifts.

Last edited:
Welcome Chromehead!

Clunky? Yes, some are.

If you haven't already, come over and check out chromeheads.org

Dedicated to our bikes and owners.

Ha! I think I saw that bike and was considering buying it for nostalgic reasons.
The 1200c was my first real bike back in 1999.

Definitely clunkier than my current 1200gs. :)

Back