• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

05 K1200 RS compared to 08 K1200 S

Vagabird

A wandering Bird
Perhaps this has been covered before, but I've been drooling on K bikes for years and now think I'm almost ready to plunk down some money on one. The only K bike I ever rode was a GT at the rally in Gillette. I think I'd rather have an S or, ideally, an RS. I just saw an '05 RS for sale with low mileage. I love the look. I know the engine is completely different, but how much difference is there between the 05 RS and the 08 S? Is it an incremental difference or is it a night-and-day difference? :scratch

Are you talking about the '04 RS or the '06-'07 K1200R Sport? I have a 2000 K1200RS, which was basically the same from '97 to '04, other than the front end and brakes and I also have a '05 K1200S. They are very different. The K1200RS is true sport touring, plenty of smooth power for 2-up riding, nice size hard bags with an attatchment system that blends in when the bags are not on the bike, creature comforts like adjustable handle bars, seat, footpegs and windshield. Great ABS braking. Enough weight to smooth out some bumps, but not lose the feel of the road. All in all a smooth, comfortable ride. The K1200S is lighter, has increased horsepower, non-adjustable anything (other than suspension), but still has BMW regular items like heated grips, ABS (option) trip computer and hard bags (option, smaller). The "S" is better described as "Snappy" compared to the smooth RS. It falls into turns, gives great feedback from the road, stops on a dime and has a power band I wasn't ready for the first couple of rides. The RS is more linear, with fairly strong acceleration the whole way up from 2000 RPM's, the S is similar until you get to 6000 RPM's, then it just takes off. I have to think more about smooth throttle control on the S, as it is less forgiving, wanting to be either on or off. It doesn't seem to like just tooling around, it wants to run.

Those are my thoughts. I am keeping the S, the RS is for sale. Mostly because I do little 2 up riding, and they are too close in style to keep them both. Good luck on your hunt for a K bike, let us know what you end up with!

Are you talking about the '04 RS or the '06-'07 K1200R Sport? I have a 2000 K1200RS, which was basically the same from '97 to '04, other than the front end and brakes and I also have a '05 K1200S. They are very different. snip
I have to think more about smooth throttle control on the S, as it is less forgiving, wanting to be either on or off. It doesn't seem to like just tooling around, it wants to run.

Those are my thoughts. I am keeping the S, the RS is for sale. Mostly because I do little 2 up riding, and they are too close in style to keep them both. Good luck on your hunt for a K bike, let us know what you end up with!

My exact sentiments. I think once you ride the S for 5K miles or so, it tools around town ok. I found that I had to take all the slop out of the throttle control though (easily adjusted just under the throttle control handle). Otherwise it was hard to turn it on and off smoothly. I have about 24K miles on Ses now and loving it.

Thanks for your input. I'll just have to ride the various possiblities. I'll also have to wait just a little longer to be brave enough to spend the required money.

Back