• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

speedometer

1. 2

Speedometer/Odometer issues

The speedometer on my 1972 R 75/5 seems to be acting up as the needle jumps occasionally and doesn't seem to give an accurate speed, and I don't think it is recording the mileage accurately. I haven't had time to disconnect the cable to see if it is broken, or to try lubing it, but I am...
  2. P

Speedo "retro-mod" quesions

I'm sorry that I don't fully understand how mechanical speedo's work and the math behind the ratios--figured someone smart on here might be able to nudge me in the right direction. From my reading it appears that each and every bike that BMW produced seems to have slightly different speedos or...
  3. stevenrankin

Terry Vrla Speedometer repair

Does anyone have Terry's current email address, I had it and lost it, can't find it in the forum. St.
  4. R

Speedo question

On my 2002 1150GS the speedo stopped working while on a ride. I took off the cable at the base and spun the tire and the small arm that twists the cable did spin but not fast. It was more like a quarter turn at a time. Is this correct? I'm wondering what broke and started there. Thanks.
  5. S

Aftermarket Speedometer Conversion (1978 R100RS) - hints or advice for success?

Hi, longtime BMW owner (R1200C) but new to BMW MOA and the forums. Also a new owner of a '78 R100RS (though the fairings have been replaced to look like an 'S'). The speedo on it is busted. The previous owner said he'd actually fixed it once but it broke again soon thereafter and he gave up...
  6. B

1991 R100RT tach issue

Hey guys; I have an issue on my 91 bmw r100rt. I thought I had a speedo problem, thinking it was reading high but I took my GPS with me and the speedo is almost perfect. So now I'm thinking it must be a tach issue. At 70 MPH it reads 5000 RPM. I have a 120/90 18 on the back with 33/11 finial...
  7. k12junky

Speedo and tach needles without illumination 08 K1200GT

Hello out there. Has anyone had issues with unlit speed and tachometer needles? The cluster lights right up but no illuminated needles. Local dealership said there are no bulbs lighting them, it must be wiring connection. Any help appreciated.
  8. 26667

+6 mph???

It's probably been answered before, but just passing thru a construction zone with the lighted sign that tells "Your Speed" and of course my R11RT is 6MPH optimistic. My '82 R100 was exactly the same. I've found the same to be true when I ride with GPS; it's always +6 Why!!?? Why? Why?:scratch...
  9. plehman

R90 Odometer repair (again)

http://www.pbase.com/dwerbil/image/14562012 Odometer stopped working recently. I'd done the JB Weld procedure before and the gear on the main shaft seems to be solid. But the worm gear was not engaged against the main shaft when I opened it up. When I turn it against the worm gear I cannot move...
  10. H

After Market Speedometer/Tachometer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn0sXZ5uV0M&list=WL&index=2 Does anyone know what type of speedometer this is 3:40 seconds in and if there is a tachometer equivalent? would this just fit in the same as a stock speedometer?
  11. kentuvman

Positive Experience with Overseas Speedometer

I had some cosmetic and condensation issues with the speedo side of my instrument Pod on my K75s. Sent to Rick at Overseas Speedo primarily because he advertises in MOA and his website states he works on the K speedo pods and has a picture on his website. Shipped it to him from MN to TX on a...
  12. D

Alternative Tachometer 77' 100/7

Simplifying a project 77' /7: Looking to replace the tachometer on my 100/7. Anyone know of any other same ratio, plug and play solutions? I'm mounting it elsewhere, so doesn't need to fit in the big top cluster. That big cluster is no more. I'd like to use something smaller, mechanical and...
Back