• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

tires

1. K

Intro and Tire question

Hi, I'm a new-ish member from Massachusetts and have been riding for about 8 years. I'm now on a 2013 BMW F700GS. I have a tire question. I currently have Dunlop Trailmax tires on my bike which I really like. There are only about 1,000-1,500 miles on them. I am taking a long trip (about...
  2. G

Adventure Tires - sizing on 1984 R100T

I'm baffled by how difficult it has been to find reliable or consistent information on selecting updated metric tire sizing to fit my '84 R100. The bike has 20 year old Metzeler Enduro 3's on it. They're pretty tired (pun) at this point. Would like to put a pair of Shinko 705's or TKC70's on...
  3. P

Tyre lifetimes/mileages

Good morning all, Aside from oil chemistry, another thing that I really like are tyres. Kind of related I guess. I’ve been coming up to the end of the original tyres that I got on this 2019 GSA which were the Michelin Anakee Adventures. A bit of research on various adventure bike and Michelin...
  4. M

R1100RT - Michelin Road 3 need replacing and no 18 inch Road5s from Michelin ?

I am told that I can't get the Michelin Road 5s for my R1100RT rear tire ie 160 / 60 18 ? Is the Pirelli Angel GT a good substitute ?
  5. W

R1150R tires, again!

Ok, im looking for tires for my low mile R1150R. I know this has been brought up in the past, but with so so many choices ranging from $400 perellis to $150 shinkos im a little overwelmed. Michelin's website recomends 2ct's. Any current suggestions? I ride mostly locally on Long Island, so...
  6. M

1998 R1100RT Tires...

Hey gang! So, the last two tire changes, I've run Metzeler Roadtech Z6s on front and back. I have been super-happy with them. I had bought a new Z6 for a good price for the front a while back and have been waiting for the current tires to need changing before buying the rear. They are now ready...
  7. G

Newbie: '99 K1200RS tires - what's good, what's bad?

I expect to pick up a 1999 K1200RS with low miles next week and I'm anticipating I'll need tires for it. Are there current recommendations for particular tires? A compromise between performance and mileage would be appropriate. Thanks for your advice.
  8. R

Skid Plate - Clearwater - Tires - oh my

Howdy All, I'm relatively new to the ADV world and ride a 2016 R1200 GSA. I've had recommendations to add a stronger skid plate. I've looked at Blackdog, Touratech and Altrider options. The Blackdog seems the best but it's heavy and I'm not that cool off road, I do mainly dirt roads, fire...
  9. Astrin

Please recommend a tire mounter/balancer in Santa Fe

Hi, folks. We're new to Santa Fe and I've finished off a rear tire and need to find a tire mounter/balancer in the area. I was really spoiled with Steve Parker in Madison, and would like to find a similar situation, a person or shop that does a great job for not a ton of money (around $20 per...
  10. whm1226

Nitrogen instead of air

I had to get new tires on my car last week and they put nitrogen in them. The tire tech said the they lose less air because the molecules are four times the size of the oxygen molecules in air. Thus it does not seep out as well. He also said that the tire pressure would be more stable from...
  11. B

Service Available - Good deals on tires

This will be my first time to the national rally and I am looking forward to it. Will there be any service available for our bikes? Thinking of buying some tires since by the time I get there, I will be due for new shoes. Is this a good idea or will the selection and availability be limited...
  12. T

Side Car Tires - R90/6 - Jawa

Hello! After fixing login issues... this is my first post. :-) I have a couple of airheads and recently acquired a 1974 R90/6 with a side car setup by Jawa. Its a nice rig but I don't have a good place to store it other than outside with covers. So my plan is to fix a few small things and...
  13. M

Tire Brand

Replacing the tires on my 72 75/5. Are the original Metzlers still the best choice?
  14. grover1949

Metzler LaserTech or Avon M26 for '83 R65?

I'm going to be rebuilding the forks and replacing wheel bearings on my 1983 R65. While the wheels are off, I intend to replace the tires. The 3.25 and 4.00 x 18s are hard to find, but I have found 100/90-18 and 110/90-18 Metzler Lasertech and Avon M26 on line. Any and all recommendations...
  15. R

Tire Warranties

TIRES, TIRES. This may seem an odd thread, but it seems I hear and experience more and more MC shops and dealers that don't honor any warranty for tires and tubes. Most recent experience: new tire and tube. Dealer in CT did the whole job. From removal from bike to remount. 700 miles and...
  16. greggsnider

Road Pilot 3 problems - 07 RT

On my way home from a Blue Ridge Parkway trip, I discovered that my rear Road Pilot 3 was effectively trashed: the left sidewall was showing white cord all the way 'round, with deeper flat patches showing through the cord. I got heart palpitations when I saw that - we could have had a major...
  17. B

1988 K100 RS questions

I'm trying to check all splines by myself and get the machine going again. 1. What grease is recommended for the swing arm bearings? 2. What grease is recommended for the drive shaft universal joint? 3. I'm going to use a 50/50 mix of Honda moly 60 and Wurth 3000 for the splines as I...
  18. M

First Impressions: Continental Road Attack 2 R1200RT

Here are my impressions of the Road Attack 2s after completing 10,000 miles on a set of Michelin Pilot Road 2s. While we're there though, I'll say the PR2s wore like stone. I never felt uncomfortable with the tires handling. Though the PR2s wore like stone, they had cupped so badly that I...
  19. C

front end wobble in turn on airhead

hey, i was out riding the 84 R65 over the weekend up in Shenandoah. the bike ran fine, but i noticed when i leaned over in the sweepers on 211 near Skyline Drive doing about 50 mph, that a wobble would be induced at the more aggressive lean angles. the pavement appeared smooth, anyway it was...
  20. 1

not sure what to do

I'm in a bit of a quandry. I have a 76 r90 that I bought thinking this would be the bike I could crisscross America on while making yearly reliability and comfort improvements. Sort of like the Breakfast 101 story in the current ON-I love that story! After a 1700 mile trip last summer, it...
Back