• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

spline lube

1. jhall

Transmission Spline Lube Task

Today, I prepared to lube the 1995 RT's splines tomorrow morning. Got some Dow Corning M77 grease on hand, and found the 27mm socket I'd had trimmed to fit the swing arm lock nuts 35-40 years ago. Will also address the t/o bearing, and maybe install the new cable I have on hand. Hopefully will...
  2. F

What mileage for 1st spline lube?

My 1999 RT has about 60,000 kms on it. Other than a planned brake line upgrade, there's no maintenance items outstanding for the upcoming riding season. At what mileage is the spline lube recommended? I think I'm there but I don't have much time to donate to the garage as I'm busy with several...
  3. T

Output shaft on 1150 transmissions?

Can someone please explain to me why BMW has so much trouble with splines? On the old Airheads it was the final drive splines. On the 1150 oil heads it’s the transmission output splines. My bike has 30,000 on it and I baby the heck out of it. I don’t know if the output shaft splines are bad or...
  4. B

Re-installing Final Drive - Lubricant Recommendation?

Anyone recommend a particular brand or type of grease to use on the U-joint shaft and/or the pivot bearings when I reinstall my final drive this week? Thanks!
  5. J

clutch lube for 2000 r1100rt

Hi guys , stripped out the drive ,swing arm shaft and gearbox every thing fine good splines, and had been lubed, my question is I have BMW motorcycle lube GL261 for clutch splines and drive shafts ,which I have used on my airheads will it be ok for my oilhead? I want it to be right as always...
  6. 2

Spline Lube for 1983 R100 RS

Does anyone know of a source for written instructions for doing the spline lube on a 1983 R100RS?
  7. jimvonbaden

R1200GSw LC Wethead Final Drive change and Spline Lube Pictorial!

While not part of the BMW Service Schedule, it is a good idea to do this at the 6 or 12 K service. This is especially true if you do a lot of deep water crossings, ride in the rain often, or just put on a lot of miles. There have been cases of corrosion in the FD on several bikes, though not a...
  8. G

clutch spline lube, @ 32ks?

Haven't seen much about lubing the spline on my 2011 GSA.. Does anyone recommend it? That BMW mechanic on youtube Chris Harris, discusses clutch R1150 problems of not using the full length of spline on the trans input shaft.. I'm hoping that that was corrected on the later years... I...
  9. R

Spline lube, easy improved transmission support method for single shock bikes

I don't know if this will help with dual shock bikes but for single shock bikes it's fast and easy. I bought two M8x1.25x60 hex cap screws from Lowes. One 48" by 1" nylon web strap with plastic friction buckle from outfitters. Sling the transmission as shown in the picture. Make sure you go...
  10. F

'11 R1200RT will not Downshift at times

My '11 R1200 RT will sometimes fail to downshift. I have experienced this problem when shifting from 4th to 3rd and from 3rd to 2nd. This has happened only 3-4 times while riding in cold weather but with the engine fully warmed up. The RT has 6K miles and has had a easy life. Any...
  11. detbmw

2000 R1100RT Spline Lube

A buddy (Jeff448) and I are planning to do a clutch spline lube on my 2000 R1100RT sometime in the next month. I'm looking for specific, step-by-step instructions for an R1100RT. I've found instructions for an R1150RT, but not an 1100. Thanks, Rich
  12. 118933

Spline Grease

Hi guys I have just disassembled the swing arm on my 93 K75s for the first time and have found the splines in good shape (32,000 miles) but they are dry. Anyone out there know what I should use for lubing the splines. Thanks Alan
Back