• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

headlight

1. W

07 GS Headlight Conversion to LED

Recently purchased a 2007 R1200GS after previously owning a 1997 R1100GS and a 2007 R1200RT. It's clear that the current halogen headlight is sub-par and I would like to convert to LED lighting. In my research here and elsewhere I read lots of references to the "parking light" but I'm not sure...
  2. tangoalpha

Light bulb replacement - recommendations

Hello again you Oilheads. Well....seems as though I'm full swing again with myriad of projects with Der Bimmer. It's been awhile, so perhaps my bike just felt the need to bring me back to the garage to keep my mechanic skills fresh. Seems like one project begets another and before you know...
  3. R

2003 R1150RT lighting upgrade

Over the winter I upgraded the front lighting on my new-to-me 2003 R1150RT. This was prompted by my first (and only) ride home on the bike after dusk, one week after I bought it last November. The headlight was abysmally dim. After doing a little bit of research I discovered it wasn't a problem...
  4. mikegalbicka

H7 spring clip removal and locking

These videos show a close up of replacing an H7 headlight on a 2007 R1200RT. They were taken after removing the entire headlamp assy following the instructions in these articles https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?35262-HEXHEAD-Tech-R1200RT-Plastic-Removal-2008-Model...
  5. Bdiver

Headlight switch gone bad again....

A long time ago (in a land far away...) So back in 2005 my headlight went out on a trip which made me have to stop for a motel on my way home. I replaced the headlight and still no go. Found out it was the switch so I got a used one off ebay. I also installed relays for both the high and low...
  6. P

Have you upgraded the headlight on your R1200Rt???

I'd like to upgrade the OEM headlights on my '06 R1200Rt to something brighter and with a cooler tint. I came across the Kensun Xenon HID H7 6000k replacement Bulbs on Amazon and was wondering if anyone has done the change. Any recommendations?:scratch
  7. J

Headlight Guards - DIY Lexan

I’ve been working on my new to me 2010 R1200GS – and decided to make a headlight guard. I had a lexan clear protector on my R1150GS so decided to go that way again. I purchased some Lexan ($4.79 10”x10” square) at Lowes, along with duolock 3M fastener tape ($4.39 at Ace Hardware) – like...
  8. Y

Tool for Changing Headlights on an RT - 2007 R1200RT

I found that changing the headlight bulbs is difficult, especially with my big hands. I discovered a helpful tool. It is made from the frame of a window screen. An aluminum window screen is basically a rectangle tube with a u-shaped groove for putting the rubber screen holder in. If you cut...
  9. 6

Luftmeister /7 voltmeter/clock access

I can see a loose wire behind the voltmeter inside my Luftmeister fairing by looking through the turn signal port and can feel it by reaching in through the side opening, but I need need better access to reattach the wire. I read various threads about fixing and replacing voltmeters, but no one...
  10. M

1987 K100 RT headlight problems

Happy first day of summer all... Just bought my second bike and second BMW. First was an '86 R80RT. Like my K, so far. 47,000 miles on it. 50 AMP alternator was not charging properly, turned out to be faulty connections. All set with that. Now, my headlight has been going off. Does come back...
  11. grover1949

Should this wire be connected? '83 R65

I'm still trying to track the problem with no headlights on my '83 R65. The problem began when I removed the tach to replace a bad bulb and socket in the neutral and high beam indicator lights. After the repair, I had no headlights. While digging deeper tonight, I found a connector in the...
  12. J

Tarnished Reflector on R75/5

Hi all, Was replacing the rubber gasket and spring clips on my headlamp today (as well as cleaning the glass) and I noticed that my reflector is starting to tarnish. Is there any-way to clean the reflector? It appears to be a metal reflector, rather than the plastic version that Hucky sells...
  13. grover1949

"No-kill" kill switch and no headlight on R65

I have two electrical gremlins on my '83 r65 which may or may not be related. 1) Kill-Switch: The only thing the kill switch will kill is any bug it hits at 50+mph. I disconnected the battery ground, took the right side starter/kill switch off, cleaned it with electronic contact spray...
  14. C

Fuses on a 1974 R 90 6

I was adjusting my hand brake light switch and accidently blew the fuse for the brake lights and the turn signals. I looked at the owners manual and I think the fuses are behind the headlight. The manual tells you how to put the headlight and ring back on but not how to take it off. Help.
  15. wavery

'87 K100RS Intermittent Headlight - installing a relay

When I turn my headlight on on my '87 K100RS, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't, the high beam indicator lights up (with no actual high beam coming from the headlight). I understand headlight problems are common with these bikes, and reading through the forums the three...
Back