• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

transmission

1. M

All neutrals after deceleration

My '94 R100R with 15K miles suddenly after decelerating from highway speed went into neutral and wouldn't engage any gear. The clutch pull became abnormally light. The clutch cable and external linkage all appear intact. After rotating the the rear wheel back and forth with the bike on the...
  2. K

1978 R100/7 Transmission: New thread for an old problem

If anyone has some experience with this issue, I am looking for someone who can rebuild the transmission with this specific problem in mind. Background: From 2010-2012 I completely restored a R100/7 and documented the entire process here on the forum. An awesome experience, but at the end, I...
  3. P

'04 R1150RT Transmission Oil Recommendation

Hi All - What is the current thinking on what transmission oil to use on my 2004 R1150RT? I reviewed posts that I could find on all oilheads. It seems that Mobile 1 (75w140) might be better than BMW recommendation (90W?). I am hesitant to go to RedLine Heavy, but could quiet shifting. No...
  4. L

'96 1100 GS skips in third gear

Just replaced my clutch and trans input shaft for worn splines last winter. Now my bike has a third gear skip. Didn't notice it before. I've read some of the information on the Internet about this issue. It seems that M93 and M94 transmissions had this problem. Did the M97 have this issue...
  5. G

1996 R1100GS Transmission Install: Tiny parts on bolts, what are they for?

I have the rebuilt transmission in my possession, and decided to mount it back to rear of engine tonight. It has been a few weeks since I removed it, and my notes are less than copious, so that now I am unsure as to how these tiny bits are to be aligned, and furthermore, what are they for...
  6. R

'98 K12RS stuck in 5th gear

My 98 K12Rs has 55,575 miles. I was 8 miles from home when I tried to down shift and found the trans was stuck in 5th gear. Only had I intersection so I got home ok. Shut bike and checked shifter, it seemed to have excessive play but as I had never checked it b4, who van say? Still stuck in 5th...
  7. Darryl Cainey

Circlip Groove

Got the dreaded Circlip Groove cut, now time to put it all back together!
  8. L

'96 1100GS Won't Shift into 4th or 5th

My first riding season ended last summer with worn clutch splines and a tow home. I replaced the clutch myself but had my local BMW dealer replace the heavily fretted transmission input shaft. Today was the first warm enough day to ride the bike and get it up to speed. It shifted through...
  9. J

'72 BMW R75/5 4-speed Gearbox Cover Change - What to Expect?

Howdy BMWMOA Forum, I was hoping to get some recommendations, warnings, advice, etc. on a (hopefully) simple transmission job that I am planning on doing in the coming weeks/months. I got a great priced ($200) 4-speed gearbox off of Ebay; the owner alleges it shifts great and was taken out...
  10. L

Transmission chattering in first gear 1991 R100 RT

Hey everyone, I am rebuilding a 1991 R100 RT transmission myself this winter and wanted to enlist the help of the form. With 89k miles it developed a skip in first gear. Within 200 miles from the first occurrence that skip deteriorated into the eventual loss of use of first gear entirely. When...
  11. F

Rear wheel rotational play when in gear-04 RT

I have 04 RT and have wondered how much is to much rotation in the rear wheel when the machine on the center stand and in first gear. On mine, which just turned 40K, when rotated, it has exactly 2" measured from the widest part of the tire. As you start going up in the gears the rotation gets...
  12. J

2001 R1150 GS - Clutch / Transmission Failure at 14,500 miles

Today I headed out for a ride on a beautiful day in Michigan - one of few we've had this spring. I had the 6,000 interval service completed at my local BMW dealership at about 13,500 miles in March. Check oil every time I ride, and at every fill up - no issues with burning oil or leakage...
  13. Spinakr

2005, R1200RT, Clunky shift?

Hi all, Just recently noticed that I seem to have some "clunky" up-shifts. When I bought the bike a year ago, I don't think I noticed this. Is something out of adjustment? Or is there something I can check? Many thanks, Rob Oh! And to add, I only have 27k on the ODO
  14. J

Spline Evaluation Request... (93 K75S)

For the Cognosenti (or the Teutonic Equivalent), what do you think about both the clutch hub and transmission input shaft splines? Yes, I have a reason to ask - I'd rather hear condition reports first before "explaining". ;)
  15. K

Sticky shift lever. Shift lever pivot seized

Hi- I'm a very relieved oilhead owner. I thought I had an expensive transmission prob, but it was just the shift lever. Two questions... I have a 2001 R1150GS with 95,000 miles. The transmission started getting very hard to shift. The shift lever would stay in the last position- I had to...
  16. H

K1200 GT Transmission Whine

I just bought a 2008 1200GT yesterday with 500 miles. After 25 years of Harley riding there is lots to get used to. The first 200 miles have been a lot of fun. I was wondering about the high pitched whine of the transmission in the K-Bike - especially when rolling it on at highway speed - is...
  17. saylorspond

Yet Another Clutch/Transmission Question

In searching through the many posts on spline/clutch/transmission issues, I have not found the answer to my particular questions. My 1999 R1100RT-P now has 89,000 miles on it. Purchased this spring, I have put over 5000 miles on it this summer and was planning on using it for my regular...
  18. K

1996 R850R hesitation as you roll on the throttle

Although I've read a lot of posts about the legendary hesistation issue with these bikes and the 1100, but I haven't come across anything that seems to address the two issues I have. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it! 1996 R850R, salvaged bike, 2 brothers exhaust with a power commander...
Back