• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

r65

1. T

1984 R65 Brembo Brake Identification (36mm bore?)

So on my '84 R65 - I would like to rebuild my front brake caliper & master cylinder, as the front brake has always felt weak to me. Right now, I'm trying to identify my front calipers. I have a single Brembo caliper on my bike, mounted on the left as shown in the picture. Looking at the back...
  2. G

Serial Number Lookup

I'm looking for detailed info on a recent purchase. I'm pretty sure it's a 1986 R65, but would like confirmation via serial number lookup. The serial number is WB1046200G6128294. Can someone tell me how to do this? Thanks, Rick
  3. R

Can you short out cylinders to balance carbs?

My friend has an R65 with the double coil located under the tank towards the front on the right side. Questions are: does the bike have adjustable points under the canister under the front cover, does it have electronic ignition, and can we short out cylinders to adjust the carburetor balance?
  4. M

Stuck / Broken R65 Gas Cap

The gas cap on my 1981 R65 just spins when you turn it - it wasn't locked and using the key doesn't fix the problem. Anyone have any experience with this problem or bright ideas how to solve? My next step is to drain the tank, refill with water and drill out the cap. Any experience or ideas...
  5. F

Greetings from Eaton Rapids Michigan

Happy to be part of the BMW community once again. I rode a K1200RS for a number of years in the early 2000's but gave it up when my hips went bad. The hips are new and working well so I've picked up a bit of a project in a 1983 R65 that is running but needs some TLC. I've just now started...
  6. D

'83 R65 Starter Troubleshooting Advice

Hello! I'm new to the forum but hoping someone with more experience might have some advice about an issue I've recently had with my 1983 BMW R65. About three weeks ago I noticed a metallic rattle when the engine was running (particularly in low gears). Didn't want to run it much hoping to...
  7. grover1949

High Idle on '83 R65

About 4 years ago, I bought a 1983 R65. When hot, I would pull in the clutch and the engine would want to idle at 2500-3000 rpm. If stopped, I could put it in gear and start to let the clutch out; once the rpm dropped under 2,000, the engine would settle down to an idle of 750-800 rpm. I...
  8. G

R65 Brake lever has no pressure, trying to bleed

I've recently acquired my first motorcycle -- a 1982 BMW R65. Today I decided to do some work on the brakes but have run into problems. I rode it twice the day after getting it back from the mechanic for a tune-up since the bike had been sitting for a long time. He assured me the bike was in...
  9. J

What tires for my 1985 R65?

My 1985 R65 has been running Metzler Lasertec tires 90x90x18 front and 120x90x18 rear. Can anyone please suggest any options as to what brand, style and size I should look at to replace them? This is my full time daily ride in all weather conditions.
  10. grover1949

Starter Problem on '83 R65

Last week, after about a 20 mile ride, when I went to start my '83 R65, I could hear the relay click under the seat, but nothing from the starter. After hitting the starter button 4-5 times, it kicked in and fired right up. This morning, same thing; it required 4-5 hits of the starter button...
  11. grover1949

Looks like it's time to...

...rebuild the forks!
  12. grover1949

Amazing incompetence?

A little over a year ago, I bought a used BMW from a reputable group that reconditions them. After a test ride, while the bike was idling, I was going to flip the kill switch and the guy says, "Oh no. Don't do that." I didn't think anything of it. However, a little while ago I did...
  13. grover1949

Metzler LaserTech or Avon M26 for '83 R65?

I'm going to be rebuilding the forks and replacing wheel bearings on my 1983 R65. While the wheels are off, I intend to replace the tires. The 3.25 and 4.00 x 18s are hard to find, but I have found 100/90-18 and 110/90-18 Metzler Lasertech and Avon M26 on line. Any and all recommendations...
  14. grover1949

Should this wire be connected? '83 R65

I'm still trying to track the problem with no headlights on my '83 R65. The problem began when I removed the tach to replace a bad bulb and socket in the neutral and high beam indicator lights. After the repair, I had no headlights. While digging deeper tonight, I found a connector in the...
  15. grover1949

R65 High Idle After Backfire

A few days ago, my '83 R65 backfired twice through the right carb while I was trying to start it. I added more choke and it fired and ran nicely... except: Now, after about 20-30 minutes of riding, when the engine is hot, it doesn't want to settle down to a regular idle. If I am slowing or...
  16. grover1949

"No-kill" kill switch and no headlight on R65

I have two electrical gremlins on my '83 r65 which may or may not be related. 1) Kill-Switch: The only thing the kill switch will kill is any bug it hits at 50+mph. I disconnected the battery ground, took the right side starter/kill switch off, cleaned it with electronic contact spray...
  17. grover1949

Gaiters on an "83 R65?

I've got a 1983 R65 and need to rebuild the forks. Can I put a set of gaiters on them? If so, what modifications / changes / parts will I need? Thanks!
  18. 7

89 R65 Idle Issue

My 1989 R65 runs perfectly...except. When the temperatures reach into the 80s or the bike is in slow traffic and heats up, the idle climbs to about 2000 and won't drop. The bike only has about 30K on it but obviously it has spent a lot of time sitting in the garage; maybe I need to rebuild the...
  19. K

airhead clutch throw-out rod run-out tolerances

Hi MOA, a fellow member and I are working on his 1980 R65 which has a nasty clutch problem where the clutch disengages at different places and too quickly. We are trying to determine if the problem is his throw-out rod having a 0.002 inch runout. example: You are stopped at a light and try...
  20. Y

Coil for 1981 R65

My 1981 R65 has a cracked coil housing. Is there an inexpensive aftermarket replacement coil that will not require replacement of the Ignition Control Unit? Sources, part numbers and approximate prices appreciated. =============================================================== Just found an...
Back