• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

starter relay

1. S

1985 K100RS sticking starter!

Hi all, Went out to start my 1985 K100RS and the bike didn't catch immediately, not unusual when cold, but the starter did not disengage, kept chugging away. I turned the switch behind the starter button to off and it still was chugging. Turned the key off and it still was chugging away...
  2. J

How to test the starter relay (also, is this even the right relay?)

We're on a road trip on a 1973 R75/5 LWB and we rode in heavy rain yesterday. After I turned off the bike it wouldn't start again. Nothing happens when I push the starter but I can kick start the bike. I let it dry over night and same issue. There's no sound at all (no solenoid clicking) and the...
  3. D

Removing starter relay on /7

I'm trying to remove the starter relay on my 1977 RS. It sits on a bracket pressed up against the frame and for the life of me I can't figure out how to get it off. There must be something obvious that I'm missing so input would be appreciated. Thanks, Bob Unger
  4. T

'73 R75/5 LWB won't start, battery fine.

Think it might be starter relay. How to bypass relay and use solenoid directly? If I'm persistent I can sometimes start up with kick pedal. Thanks for any help, Tom Carter
  5. A

Starter Relay

Just need help in locating the starter relay on a 1978 R100/7? Is it on the left side? Thank you
  6. J

aftermarket starter relay

Hi guys, has anyone got any info on an after market starter relay for my 1977 r100s as usual thanks in advance Jimmy
  7. A

k75s starter relay

Apparently my starter relay is welded shut :jawdrop from trying to start the bike with a near dead battery. Any recommendations on a source or tips for the replacement? Scott 88 k75s
  8. DrPaul

Need starter relay for '73 R75/5

Can anyone point me to an alternate source for a starter relay for this old airhead I just picked up? MAX BMW tells me they are backordered until sometime next summer. Thanks.
  9. manitou_commando

Starter not turning....

Hi Folks, Pressed the starter button today (after turning the key) and not so much as a solenoid click. Charged the battery (2 years old). Valeo starter installed 5+ years ago. Did a rudimentary check for pinched, cut, and grounded wires and found nothing. The horn and lights work. Measured...
  10. soflopro

1975 r90/6 starting issues...

1975 r90/6 been running for a few years, with issues here and there, but she always seem to start(even if i had to push) until recently... a few months back i had a leaky brake mc, it flooded the starter relay. got the relay cleaned and rebuilt the MC, everything worked fine after. most...
  11. 4

Starter stuck on

I started my 1990 K75RT and the starter would not stop. I shut off the kill switch and ignition. I could not get it to stop until I disconnected the battery. Any ideas?
Back