• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

r1200rt

1. P

2007 R1200RT - Looking for built-in second horn lead

Can anyone point me to the (supposed) second horn lead in the harness of my 2007 R1200RT? I would assume it’s in the same general area as the existing horn lead? I’ve done some looking, but it seems that the harness is bundled pretty tightly, and I don’t want to randomly start cutting zip ties...
  2. tohau

K52 Software Updates

The service department of my local BMW dealer mentioned that a new software version is out for my bike (2014 BMW R1200RT). The service advisor did not provide any more information? Questions: Where can I find my current software version? What is the latest software version for a K52? Where...
  3. H

Hello from Iowa!

Hello. I just signed up for the BMW MOA last week. After a 10 year hiatus from motorcycles, I picked up a my first BMW in March of 2022. It's a 2013 R1200RT. I've been dreaming of buying a BMW motorcycle for a long time. The first one I fell in love with was the R1100R. Then it became an...
  4. K

Update for reliability?

I've owned a 2008 R1200RT for several years, it now has about 25K miles. I've got the bike set up for our 2 up touring needs; Seargent seat, Zumo XT mount, aftermarket windscreen, mirrors, soft rear bag, etc. My wife and I both recently retired, and we're planning on longer and more frequent...
  5. K

Final drive failing?

Hey folks, I've read several of the threads here regarding final drives. Here's my situation with my 2008 R1200RT. The bike only has about 25K miles. This model has a final drive drain, and the filler is behind the wheel. The drive is not vented, from what I understand. After a trip last...
  6. A

Upgrade to 2022 RT or stay with the 2015 RT ???

I am hoping I can get some opinions/thoughts if I should upgrade to the 2022 R1250 RT or not. I am currently on a 2015 RT with every option available from BMW for that year except the nav, and then some including the large BMW top case(2 full face helmets) with brake lights, aux lights etc etc...
  7. J

Question about RT's

I sold my GTL mostly because it was too heavy. There were a lot of things I liked about the GTL but the weight got me down. Now I see the RT is significantly lighter. I am in the hunt for this to replace my GTL. I had a LT and the problems with the ABS made it hard for me to love. Do the 1999...
  8. HansenRT

New Member, Anderson South Carolina, 2018 R1200RT

Hello All! Over the past couple of years I have been keeping my eye out for a lightly used good condition Honda Goldwing (Honda brand loyalty). However, I have also been looking at the BMW K1600GT or BMW R1200RT. I have not ridden a Honda GL or a BMW K1600, but I have ridden the R1200RT...
  9. S

Where to place add on fuse block?

Lots of good information here, but I haven't found any threads that talk about where to put the fuse block. I've got a 2017 R1200RT and don't really need all the whiz-bang of the Hex ezCAN. I'm thinking more along the lines of a Fuseblocks device. I haven't removed a great deal of tupperware...
  10. B

2009 or 2011 R1200RT - differences? Also diff between "Premium" & "Standard"

2009 or 2011 R1200RT - differences? Also diff between "Premium" & "Standard" Hey all, I am upgrading from my '02 R1150RT with 82K to a newer model. Right now I have my sights on a 2009 R1200RT Premium with 29K, or a 2011 R1200RT Standard with 22K. Both have heated grips/seats, cruise control...
  11. hamboyjohn

2013 R1200RT Rear brake inconsistent pedal feel

I picked up my 2013 R1200RT last summer with 6400 miles on it. I just turned over 12k, so I'm working on it :) Since I got it, the rear brake pedal hasn't felt consistent. The front brakes feel perfect - just the rear feels a little soft sometimes and sometimes not. The rear pedal never goes...
  12. D

Technical Service Manual - 2018 - R 1200 RT

I am new to BMW ownership so forgive me if I should know this. I have been searching this forum and the internet in general for a technical manual for a 2018 R 1200 RT 1. JVB Productions - http://www.jimvonbaden.com/ 2. Chilton/Hayes - semi generic manuals 3. BMW official DVD -...
  13. D

2008 R1200RT Clutch Not Engaging Properly

My 2008 R1200RT seems to be having a problem with the clutch. Just started the bike for a short ride here in Richmond VA. Bike starts and runs fine, but when engaging the clutch and putting it in gear, the clutch does not return to its normal position and the bike does not engage the gear...
  14. L

R1200RT ABS Sensor air ap

I sold my K after 20+ years and picked up a clean R1200RT 2005 with Issues. I have purchased: GS911 New Battery rear ABS sensor Front ABS sensor Gear potienometer (sp) I am getting an error code of 25070 - Too much slip of the rear wheel. The air gap on the front ABS front Sensor is .8mm +. the...
  15. W

New Member, South Carolina

After wanting a BMW Boxer powered bike for 48 years, I acquired a 2009 RT. I have not had a bike for 30 years and decided I needed to ride again. This is, without a doubt, all I had ever dreamed of. Looking forward to rediscovering the East Coast. And being outside Charleston SC, I can head...
  16. M

HELP: what's the best type of paint-protection film for a new motorcycle?

:wave Just picked up a brand new R1200RT… my very first BMW motorcycle, so excited! :brad Does anyone have any recommendation for the best type of paint-protection film for a new motorcycle?
  17. B

2011 R1200RT worn front wheel spacer

Non-Gearhead here doing some service on my 2011 R1200RT in preperation for my trip to the MOA rally in Des Moines; which for me will be upwards of a 3000-4000 mile trip as I'm visiting family in Missouri & Iowa in the process. Most recent work done was changing tires and brakes last weekend...
  18. D

2013 r1200rt master cylinder question

A friend and I were changing our brake fluid on our 2011 and 2013 r1200rt bikes. The bikes have 30,000 miles on them but this is the first time we've changed the fluid on these ourselves. My 2013 has always had more front brake lever travel than my friend's 2011. When we started to bleed the...
  19. S

Clutch Rattle Noise

I have a 2012 R1200RT with 19,000 miles on it. She is in fantastic shape, however, I've noticed a rattling sound comining from what I think is the clutch during idle. Whenever i engage and disengage the clutch it goes away. Otherwise, during a ride, the clutch performs perfectly. Any ideas if...
  20. J

Brake pad recommendations '09 R1200RT

The dealer put new Michelin tires on my '09 R1200RT today, but said the front brake pads were almost down to the wear indicator. I'm about to leave on a 2000 mile trip, and he thought I should change them before I left. His price for the parts was $291 plus $150 labor. Both seem extreme to...
Back