• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

airhead

1. D

'78 R100 Rear Tire Replacement

I've had a 1978 R100/7 now for 2 years and need to replace the rear tire. Manual calls out a 4.00H18 size. I've also seen where manufacturers will list 120/90-18 or even 110/90-18. Note, I have the light alloy wheels vs spokes if that natters. The list of available tires that I've found so far...
  2. B

Searching for Tank bag or leather tank cover

Hey All, I am looking for a leather tank cover or period correct tank bag for my '82 r100rt. I haven't had much luck looking around the internet and eBay. I am hoping someone here has a hot lead or an extra that they'd be willing to part with.
  3. C

Need a reminder - New valve covers = new gaskets?

Hey y'all! Haven't really played with putting on new covers before, but did replace gaskets on my last airhead maybe 6 years ago so I'm fuzzy. I'm replacing the PO's covers as they're scratched to hell and I found a good deal on a brand new set through a friend. The questions/comments: If...
  4. C

New airhead member north of Denver, CO

Hey everyone, excited to join. I've been sleeping on this for a while, so apologies and good tidings. I've been riding for almost a decade now and only know bikes I need to tinker on (thanks to my friends that got me into this). Currently wrenching in north Boulder on a '78 R100RS (in...
  5. B

Angle of Bing CV carbs

I cannot believe that I am finally thinking about this over 40 years after buying the motorcycle that I rode this afternoon. I have a 1974 R90/6 and anyone who has them or similar machines knows that the carb tops hit the riders shins, enough to be annoying. I always used to spend time truing up...
  6. D

Fork rebuild advice

I'm a Forum newbie so pardon me if this topic has been thoroughly addressed. I'm seeking advice on a potential airhead fork rebuild. I have a 1979 R100RS with only 40K miles. Whenever I ride over a rough road surface (pot holes, train tracks, etc.), I feel and hear a distinct rattling "thunk,"...
  7. s_alt

Freshly Built R100 not running well!

Hello all, Been awhile since Ive been on but ran into an issue after a complete rebuild of my bike. Its a 1981 R100T current milage is unknown but the gear box and cylinder walls and piston ring gaps all looks exceptional so I don't think it has too many miles. Either way, before I took it...
  8. F

Greetings from Eaton Rapids Michigan

Happy to be part of the BMW community once again. I rode a K1200RS for a number of years in the early 2000's but gave it up when my hips went bad. The hips are new and working well so I've picked up a bit of a project in a 1983 R65 that is running but needs some TLC. I've just now started...
  9. C

Valve issue help (video)

Valve issue help (video) UPDATE Hi guys, I took my R90/6 out for about 60mi this morning for the first time in a month or so and it ran/sounded great. When I got back home, I had it idling in the garage and heard a loud SNAP and then clank clank clank clank, as the engine continued to run for...
  10. H

Difficulty removing brake cable from brake lever (R75/5)

Hello fellow MOA'ers, I am currently changing the handlebar over to a low bar. Currently, I am at the step removing the front brake lever. I am having difficulty releasing the cable from the brake lever. I have taken out the pivoting screw, and the tension screw is already turned all the way...
  11. fox_85

Looking for a 1978 R100RS in Harvest Gold

Hello everybody-- Hoping the community can help me out with a small request.. I am looking for a particular 1978 BMW R100RS in Harvest Gold, with the VIN 6182967R1001RS. I did a VIN search and found that as of 2014 it was titled in PA, and is still titled there. At the time it had about 78k...
  12. s_alt

Bearing Seal Conrod fitment

Hello, Im currently rebuilding the heads on my R100T 81' and was curious if anyone had any insight on how to how to size for a new set of bearing shells on my connecting rods? I see on Max Bmw that you can size up +.25 and so forth. I noticed a little bit of side play on my left con rod and...
  13. R

Tachometer repair on '77 R100/7

I am working on a repair to the tachometer on my '77 R100/7 and I would appreciate your help. I heard a rubbing sound the other day when the bike started cold, but the sound went away after warming up. I probably should have disconnected the tach cable, but I didn't. Today the sound occurred...
  14. H

71 R75/5 Starter Relay - should I retrofit a new one?

Greetings MOA mates, I currently have a starter issue on my R75/5: When I click the starter switch, the starter will start cranking but will not stop until I pull the battery. I am still in troubleshooting phase and have done my usual web research (I am new at Airheads maintenance). A lot of...
  15. M

1980 R100 Idle Problem

This bike was supposed to have LOT's of work done to it including the rebuild of the carbs. The bike starts fine and idles fine cold with and without choke on. Once you ride it a few miles it will not idle down and seems stuck around 2000 rpm. I have heard lots of opinions but I want to come to...
  16. Y

'78 R100/7 -- idles great, coughing when warmed up; Mikuni VM32 carbs

So, I'm at a bit of a loss here. My '78 R100 has been gone through and gone over for the better part of this year. New wiring, Motogadget brain, new ignition coils, and (of course) new Mikuni VM32 carbs. It's a long story that's probably too sad for a forum like this :) Anyhow, I've had help...
  17. Darryl Cainey

Circlip Groove

Got the dreaded Circlip Groove cut, now time to put it all back together!
  18. C

Hello From South FL, Miami...

Hello All, Just joined MOA a few moments ago.. I have never owned a motorcycle before, yet i got myself into a 1978 R100/7 with an URAL side car project. Been working on it for 2 months now, and can't really wait to complete it [or at least to have it working] I will be starting a thread of the...
  19. 3

1994 R00R #0280849 Airhead R100R

Hello, Regarding a BMW 1994 R00R #0280849 Airhead I own this beautiful motorcycle but the engine needs a rebuild. It seems that the bike was operated without the $2000 correct o-ring installed in the oil filter system, and has 52K miles. I would like to check the availability and pricing of...
  20. J

'72 BMW R75/5 4-speed Gearbox Cover Change - What to Expect?

Howdy BMWMOA Forum, I was hoping to get some recommendations, warnings, advice, etc. on a (hopefully) simple transmission job that I am planning on doing in the coming weeks/months. I got a great priced ($200) 4-speed gearbox off of Ebay; the owner alleges it shifts great and was taken out...
Back