• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

final drive

1. bigjohnsd

Cardan to be checked and vent valve retrofitted on a total of 440,000 motorcycles

Quote Over 400,000 BMW GS for cardan check Major construction sites in the BMW workshops: The cardan is to be checked and a vent valve retrofitted on a total of 440,000 motorcycles worldwide, especially on the R 1250 GS and R 1200 GS from 2013. "In order to improve long-term quality"...
  2. K

Final drive failing?

Hey folks, I've read several of the threads here regarding final drives. Here's my situation with my 2008 R1200RT. The bike only has about 25K miles. This model has a final drive drain, and the filler is behind the wheel. The drive is not vented, from what I understand. After a trip last...
  3. S

R1200RS 2018 Final Drive Questions

Attempting to verify the amount of oil (180ml?) for a final drive change on a 2018 R1200RS. Also attempting to verify the torque values (20Nm?) for both the drain bolt and fill bolt.
  4. T

Final drive failure

2003 1150RT with 99,300k. Bought this bike new and we've been to some amazing places, but maybe it's time to part ways. Two years ago the dealer replaced the rear main seal on the engine, and a seal on the final drive, to the tune of almost two grand. Now I have massive metal fragments...
  5. D

A Guide to the Hexhead/Camhead Final Drive and Shaft Drive

I've recently had to replace my final drive and shaft on my 2007 R1200RT with ~93k miles. I spent several hours (like 20) attempting to find the best course of action. I'll try to share what I've surmised. My lawyer would like you to know: This post is posted by some guy who is not a trained...
  6. Jeff488

Can’t remove rear u-joint form f/d 2001 R1150GS

I’m in the process of replacing f/d pivot bearings with bushings from Anton Largiader. The Clymer manual says to gently pry the u-joint out of the f/d. I’ve tried gently and not very gently. It doesn’t move. What am I missing? Also, there were no instructions included, so I’m not 100% sure which...
  7. jnrugg

Final drive options

On the way home from the MOA rally in Tn. it appears the final drive went out again. It was redone by Max's 4-5 years ago with the new bearings. In thinking back there were many clues that there was an issue but I never picked up on them. My question is, is there an alternative to rebuilding it...
  8. T

Final Drive service problem 2017 r1200rtw

While doing the 12,000 mi. service I managed to get the spline gear stuck to the output shaft. I have wiggled and giggle for some substantial time and it remains jammed together any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated.
  9. B

2013 RT Driveshaft Failure

In 2011 I posted the u-joint/driveshaft failure in my 2009 RT at 36K miles. That thread is here: https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?54749-2009-RT-U-Joint-Failure&highlight= I'm back with the same failure in my 2013 RT. Looks pretty similar. Too bad they can't admit there's a problem...
  10. H

R1200rt- Final drive failure

My drive shaft and final drive have had a catastrophic failure. I need the following parts for my 2008 R1200RT 1. 33117726895 final drive 2. 33177685599 rubber boot 3. 33172311729 tapered bearing (2) 4. 2611766503 driveshaft I am looking preferably for used parts and an opinion if this is...
  11. J

Final Drive Failure - BMW Parts Warranty - 02 R1150R

I previously posted the first part of this story under a different thread, but decided that this needs a new thread. The first part of the story: On the way to the MOA rally in NY last summer, I had a final drive failure while on the way to the Rally. The bike had about 35000 miles on the...
  12. J

Final Drive Temp

Hi - how hot should the final drive get and still be in the normal range? Can you leave your hand on it? Can you leave it on it for a few seconds, 10 seconds, not at all? Has anyone done an IR measurement to see where it might be? Mine feels a tad hot, but I don't know where normal is...
  13. thatmanstu

Final Drive Noise On CenterStand(ad infinitum)

2006 R12RT . Bike has over 102k miles and runs like a dream. Has never had any FD issues across previous two owners. Recently detected noises from FD/DS...Removed Swing Arm and DS to find a fish-mouthed front boot on Trans end and typical resulting corrosion on DS U-Joint(Trans end). Sent the DS...
  14. T

Final Drive case failure 2005 1200GS

2005 1200 GS. Riding on a dirt road at 20 MPH, thankfully, the final drive bracket for the rear caliper broke allowing the caliper to swing forward and come to rest on the wheel. This broke one spoke and bent two additional spokes as well as the rotor and caused a sudden skidding stop. BMW...
  15. J

Questions about 96 R1100R driveshaft/swingarm/final drive reassembly & lube

I am reassembling the driveshaft/swingarm/final drive on a 96 R1100R following a driveshaft failure. I have the JL Paralever bushings (previously installed) instead of the needle bearings on the final-drive pivot point. I need help with a few questions: :scratch 1) When assembling the two...
  16. H

Final Drive failure 2008 R1200RT

The final drive on my husband's R12RT failed in the middle of the Cabot Trail, NS on Sat. BMW arranged transport to the nearest dealer, Moncton, but at first glance, BMW Canada had to backorder the part from Germany. Fortunately BMW USA came to the rescue and the parts have shipped from the USA...
  17. A

overfilled FD or messed up seal?

Hello, I have an '01 R1100RS. The final drive leaked out of the seal, so after taking it apart and finding everything seemed ok, replaced both the seal and the gasket (reason for leaking seems to be because it was rode less than 200 miles in the last 3 years) Wife and I went for a shakedown...
  18. D

Final Drive fluid

I have a 2007 R1200S that was sold to me new with lifetime final drive fluid following the 600 mile service, which was a big selling point. I dropped off my bike yesterday for my 12,000 miles service and found out that not only do I need to get my final drive fluid changed at my expense, but...
Back