• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

My "New" Bike!

P

pedrocasper

My "New" Bike
by: Pete "Pedro" Casper
Not too long ago, in the weaning months of 2005, I found the bike of my dreams while surfing the internet. With a calculated impulse, I purchased the bike, which was some 1,500 miles from my place of residence. You see, I live in Schenectady, New York, the home of General Electric and therefore appropriately referred to as ÔÇ£the Electric CityÔÇØ, and my ÔÇ£newÔÇØ 1984 R100RT resided in Lakeville, MN. A place I never visited, but I assume, given its name, that one of the ÔÇ£10,000ÔÇØ lakes of Minnesota must be close by.

A new job and family responsibilities prevented me from flying to Lakeville and riding the R100 home; as such, I had the bike delivered. Like a kid before Christmas, I daily checked the internet tracking of the truck hauling my ÔÇ£newÔÇØ R100. The cities ticked off one-by-one....Lakeville, Minneapolis, Chicago (must have driven through the state of my youth ÔÇô Wisconsin ÔÇ£Go Badgers!ÔÇØ), Cleveland, OH (it is getting closer), Erie, PA, Newark, NJ (wait it passed Schenectady), Syracuse, NY (wait it passed Schenectady again!). Finally, a call from the local delivery company informed me that the bike arrived and they will be delivering it to my door step the next morning. I honestly could not sleep that night!

Unfortunately, the keys, title and bill of sale were stuck somewhere else in transit and would not arrive until 5 days after the bike. It is important to note that the fall days of ÔÇ£Northern New YorkÔÇØ were progressing fast towards winter days, and the riding opportunities on the "new" R100 were diminishing by the hour. Various thoughts ran through my head as I inspected my new bike form front fender to tail light. Should I hotwire the bike and take my chances with the cops if pulled over? I wonÔÇÖt ride it; IÔÇÖll just start it up and listen to the engine! I wonder if the key to my, now jealous, K75 would fit in the ignition of the R100? Clearer motorcycling instincts prevailed and I awaited the arrival of the key and other crucial documents. Key in hand, and after a quick call to my insurance carrier, I was ready to rip!

The motorcycling gods must love BMW riders, because they delivered an unprecedented beautiful late November day. My wife, who only parked her bike away for the winter because she is carrying our soon to be second child, gave me a smile as I said, I want to give the new bike a shake down(dramatic pause with eyes averted)so I will see you in a few hours. She knows me too well, and knew I would be gone for the entire day. She is an awesome lady and riding buddy.

As I pulled out of the drive way, I looked at the K75 sitting in the garage and felt a tinge of guilt. The K75 gave me some great riding memories and I felt like I was being unfaithful.

A few miles later, the ÔÇ£newÔÇØ bike and I were on a twisty heading deep into the Catskill Mountains of New York, which is the perfect place to shake down a ÔÇ£newÔÇØ bike. After the first 50 miles, I figured out the winter projects on the bike. I created my mental list: new rear shocks, rebuild front forks, tune carbs, new rear turn signals, and rear brake pads. I thought to myself, ÔÇ£small list, I think the ÔÇ£newÔÇØ bike and I are going to get along.ÔÇØ Regardless of the suspension, the bike handled well. I started to enjoy the twisties the Catskills have to offer. I told myself after the first two hours that I need to turn back, but my throttle hand kept pouring on the gas. Completely unintentional, I scraped my first cylinder, the right one to be exact, and a smile crept across my face. Fearful that the plummeting temperature would freeze my teeth, I shed the external smile. As most of you know, scrapping a cylinder on a 1984 R100 means you are having a blast, while on most other non-boxer bikes it means you are going to the hospital.

The retreating fall sun prompted me to turn directions and head home, albeit, in good Supertramp fashion, I took "the long way home.ÔÇØ As I pulled into the driveway, I realized that the ÔÇ£newÔÇØ bike was now ÔÇ£myÔÇØ bike and I prayed to the motorcycle gods to give me a few more 45 plus degree winter days ÔÇô a rarity at best in the climates of the great Electric City. As I parked the bike in my garage, I inquired to no one imparticular... "is global warming all that bad?"

Finally, I am happy to report that the K75 and R100 are happily getting along in the warm garage. I have a feeling, just like us riders; the two bikes have lots of great stories to tell each other.
:bikes

Picture of my "new" bike

Here is the R100"RT".

Attachments

• bikesmall 003.jpg
    bikesmall 003.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 302
Thanks!

Thanks Bubba - As I like to call it a "project still in motion". Next steps ..some K & N filters (get rid of the air box), rearsets, and new mufflers.

Pete,

Congratulations on the bike!

Just and FYI about Lakeville. It is about 25 miles south of the center of Minneapolis or Lilydale on I35. It is a growing suburb with a couple of lakes and several nice wetland areas. My youngest daughter and her family live in Lakeville. Lakeville is also home to LeoÔÇÖs South. This the local BMW dealer I use for parts. The area has a strong RA following, I am not certain about MOA.

Have fun with the winter projects. The R100 was my first BMW and I hope you enjoy riding and working on it as much as I did mine.

:thumb

Leo's South

Thanks for filling me in on Lakeville. Small world. I bought the bike from Leo's South...they were selling it for an employee. They listed it for a very respectible price. I bought the bike as you see it in the pic (I am a cafe nut...so I like the looks). I will continue to build on what the orginal owner started!

Packer Fan

p.s. I grew up in Milwaukee Wisconsin, so I am a true Packer fan (even with this year's record). I love the avtar (Packer Colors)! Must be tough being a Packer fan in MN!

pedrocasper said:
p.s. I grew up in Milwaukee Wisconsin, so I am a true Packer fan (even with this year's record). I love the avtar (Packer Colors)! Must be tough being a Packer fan in MN!
I try to go easy on them. You have to understand they play football indoors, what does their mother say about that! :dunno

Good luck with the bike and keep us posted on your project.

K and R bikes

Petey;

NICE machine. and by the by. . . my K1200LT and R100RS coexist very nicely! :p

don

Pete, it would be interesting to me, and probably others, to have you describe what you went through to buy the bike online. How you did the money deal, set up the shipping and anything else that could help someone else who has thought about doing it but has held back. Just a thought.

Purchase & Shipping

(1). I bought it from a dealer (as you know Leo's South). So I was confident I was at least not going to have someone cut-n-run with the money. I called the sales rep at Leo's (Jeremy) and had a nice long conversation. I figured for the price they were selling it for, I'd be in good shape even if it needed some work. They sold it for $2,500 with just over 30K miles on it.

(2). Certified Bank Check: I sent a certified check made out to Leo's South and had it revert back to me in case it was lost or somehow not cashed by Leo's within a certain amount of time.

(3). Shipping Company: There are many companies. I found JC Motors and did some research. They were great and use NorthAmerican Van Lines. Only use shipping companies that have their DOT Lic #s. They charged me $600 (unboxed). They do put the bike on a skid, strap it down and cover it. You get to keep the straps, skid and cover. I found the price to be in the average range, but they could get the bike to me within 10 business days.
JC Motors did not require any fluids to be drained from the bike and only asked that the mirrors be turned in to avoid damage. They gave me a tracking number and updated the tracking often. You can do it all online or call them at a 1-800 number.

(4). Other documents: Most companies will require that keys, title and bill of sale be sent by another means. Smart policy. I recommend that everyone check their state's DMV regulations for registering out-of-state bikes. NY requires the title (appropriately filled out), and a bill of sale.

(5). Wait at home....every minute of those 10 days! :D

That's about it.

How I found it!

Ironically, I was online hunting down parts for the k75 and came across the R100 by accident. I'd always wanted an airhead and knew the second I saw it I was hooked! So I called! The rest is history.

p.s. It was 33 degrees out this evening so I took the bike out after work! Good old fashion style, sans electric gloves, vest or socks. Just layers of clothes and a nice heavy leather jacket. Lots of happy arm pumping by friendly pedistrians!

Back