• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Carmageddon on the LA 405

pauls1150

MOA #24991, south of Los Angeles
Dear Transportation Partner,

As one of our valued Metro stakeholders, we are including you in a series of email distributions pertaining to the full closure of the I-405 freeway beginning July 15, through July 18, 2011. It is our hope that you can relay the emails to your own contact network so the information reaches the widest possible audience.

As background, Metro is currently improving the I-405 freeway through the Sepulveda Pass to add a northbound HOV lane. Part of the project scope necessitates the demolition and reconstruction of the Mulholland Bridge . The bridge will be demolished one half at a time. The first demolition is scheduled for the weekend of July 16-17, 2011. The second demolition will occur one year later.

The entire 53-hour closure of the 405 freeway will be managed through an incident command post headed by LAFD/LAPD/CHP/Caltrans/Metro. Our outreach to commuters and travelers will have to be local, regional, statewide and even national because the routing of vehicles around the Sepulveda Pass will have impacts on the regional system. Please expect to receive regularly scheduled information including approved routing maps, communications options for up to the minute updates and expected system impacts. It is our intent to provide you with all the critical information necessary leading up to the actual demolition date so travelers on this weekend can make informed choices to arrive at their destination or choose to refrain from unnecessary travel through the affected area.

Your first line for information is the project website: www.metro.net/405. You may also call Jennifer Gill at 213.922.4224 for a referral to your regional lead. Please be advised that our Board of Directors and the agency staff are committed to getting you all the information you and your stakeholders need in advance to facilitate travel on this weekend. In the future, all communications on this very important road closure will be labeled I-405 SEPULVEDA PASS CLOSURE ALERT.

Sincerely,

Arthur T. Leahy
Chief Executive Officer
METRO

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 155
another definition...

Karmageddon: It's like, when everybody is sending off all these really bad vibes, right? And then, like, the Earth explodes and it's, like, a serious bummer.

:banghead

I am really glad I no longer live in SoCal. What a joke. Have to have ICS in place for a stinking weekend freeway closure.

Yeah, sometime traffic here really does suck rocks. Not for the faint of heart or the stupid... And right now we have the British royalty here, so that's not any help either. So far it's not as bad as when Obama was here, maybe they learned something.

Even the AARP says we suck -
http://www.aarp.org/home-garden/livable-communities/info-04-2011/commuting_in_traffic.html

Having driven in the rest of the cities listed, I'm not gonna dispute it. But like everything else, a lot of it is in the attitude...

Last edited:
from Jay Leno:

"The royal couple has left Los Angeles after a short visit. ItÔÇÖs the first time that two unemployed people from another country have come to L.A. and left."

If this bridge removal/freeway construction project was anywhere but in L.A., it wouldn't be a major news item. The L.A. News services are very self promoting and will take a minor happening in L.A. and blow it up to a major event.

Have you ever noticed that no matter what happens in the rest of the world, the L.A. News services will find a L.A. Nexus and run with that story.

Both the 91 freeway and I-15 (for those who don't know, very heavily traveled routes) have been closed on several occassion to have have a bridge or over-pass removed/demolished. Motorist were notified, found alternative routes and life went on. There was no "breaking news", no count-down clocks or Team coverage.

Well there were no major incidents and the project was completed 16 hours ahead of schedule. So were does the "Carmageddon" part come in? :scratch

Yep another over-hyped news story from L.A.

I know the 405 is a major road, but this much hype over a 2-day weekend closure? I agree, very overblown.

Is it possible the reason it was a non-event was BECAUSE of all the hype? In that case, good move.

Nope, it was over-hyped because it was L.A. Even some of the talking heads indicated they were disappointed because nothing bad happened and admitted themselvces the story was over done.

This type of construction project is not uncommon. CalTrans and it's constractors have "been there, done that" and along with the CHP, pretty much know how to handle these events. Had several similiar projects near where I live. No major news story on the T.V., just the usual advicements and warnings.

A freeway closure (long & short term, planned & unplanned) in SoCal is not uncommon. In fact unplanned closures happen so often, the traffic teams and CHP have a name just for such an event, a "SIG" alert. The name has an interesting history, go ahead a goggle it.

Back