• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

best GPS/ SATNAV?

ricochetrider

Out There Somewhere
howdy.

looking to FINALLY get on the bandwagon, with a proper GPS.
so many choices, and plenty of horror stories along the way.

what's the BEST hands down, all around GPS? i will likely use it for the M/C AND the cage.

what makes it best or better?

howdy.

looking to FINALLY get on the bandwagon, with a proper GPS.
so many choices, and plenty of horror stories along the way.

what's the BEST hands down, all around GPS? i will likely use it for the M/C AND the cage.

what makes it best or better?
That about sums it up-other than some are waterproof and some are not.
I've been thinking about a thread like this myself. Some of the members are very talented and experienced with GPS and hopefully we can get some good ideas.
If we can get some good advice it would be in consideration for a run in Best Of Forum. Let's see what we can put together. Thanks, Gary

Gary,
i'm all ears. let's roll it. i actually did a *forum search* and was flabbergasted to find out this thread didn't already exist.
anybody?

Last edited:
I'll be first to jump in.

I've had the Garmin Zumo 550 since April 2007. Besides navigation, it offers XM/Sirius capability (although you need the separate & expensive antenna for that function), MP3 & audiobook player, traffic info, and Bluetooth. It comes w/ both M/C & car mounts, although you'll need a bracket to attach it to your M/C.

Mine performed flawlessly until this past August, where it just died. For $150, Garmin replaced it with a refubished unit, which has worked well since.

I used to have it attached to my Autocom , but after I sold that, I run Etymotic earbuds directly from the Zumo's mounting cradle.

Garmin's Mapsource program can be installed on a PC/laptop/netbook. You use that to prepare routes, destinations, and (afterwards) the trips you took. The Zumo has alot of internal memory allocated for storing the "breadcrumb" trail of where you've travelled.

Zumoforums.com provide alot of useful information on resolving problems encountered.

There are plently of other very capable GPS' out there. But I recommend the 550 wholeheartedly. Do wish it had NEXRAD radar capability, but my smartphone provides that.

I still like the old tried and true Garmin 276C/378/478 units. VERY bright screen, waterproof, pretty tough, and vibration resistant.

Buttons allow you to leave your gloves on to operate it, and it allows you to control everything if you like, or just point and go.

LONG battery life

Cons; It is Big.

The 478 will let you do Radio/weather too with the same accessory antenna, and monthly fee, if that is important.

How good and popular are these, you can sell them more today than they cost new 4 or 5 years ago.

BUT you can also keep your eyes open, be patient watch ebay and craigslist, as well as forums like this and pick them up cheap ($250-$300)

I like Garmin. They are not trouble free, but usually take care of you when you're having a problem. I'm using a Zumo 660 for the bike and in the car. It's easy to hook up to a bike comm system, or I have custom ear phone/plugs that I can plug directly into the unit. Voice directions are neat because you can listen without taking your eyes off the road. Works fine with gloves on, but, at least for me, I find it very dangerous to try to do too much while driving/riding. I'm trying to learn to pull off the road before I fiddle with the GPS.

Gary,
i'm all ears. let's roll it. i actually did a *forum search* and was flabbergasted to find out this thread didn't already exist.
anybody?

Yeah, I know what you mean. There are a lot of bits and pieces of good GPS info here and there but the good parts are rather random.
If we can keep it going I think it would be a real resource. Info like how to stop the GPS from sending you the way it wants to go completely ignoring all that time plotting the route on your computer and downloading it to the GPS.
Here is a link from Jim-Grafikfeat- put out on another thread. The link has some good tips....http://www.soundrider.com/current/sep10/garmin_tips.htm
Hopefully we can put together a resource. Thanks to all, let's see what you got, Gary

I haver a Zumo 550

I have used my Zumo 550 extensively on both my bike (hard wired to my battery with a ram mounting system) and the car (with supplied suction cup mount and cigarette plug) for the last 2+ years. They are bullet proof and very intuitive to use. I also like they are designed for motorcycles and have desk top mapping for routing back roads. I also use the MP3 feature a lot.

If mine disappeared, I would buy another Zumo in a North Carolina minute (which equals about a week).

My Zumo 450 screen is becoming "VERY" intermittant. It seems that you can send a malfunctioning unit back to Garmin and receive a repaired unit for a nominal fee, about $150 or so. I like the 450 and will probably go this route rather than buy a new unit. One other possibility is to use a Micro-Soft GPS that plugs into your laptop. This costs less than $100 via internet sales and gives you a much larger screen to peruse. I use my GPS along with large scale maps Michelin/Delorme. The maps are used for trip planning and the GPS to locate gas, food, and if neccessary lodging. The GPS can be of great use in finding directions to an address when riding in unfamiliar surroundings.
Ride Safe :usa :usa

'

+1 to Zumos...

I have had 660 (same things as the BMW moto nav 4 or whatever) for over a year now with no problems

Works great and goes on my M/C (custom mounted with all proper wiring included in its box see thread here: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=38876

I also use the included suction cup mount and power bracket in my truck... the gps actually knows which mount it is in and changes its settings appropriately. Since I use my GPS as a fuel gauge backup this is nice, because it doesnt count miles in the truck against the fuel gauge feature for the bike.

I've had the Garmin Zumo 550 since April 2007. Besides navigation, it offers XM/Sirius capability (although you need the separate & expensive antenna for that function), MP3 & audiobook player, traffic info, and Bluetooth. It comes w/ both M/C & car mounts, although you'll need a bracket to attach it to your M/C.

Mine performed flawlessly until this past August, where it just died. For $150, Garmin replaced it with a refubished unit, which has worked well since.

I used to have it attached to my Autocom , but after I sold that, I run Etymotic earbuds directly from the Zumo's mounting cradle.

Garmin's Mapsource program can be installed on a PC/laptop/netbook. You use that to prepare routes, destinations, and (afterwards) the trips you took. The Zumo has alot of internal memory allocated for storing the "breadcrumb" trail of where you've travelled.

Zumoforums.com provide alot of useful information on resolving problems encountered.

There are plently of other very capable GPS' out there. But I recommend the 550 wholeheartedly. Do wish it had NEXRAD radar capability, but my smartphone provides that.

+1
almost exactly my experience
recommend the 550 without reservation

I've had the Garmin Zumo 550 since April 2007.

looking now at the NEXRAD App on my phone. do you use it to track weather events as you travel into/near/around them?

My Zumo 450 screen is becoming "VERY" intermittant. It seems that you can send a malfunctioning unit back to Garmin and receive a repaired unit for a nominal fee, about $150 or so. I like the 450 and will probably go this route rather than buy a new unit. One other possibility is to use a Micro-Soft GPS that plugs into your laptop. This costs less than $100 via internet sales and gives you a much larger screen to peruse. I use my GPS along with large scale maps Michelin/Delorme. The maps are used for trip planning and the GPS to locate gas, food, and if neccessary lodging. The GPS can be of great use in finding directions to an address when riding in unfamiliar surroundings.
Ride Safe :usa :usa

i saw on another thread that Garmin has a decent support rep. the 150.00 turn-around option beats buying another brand new unit if yours happens to punk you. one guy had an issue with the download of an update but they got him hooked up, i guess thru internet chat service?
nice tat there are actual people to turn to @ Garmin HQ if you need them.

the MicroSoft GPS/ laptop device might be OK if you happen to be able to use your smart phone as the modem? some carriers offer this but not others. or if you have the USB-enabled 3G access device for your laptop? if it runs thru the laptop or netbook screen, then it seems it is only useful when in the car?
can you elaborate on this please?

also, do all GPS's require that you pay for maps or satellite access, downloads, updates, etc.? (the link provided above answers this question
if i read it right)

re: Garmin Mapsource updates

After you buy a Garmin, you're usually entitled to download one free Mapsource update. Which I used a long time ago.

Garmin now allows you to subscribe to frequent Mapsource update downloads, and I took advantage of the AMA discount ($80, I think) for lifetime Mapsource downloads ... about 4 a year. Good deal, IMO.

478 weather

+1 on the Garmin GPSMAP 478 with XM NEXRAD weather radar. Weather radar saved my bacon more than once working around intense storms on the plains. It is a bit big. I think it may have been discontinued.

My Zumo 550 went kittywampers, Garmin replaced it for $167.00 and transfered my "nuMaps liftime" to the new unit.

I run a Zumo 550 and GPSMAP 478. The 478 is a far cry from the 550 and has data displays that are not available on the Zumo, as well as NEXRAD.

For about $250 you can get a Garmin Nuvi 255. It has about the same size screen as the Zumos (at least the 220...).

PROS: Inexpensive, bright screen, long life battery, IPX7 waterproof, vibration-resistant, easy transfer to cage.

CONS: No bluetooth, no headphone jack.

If you're looking for the absolute BEST GPS, this is not the unit. But if you want excellent performance, albeit without sound, this is an extremely cost-effective solution.

BTW: Garmin has a free browser plug-in (Communicator) that allows Google and MapQuest routes to be downloaded to most Garmin GPS units. I rarely use MapSource anymore. Also, I am a fan of Microsoft Streets & Trips; the software is Garmin-compatable.

Good stuff so far...

For only being up a day or so you guys are bringing up some good info.
For those of you who have figured out a good way to do routing either from computer to GPS or the other way around, it would be good to here about that also.
Thanks, Gary

Back