• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R27 starting problem after long storage

K

kentpham

I just took the bike out after 10 years in storage. Before it was stored away it was running well, the carb and the tank were cleaned out.
Today,
I cleaned the point checked the plug but no spark!
1. Does it need the new battery? Is it the battery ignition?
2. What else should I do?
Thanks for your help

Attachments

• IMGP0403_985x739.jpg
    IMGP0403_985x739.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
It runs off a magneto..doesn't need a battery to start or run.

Remove the front cover and check the gap between the coil wire and the ground. You might also have a bad coil..is it soft when you squeeze it? How about the spark plug wire..check it for continuity.

Try kicking it over in a very dark area and see if there is a spark either at the plug grounded against the engine or is it arching from the coil?

If you have spark...you may want to try adding a can of Seafoam to the gas..kick it over a couple times, let it sit overnight and try it again later.

Ack!! I have a /2 and always think magneto...sold the R26 about 15 years ago so I forgot the differences...

Try it in the dark just for grins and see what happens.

Is that a new battery and do you have a red and green light when you push the "key" in? Green light must be lit - indicates neutral. Red light means circuit complete.

Everyone still refers to the possibility of a failed coil so if the battery is good, then coil or condenser or plug wire or spark plug...not much else if you have a good switch.

Yes, it's a battery-coil ignition and needs the battery to run. Make sure the battery is up to snuff. Green neutral light with key engaged? If not, could be dead battery...or poor connection for neutral light. Also, be sure the points are indeed opening at roughly the S-mark. If the points don't open...or close...at all, you won't get spark.

He beat me to it

My R 26 from long ago would not run unless the battery had juice, Its a battery coil ignition and you will need battery voltage to get a spark.

My R 26 from long ago would not run unless the battery had juice, Its a battery coil ignition and you will need battery voltage to get a spark.

True story, a hot battery is essential. Even a functioning charging system might not hold up a 6v battery over time. I owned an R27 for 10 years, after I figured out everything with it, I decided that it would not work in modern, high speed, traffic.

That being said, I'd take it back if The current owner would sell it back to me.

I kinda miss the stupid thing.

Back