• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

How Many R100RS's are out there?

radar41

Beemerphan
Hello all,

The idea of getting as many RS owners together as possible, has been mentioned on one of the other threads. Several of us RS owners have recently completed rebuilds of our machines and I for one am itching for a "road run".

The idea would be to get as many R100RS's as possible in one place for a photo shoot, and of course a bit of fun;). Naturally it would NOT be limited to RS's :usa.

Perhaps somewhere in the center of the country (USA) next Spring/early Summer/early fall (NOT Deep summer - humidity, etc). Central/Southern Missouri, Northeast, North Central Arkansas???

Ideas?? :scratch

RS Gathering

This might be something to check out...

http://ibmwr.org/rs77/

Kurt,

That is a well organized list. However, it looks to be for the 77's only.

According to Bill Stermer's book "BMW R100RS" there are/were:

7,116 sold 1976-1984 in the US, Australia, and Canada then 750, of the 1986-1993 Models sold.

Europe, Asia, and Africa had a few more at 27,386 for model years 76-84 and 5,331 for model years 86-93.

Logically at least 50-60% of those are still out there somewhere.

Suppose we could get at least 100 of them together somewhere in the US??? :usa:scratch

Great Idea

Have to check with the wife, but I want to be in. Haven't been to that part of the country since I left Tulsa in 84.

lets pretend its an rs

how about me my 1977 r100s has worn an rs fairing since 1985,300,000 + km.s: can i sit at the back if i promise to be quiet ?:violin

I used to have an 82 RS. Should never have sold it. Now I have a 2004 1150RS. I'm coming to this thing!

RS gathering

I used to have an 82 RS. Should never have sold it. Now I have a 2004 1150RS. I'm coming to this thing!

Hey, an RS is an RS:usa AND an "S" with an RS fairing is an RS!! In the photo of them all lined up who will know :).

Now where are we going to meet??

Any suggestions?? :scratch

Hello all,

The idea of getting as many RS owners together as possible, has been mentioned on one of the other threads. Several of us RS owners have recently completed rebuilds of our machines and I for one am itching for a "road run".

The idea would be to get as many R100RS's as possible in one place for a photo shoot, and of course a bit of fun;). Naturally it would NOT be limited to RS's :usa.

Perhaps somewhere in the center of the country (USA) next Spring/early Summer/early fall (NOT Deep summer - humidity, etc). Central/Southern Missouri, Northeast, North Central Arkansas???

Ideas?? :scratch

Why not create an event where everyone in several locations across the country, gets together on the same day?

My bet is that most of the Airheads are concentrated within 500 miles of either coast anyway...

I do not know if the MOA is going to have another open house soon like the last one. They are located on the far west side of St. Louis not far off I-44. At the last open house there were a few airheads there, but mostly oil heads and K bikes. That could be a nice place to meet, and visit their head quarters. They also had events and a lunch.

Anyway, count me in.

Thanks for the link. Looks like it is in just a couple of weeks. Probably not enough time for everyone else to plan a trip here.

I do not know if the MOA is going to have another open house soon like the last one. They are located on the far west side of St. Louis not far off I-44. At the last open house there were a few airheads there, but mostly oil heads and K bikes. That could be a nice place to meet, and visit their head quarters. They also had events and a lunch.

Anyway, count me in.
Another one not within 500 miles of a coast ... :whistle

I'd rather go to St. Louis.

Was the 10th BMW MOA National in Colorado Springs?

What ever the number it was the first year of the RS - 1977. I was there and it was held at the Flying W ranch right up at the foot of Pikes Peak. I have not been to the Ranch in some time but I understand it is still a going concern. In the foreground of the attached photo, there is a bike with a Vetter fairing and small tank with chrome side panels. The motorcycle to its left is a (then) brand new 1977 R100RS. It is sporting a set of Craven side cases. Back in the tall pines away in the distance was a dining hall that seated a huge crowd for dinner - run like a old west trail kitchen AND. a live show. That could be a destination here in the US with good weather potential and roads of all kinds. The camping in 1977 was primitave by todays rally standards.

Photo from the 1977 BMW National in Colorado Springs.

Last edited:
1977 Rally was the 5th

According to the MOA book "The First 35 Years", the 1977 rally was held in COS but was the 5th. I guess there wasn't any national rally in 1972 when the MOA first formed (or OA if you're so inclined).

Back