• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Things to See

B

BOBSST

Hi all - My wife and I are both third generation Oregonians and have both lived here for 60 years. We love our state and where we live so there are some things we would hate to see you miss. So - from time to time, between now and the rally, I'll post some pics of places within an easy days ride from the Rally.

This first series will include Century Dr. which is a 100 mile loop (if starting from Bend) through the high Cascades passing by the Three Sisters, Broken Top and Mt. Bachelor. There are also many high lakes in this area, some with great little lodges that make for a good lunch stop. South Twin Lake and Cultus Lake have good restaurants and lakeside dining.

This first shot is of Elk Lake. It also has a lodge and boat rentals
11-sm.jpg

Paulina Lake - also has a lodge, boat rentals, camping and restaurant. Paulina Lake is not on the Century Dr. loop but is south of Sunriver off Hwy. 97. The road from 97 up to Paulina and East lakes is 13 miles of bliss. We lovingly call it P.I.R. (Paulina International Raceway)
14-sm.jpg

Also Paulina Lake
5-sm.jpg

Crater Lake is 95 miles south of Bend. Great lunch on the Rim at the main lodge.
6-sm.jpg

Also Crater Lake
7-sm.jpg

East Lake is just past Paulina Lake and also has a small restaurant and boat rentals.
9-sm.jpg

The South Sister from the Century Drive loop by Sparks Lake.
Mt.jpg

Mt. Bachelor from Sparks Lake
Mt-1.jpg

Next time we'll head east of Redmond and Bend..............

Thank you! I'll be riding 3400 miles to get there (more if I get distracted along the way), and my greatest fear is missing a must-ride road! :thumb

Pete

Thanks for the this thread, I would like to ride as many routes as I can, when I'm there.

Nice Pics.

Wish I had a few of these to submit with the articles for the News. I didn't think I'd be writing stuff and didn't get specific pictures last summer. Had to select thru what I had to send in. These are much nicer than mine. You'll see that in the next few months magazines.

John B
Sisters, OR

A few more shots of areas around Century Dr. and west of Hwy.97. Generally if you head west of 97 you will be going into the mountains and pine forest. East of 97 you'll find high desert with juniper and sage. The dirt and gravel roads are endless for the GS riders but the pavement is great too.

You can make a day out riding the Aufderheide loop and throwing in McKenzie Pass on Hwy. 242 out of Sisters. In doing so you will see both the east and west side of the Cascade Range. The next three shots are at the top of Mckenzie Pass.
Auf13.jpg

Auf2.jpg

Auf-15sm.jpg

You'll have to do some hiking to get up here. Mt. Bachelor in the background from the crater of Broken Top. Some good GS riding to the trail head from either the Sisters side or the Century Dr. side.
BrokenTop.jpg

Devils Lake is on Century Dr. along one of the twisty parts.
DevilsLake.jpg

Little Lava Lake is the head waters of the Deschutes River. Great Fly Fishing up here on both the lakes and rivers.
LLL-sm.jpg

Intersection to Mt. Bachelor Ski area with Broken Top and South Sister in the background.
MtB.jpg

In the summer you can take the Pine Martin chair lift up to the Pine Martin Lodge and get this view of the Three Sisters and Broken Top.
PineMartin.jpg

Part of Century Dr. is closed during the winter. Things generally open up by Memorial Day.
RoadClosed.jpg

Bennam Fall is on the Deschutes River, south of Bend by Lava Butte.
4-sm.jpg

Another picture up on McKenzie Pass
Auf14.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful pictures! I've never been to Oregon, so this will be my first time. I will be taking notes here so I can visit some of the areas you mention. Thanks for posting these pictures.:thumb

Paul

Thanks Bob; got these routes all marked on the map, now.

I take it, the Aufderheide Loop is 242 and 126, including Santiam Pass? I've ridden the south leg of that.

Steve Miller Band

FYI - For those fans of the Steve Miller Band he will be playing at the Les Schwab Amphitheater in Bend's Old Mill District on Friday, July 16th. Nice outdoor venue on the banks of the Deschutes River with views of the Cascades.

Back