• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

RT Mirrors Solved

hlothery

Like many who have posted, I have been perturbed often by the mirrors of my RT. This, BTW, is my only complaint about the RT. I finally decided to do something, and went down to Alamo BMW, here in SA, and talked to Sid at the parts counter. He recommended, and ordered for me, two 2002-3 R1200S mirrors. These are fantastic, only seconds to install (if you don't make the bonehead move of dropping the nut into the engine, from where it will never return!:cry ) and they work great. They do not hit the windshield, even when at full lock and the windshield in the full down position. They give great visibility instantly, without having to crane your neck around your hands and elbows. They are a little pricey..............but, hey.......it's a BMW!:D

Also would like to see a pic, or since close maybe could meet at a localish watering hole and I look in person....:D

Thanks for the post.

Don't have a part number, but you could call Sid at Alamo BMW 210 828-5511. Don't have pictures, sorry. They were $191.00 for the pair.

Also would like to see a pic, or since close maybe could meet at a localish watering hole and I look in person....:D

Thanks for the post.

Would be happy to do that......I am frequently riding in the Canyon Lake area on weekends. Just let me know. :D

I read a post somewhere that someone had installed a set of K1200RS Sport mirrors, and they looked real nice. Post also had a pic, but I could not find them. Anyway, here is a pic of the mirror from A&S. I am going to get these as soon as my wallet catches up with my wants!:dance

http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=1792

K1200S mirrors on R1200RT

I like em a lot. I think they look like they were made for the bike. They really help when you have the topcase and a seat bag on the bike.

Front view

389701270_AMUo6-L.jpg

From the rear

389701380_JFfaA-L.jpg

I read a post somewhere that someone had installed a set of K1200RS Sport mirrors, and they looked real nice. Post also had a pic, but I could not find them. Anyway, here is a pic of the mirror from A&S. I am going to get these as soon as my wallet catches up with my wants!:dance

http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=1792

That is exactly like the mirror I have. It installs with one nut via an allen wrench in just seconds (if you don't drop the nut!). They look fantastic. And what an amazing difference in rearward visibility! May be the best $200 I have spent on the bike.:thumb

PS - thanks for posting the picture.....I had been looking, but unsuccessful. I am somewhat media challenged, however. :laugh

Don't have the part numbers, but did exact thing, pic attached, bags on top of side case perfectly block stock mirrors. Set up for me and my wife and full camping gear...

Attachments

• BRP_M1_08-01-2004   1.JPG
    BRP_M1_08-01-2004 1.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 2,933
alzyck.....not to hijack my own thread, but how do you like those little winglets?

They work out well for me. I live in Nebraska. I'm pretty sure Nebraska is a Native American word that means "Hot as Florida in the summer, cold as Minnesota in the winter."

What I like is that in the winter, I can set them to block the wind on my hands and wear a lighter, less cumbersome set of gloves. In the summer, I can turn them to get additional ventilation on my chest.

They don't block the wind as quite as well as a set of GS hand guards would, but they block it pretty darn good and you don't have to worry about handle bar clearance. In the summer, I haven't found anything else for the RT that works like a set of Baker Wings to get air back on my side of the windshield.

+1 on the RS mirrors. It was probably dumb luck but the first search I did on craigslist showed two listings, one for $40 the other at $50. The $40 pair shown here.

Attachments

• mv.jpg
    mv.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 2,919
Jan,

What part number are those mirrors you have and about how much were they? I checked into those RS mirrors last week, but at $85 + tax each, even though they look great, I just couldn't get myself to spend the money.

I guess I'm the only one who doesn't think they look good. It just doesn't look right to me.

But, I also like the RT mirrors. I too added small blind spot circlular mirrors like in the picture and I can see everything I need to see, on the sides and behind. I think the stock mirrors are great.

I guess I'm the only one who doesn't think they look good. It just doesn't look right to me.

But, I also like the RT mirrors. I too added small blind spot circlular mirrors like in the picture and I can see everything I need to see, on the sides and behind. I think the stock mirrors are great.

YMMV. I don't necessarily dislike the RT mirrors. I can tell you, however, that I was often surprised by a fast-moving car I did not see approaching. Yesterday (first day with the new mirrors) I could see cars directly behind me in both mirrors, while I could not see them at all in either of the stock RT mirrors. But, as I said.......YMMV.

Jan,

What part number are those mirrors you have and about how much were they? I checked into those RS mirrors last week, but at $85 + tax each, even though they look great, I just couldn't get myself to spend the money.

left- 51 167 653 773
right-51 167 653 774

I got a set from Chicago BMW for $49 each a year or so back, on occasion BeemerBoneyard has used ones

I added the spot mirrors, but found after packing a large H2W's bag I could not see behind me as well...
Adding the K mirrors took some visual getting used to, but they seem to be a stock look to me now.

YMMV. I don't necessarily dislike the RT mirrors. I can tell you, however, that I was often surprised by a fast-moving car I did not see approaching. Yesterday (first day with the new mirrors) I could see cars directly behind me in both mirrors, while I could not see them at all in either of the stock RT mirrors. But, as I said.......YMMV.

As a 'new' RT owner, I'm still getting accustomed to the various differences of the RT - so perhaps I'm hyper-sensitive at this point. My observation has been that I can see with the stock RT mirrors, but I am well aware that I am not seeing all I use to see with the handle bar mounted mirrors of other bikes. I find it unnerving that I am compromising the ability to track and monitor traffic by using the limited depth sightlines of the stock mirrors. I also have noticed having to be much more intentional when stopped at a light to monitor traffic behind me (by looking down at the mirrors), where it seems with handle bar mounted rigs - the mirrors fall naturally into my field of range as I watch the light and crossing traffic, etc.

Thanks for sharing your discovery.

Back