• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Ride It To Work (Every) Day

Just saw my post from 2003 in this thread. I'm still unable to ride to work due to equipment I must carry, and also due to wearing a uniform that I wouldn't want to crash in (too many hard or sharp bits attached to it- very similar to firefighter or paramedic attire), even in a heavy riding-suit.

But maybe the next job...

I never drive a car to work in the summer. The winters are too severe with snow and ice here in Minnesota in the winter to ride, so I switch to a car. I think that makes me about a 60/40 bike/car commuter. Maybe 2% of the time I ride a bicycle. I'm glad to be free of the car most of the time. Some people like to save the bike for recreation, but I never seem to burn out on riding.

My commute

I had this horrendous 25 mi (each way!)ÔÇö commute up and down the Silverado Trail to Calistoga. That's 250 mikes a week! WellÔÇö it IS sort of beautiful ( do you catch the sarcasm??)ÔÇö the only thing that bothered me was the cold, dark mornings. I was on a naked Triumph, so the first thing I got was a "fog shield"ÔÇö a thing that velcros into your full-face helmet between your nose and mouth. It worked!ÔÇö kept breath from fogging up the shield. Next, went to the nearest BMW dealer to buy electric socks and gloves. Now I'm feeling pretty cozy on those dark mornings. ButÔÇö I kept thinking about that RT I saw at the dealer. On my next free day I went for a test ride. I'm sold! I've never been on a BMW before, but, I like the feeling! Havn't needed the fog shield, electric gloves or socks since!

Been doing it since I started my new job in March. 12,000 miles on the GS this year, so far, and only 2000 on the truck.

My commute

20 miles each way = 40 miles/day round-trip
5 days a week = 200 miles/week
200 miles/week = 800 miles/month
800 miles/month = 9600 miles/year

It adds up fast!

Today I not only rode to work, I used my bike to deliver 50 lbs of quince to one of our prestigious Pacific Northwest restaurants, where a friend from college is a pastry chef.

Turns out I can fit about 30 lbs of quince in each Caribou case.

And then, with a nice check in my pocket, I rode Skyline home.

DSCN0019.jpg

What is the going rate for a pound of quince?

20 miles each way = 40 miles/day round-trip
5 days a week = 200 miles/week
200 miles/week = 800 miles/month
800 miles/month = 9600 miles/year

It adds up fast!

mine is about the same, 22 miles each leg...except for the 5-10 miles of lunchtime riding...sometimes to eat, sometimes to just ride some more and run by the bike shop to "browse":D

I ride to work as long as there is no snow/ice on the ground. I average about 8K a year. I'd ride longer, but its difficult to get a 2WD bike up a steep dirt driveway with 4" of compact snow/ice on it............. Tried it once on my little Rebel, fell over less than 3' from the garage. Hmmm......perhaps some slightly more aggressive tires on the GS??? Studded?

I ride to work as long as there is no snow/ice on the ground. I average about 8K a year. I'd ride longer, but its difficult to get a 2WD bike up a steep dirt driveway with 4" of compact snow/ice on it............. Tried it once on my little Rebel, fell over less than 3' from the garage. Hmmm......perhaps some slightly more aggressive tires on the GS??? Studded?

Aerostich has some gnarly looking self-tapping carbide studs. 100 of them for $87 (supposed to put 50 in each tar). I am giving some thought to decorating the tires on my XT.
What would the cops do if they caught one with studded tires???

I'm commonly known as a Rounder, a rider who rides year round. Each day that I must work my R1200RT is my vehicle of choice. On the less sunny days there are always 3 of us that can be found in the bike parking area, an old BMW K75, a naked Triumph Triple & me with my BMW R1200RT. Living in the Pacific Northwest, with its 7 months of rain, makes it more of a challenge. Having the right gear makes all the difference in the world. If you're dry, warm and on a comfortable bike the outside conditions mean less and are certainly no longer an excuse not to ride. With my 12 hour shift I ride both ways to work in the dark but have a second helmet outfitted with a clear visor.

On my days off I use the bike for grocery shopping, doctor's appointments and general errands. I manage to average right at 20,000 miles a year and have done so for the past 27 years. What's not to love about motorcycling?

Coming up on my second winter here in S.E. Michigan - quite a change for this native Southern Californian who once fought to keep the beach sand out of my garage. Didn't ride AT ALL last winter...I didn't know what to expect, but started up again last March. I got caught in the snow a few times, but the roads were always clear by going home time. I've ridden almost every day since then (except when I have test vehicles to drive for work) and frequently, my RT is by itself in our bike-specific parking area. I used to get the looks from co-workers (and even witnessed a co-worker paying off a bet that I wouldn't ride in on a particular day) but now, they just know I'll likely ride in, whether it is 95 degrees or 25 degrees (F). I do still get razzed by a few friends, as to whether I'll choose studs or chains to mount on the RTs rear tire :nyah

I did order a car this year though...my wife admitted that she worries about me riding in really nasty weather. So, instead of winterizing the bike this year, I'll leave it ready to ride in on those days that dawn bright and sunny, and keep the cage around for the nasty, slushy days.

Coming up on my second winter here in S.E. Michigan - quite a change for this native Southern Californian who once fought to keep the beach sand out of my garage. Didn't ride AT ALL last winter...I didn't know what to expect, but started up again last March. I got caught in the snow a few times, but the roads were always clear by going home time. I've ridden almost every day since then (except when I have test vehicles to drive for work) and frequently, my RT is by itself in our bike-specific parking area. I used to get the looks from co-workers (and even witnessed a co-worker paying off a bet that I wouldn't ride in on a particular day) but now, they just know I'll likely ride in, whether it is 95 degrees or 25 degrees (F). I do still get razzed by a few friends, as to whether I'll choose studs or chains to mount on the RTs rear tire :nyah

I did order a car this year though...my wife admitted that she worries about me riding in really nasty weather. So, instead of winterizing the bike this year, I'll leave it ready to ride in on those days that dawn bright and sunny, and keep the cage around for the nasty, slushy days.

At the dealer on Saturday, I encountered a gentleman who was just awarded the BMW 900,000 mile award. He rides 40,000 to 50,000 miles a year. Among his many Beamers, he keeps dedicated wheels and tires mounted for his main bikes to include touring tires, sport/touring tires, and snow tires.

This guy just had to put the bug in my head to have snow tires. Curses!

When I left for the dealer Saturday morning, the temp was about 36F. Lots of looks from all of the fans going the same way to "the game" given the temp. I've riden at 22F and so far, at 95F. So many people here limit it to about 65F to 90F and anything outside those boundaries just isn't "cricket."

Good luck to you in your riding and being an inspiration to your peers.

Regards,

Randy Kasal

Aerostich has some gnarly looking self-tapping carbide studs. 100 of them for $87 (supposed to put 50 in each tar). I am giving some thought to decorating the tires on my XT.
What would the cops do if they caught one with studded tires???

Don't know the penalty in MI, but here is an interesting research article on studs..

http://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/bitstream/2027.42/555/2/33652.0001.001.pdf

And here's the MI vehicle code on it:
http://www.michiganlegislature.org/mileg.asp?page=getobject&objname=mcl-257-709&relation=next

Don't know the penalty in MI, but here is an interesting research article on studs..

http://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/bitstream/2027.42/555/2/33652.0001.001.pdf

And here's the MI vehicle code on it:
http://www.michiganlegislature.org/mileg.asp?page=getobject&objname=mcl-257-709&relation=next

RE: research - the link did not work for me.
RE: the law - hmmmmm, so if I deliver a couple pieces of mail on the way to and from the store, then maybe I could get by with studs??????

It appears that link is correct, but is not working right now. I'd say "try again later"?
Too bad, because it's an interesting, albeit dry read.

I've been riding regularly this fall and have experienced beautiful weather. This week high temps will be in the 60's. My low temp on the way to work so far this year has only been 31F. My Aerostich Darien jacket is my absolute favorite piece of gear in the 30's to 50's.

I just wish I lived more than 10 miles to work!

Back