• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1200RT LED Supplemental Brake Light

gfspencer

Wednesday I had the BMW Supplemental Brake Light added to my R1200RT. It came in handy on my first ride. I was on the way back from the dealership and a pickup truck was following way too close. The person in front of me made a last second decision to jam on the brakes and turn left. I grabbed my brakes, ABS came on, and the pickup managed to stop. Did my brake lights do the trick? I don't know for sure but it is reassuring to know that the supplemental lights are back there and blinking.

Whew! You wouldn't look good as a grille ornament on a pickup truck. Glad the supplemental brake light did its job. I've had flashing Hyperlites on my last three bikes, right next to the license plate on my RT. Like you, I think they have saved me but you can't prove it, and for the price I don't care to find out either way.

OE motorcycle brake lights are like OE motorcycle horns: they just don't work like they should.

pete
-"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." - Oscar Wilde

I'm interested. Would you be so kind as to give us the BMW part number and price? Also, where did you get them? Thanks.

Greetings
We also have been looking conspicuous rear lighting. These look like they might be a little over the top but work. I was thinking of using velcro that way I could move them between the mud flap and the side cases of the RT. The 8" ones should fit. These Dual Color Plasma Mega Rods should get us noticed.
dcplasmanew_small.jpg
Low Intensity Red Running, High Intensity Red Brake, High Intensity Yellow Turn Signal - All in one Sleek Plasma Rod
Dual Converters Included, No Modules Required
Wiring is a Simple as Connecting Orange Wire to Running Light, Red Wire to Brake Light, Yellow Wire to Turn, Black to Ground

Nothing said about affecting the can bus. The site is set up for the H-D riders.
Tony

true but the BMW light has a 2 year warranty so you should have gotten a replacemnt if in warranty.

Be aware that modern BMWs use a1 filament bulb for both brake and tail light and use pulse modulation to control intensity. Whatever you use has to be capable of being connected to this type of system.

Skenes P3 are brighter and larger than Hyperlights.

Some folks have adapted trucl led tail lamps from Whelen or others that are bigger and brighter than any of the above

I believe you looked at the wrong item number. I ordered the BMW unit from Sierra BMW. My RT is a 2011 so it does have the CANBUS. Here's a recap of my order from Sierra's order history. The installation was easy- plug 'n play into the unused plug under the passenger seat.

I highlighted the part number for you.

I have also used the Skene Design P3 LED lights on both an '04 R1200 CLC and an '04 RT-P and was pleased with them, but there was some use of wire splices required and I had to find a place under the front seat for the control unit and make the splices there. Either system is fine, IMO, but the BMW unit was an easier install. The only slightly difficult thing with regard to the BMW unit's installation was passing the wires through the fender.

1 x BMW Deluxe Supplemental LED CAN-bus Brake Light
R1200RT 61000445579 $168.00

I believe you looked at the wrong item number. I ordered the BMW unit from Sierra BMW. My RT is a 2011 so it does have the CANBUS. Here's a recap of my order from Sierra's order history. The installation was easy- plug 'n play into the unused plug under the passenger seat.

I highlighted the part number for you.

I have also used the Skene Design P3 LED lights on both an '04 R1200 CLC and an '04 RT-P and was pleased with them, but there was some use of wire splices required and I had to find a place under the front seat for the control unit and make the splices there. Either system is fine, IMO, but the BMW unit was an easier install. The only slightly difficult thing with regard to the BMW unit's installation was passing the wires through the fender.

1 x BMW Deluxe Supplemental LED CAN-bus Brake Light
R1200RT 61000445579 $168.00

Got it. Thanks.

Here's a couple pictures of the BMW LED light on my wife's K1300S.
The light stays on as a running. When you apply the brakes the light flashes for a second or two, then goes to a steady brake light.

IMG_0097.jpg

IMG_0080.jpg

If you buy or mail order the BMW light for CANBUS you will receive ZERO instructions.

How to wire this may have been posted here previously, but I'm not certain. I'd have it dealer installed.

I'm interested. Would you be so kind as to give us the BMW part number and price? Also, where did you get them? Thanks.

BMW Supplemental LED Brake Light [63210419461]

I got mine at BMW-Ducati of Charlotte. You will also need a wiring harness depending on your bike and year.

If you buy or mail order the BMW light for CANBUS you will receive ZERO instructions.

How to wire this may have been posted here previously, but I'm not certain. I'd have it dealer installed.

You are quite right. I had the dealer install mine.

I like the Skene Design P3s. Bright, easy to install, programmable flash patterns, CANBUS friendly and no waterproof issues.

Greetings
We also have been looking conspicuous rear lighting. These look like they might be a little over the top but work. I was thinking of using velcro that way I could move them between the mud flap and the side cases of the RT. The 8" ones should fit. These Dual Color Plasma Mega Rods should get us noticed.
View attachment 38256
Low Intensity Red Running, High Intensity Red Brake, High Intensity Yellow Turn Signal - All in one Sleek Plasma Rod
Dual Converters Included, No Modules Required
Wiring is a Simple as Connecting Orange Wire to Running Light, Red Wire to Brake Light, Yellow Wire to Turn, Black to Ground

Nothing said about affecting the can bus. The site is set up for the H-D riders.
Tony

They look awesome, but they won't work as intended on a CANbus bike. There is only one lead for the running and brake light as it is controlled via PWM (pulse width modulation)

They look awesome, but they won't work as intended on a CANbus bike. There is only one lead for the running and brake light as it is controlled via PWM (pulse width modulation)
Actually - depends on the CANBUS bike. R1200R has two bulbs, one for running (and license plate) one for brake. If one fails the ZFE knows it and runs the other one at half-brightness as a running light and full brightness as a brake light.

Actually - depends on the CANBUS bike. R1200R has two bulbs, one for running (and license plate) one for brake. If one fails the ZFE knows it and runs the other one at half-brightness as a running light and full brightness as a brake light.

Well, I stand corrected then. One lead on my 2007 RT, though.

And even the R1200R is not consistent between model years. My 2012 has one bulb with dual filaments for the running and brake light, and a separate bulb with holder for the license plate.

But you have to be careful when you tap into one of the circuits, if there's a sufficient drop in voltage from the new lights, the system thinks one of the bulbs is out and runs the other at half brightness. Depends on the drain of the new lights.

Back