• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Photo Assignment: Weekend 11/17/07

This is gorgeous too! Stunning, really. (Rules? Bah!)

You wouldn't happen to know the aperture of this exposure off hand? I always understood (not saying it's true) that dust isn't apparent below f/5.6. Smaller apertures (8/11/16/22/32) supposedly show dust. I'm just curious. Thanks. :wave

1/160 at f10.

Had the zoom set to about 70mm.

Nope. It is an Olympus digital camera.
I didn't mess with ISO at all (I didn't even think of it):blush

Give it a whirl. It would go a long way towards solving your motion blur. Every step in the ISO range buys you one aperature setting or shutter speed.

ISO shutter speed aperature

• 100 1/15 f/2.8
  • 200 1/30 f/2.8
  • 400 1/60 f/2.8
  • 800 1/125 f/2.8
  • 1600 1/250 f/2.8
or

• 100 1/15 f/2.8
  • 200 1/15 f/4.0
  • 400 1/15 f/5.6
  • 800 1/15 f/8.0
  • 1600 1/15 f/11

Of course, the down side is that the higher the ISO, the noisier the image. This is most noticeable in P&S cameras, less noticeable in crop sensor cameras (i.e. Canon Rebel) and even less noticeable still in full-frame cameras (i.e. Canon 5D). I'm still amazed by the ability to randomly change the ISO settings. In the film days, you set your ASA to the film's rating and left it there.

The camera you're using looks like a good one. Don't forget to or be afraid of playing with the settings, especially given that you can monitor the results straight away.

Last edited:
Thank you Tom. I found a dusty CD that came with my camera. It has some strange markings on it which may help. It says M-a-n-u-a-l :laugh

I was so excited when I got it, I never looked at the CD. Now may be the time, since
I actually understand what some of the photography terms mean now.
I found the B&W setting purely by accident. :blush

I have had good luck with my Olympus (photo wise, the first one fell in water).

ZC765A.JPG

The Olympus C-765 Ultra Zoom is the latest in an ongoing line of long-zoom digicams from Olympus. While the long-zoom market is getting more crowded these days, Olympus really pioneered it with their excellent C-2100, and still retains a commanding position with their latest C-765 and C-770 models. The Olympus C-765 UltraZoom sports a four megapixel CCD and a full 10x zoom lens, a new TruePic Turbo processor and a larger LCD, along with a range of features tailored to "enthusiast" users looking for full exposure control and compatibility with external flash units.

EDIT:62 to 400 ISO ooops! :blush

Last edited:
Yike$! This look$ like a nice len$.

I was thinking the <a href="http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/18200.htm" target="_new">AF-S Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED Lens with VR</a>. It would basically replace my Nikon AF Nikkor 35-70mm f/2.8D (which I purchased with the body (D70) before I did any research - damn impulse buy!).

I picked up the 70-300 VR for the D80, very pleased with it. Here's a sample

(correction) the first is set at 300

then from the same position another shot that is tightly cropped, I didn't even see the bugs until I got home and was processing the images, note the second is cropped (shot at the same 300mm setting) so it is more to show the detail you can capture. Both hand held.

DSC_2852_edited-1-web.jpg

DSC_2853_edited-2-detail-web.jpg

RM

Last edited:
I'd like to revisit Triangles as a theme again, in the not too distant future. I think we've all missed a great opportunity. Most, if not all of our pictures have captured triangles as part of our images. It looks (and forgive me if I'm wrong) that the triangle has been the subject and that if we've captured triangles outside of the subject, then it's been accidental. With photographs being oblong, I'm sure that the shapes created outside of the subject could have been far more creatively utilised, and that's why I'd like another pop at this.

As I said, if the picture you posted does aim to use the edge of the picture as part of a triangle, then I'm sorry I missed it.

photo assignments

That new Nikon is bringing you good luck Dave; that's your second magazine cover quality shot in 6 months (the other being your RT star shot).

But there's also skill involved, right?:D

Rinty

That new Nikon is bringing you good luck Dave; that's your second magazine cover quality shot in 6 months (the other being your RT star shot).

But there's also skill involved, right?:D

Rinty

I'm telling you man, I'm just a chimpanzee that gets lucky once in a while. I'm certainly no Bluestune.

And thank you. The fog was really thick on the road to the top and I was afraid I was going to lose all my light or that the top would be fogged in. :ha

I picked up the 70-300 VR for the D80, very pleased with it. Here's a sample

(correction) the first is set at 300

then from the same position another shot that is tightly cropped, I didn't even see the bugs until I got home and was processing the images, note the second is cropped (shot at the same 300mm setting) so it is more to show the detail you can capture. Both hand held.

RM

Thanks, RM. I like the idea of going up to 300mm, but I really like the flexibility of 18-200mm (wide-angle to telephoto)...

"Best Price Cameras.com" http://www.bestpricecameras.com/prodetails.asp?prodid=521379 has the 18-200mm for $400 (that's almost $300 off).

Do you think it's too good to be true?

Thank you Tom. I found a dusty CD that came with my camera. It has some strange markings on it which may help. It says M-a-n-u-a-l :laugh

I was so excited when I got it, I never looked at the CD. Now may be the time, since
I actually understand what some of the photography terms mean now.
I found the B&W setting purely by accident. :blush

I have had good luck with my Olympus (photo wise, the first one fell in water).

ZC765A.JPG

EDIT:62 to 400 ISO ooops! :blush

That's the same basic camera I used for my wheel shot that was (and still is) one of my best. Just goes to show mega pixels don't count but for so much, its the photographer behind the lens that makes the picture more than a mere snapshot.

RM

Thanks, RM. I like the idea of going up to 300mm, but I really like the flexibility of 18-200mm (wide-angle to telephoto)...

"Best Price Cameras.com" http://www.bestpricecameras.com/prodetails.asp?prodid=521379 has the 18-200mm for $400 (that's almost $300 off).

no doubt that having an 18mm lens is nice, I went for the 70-300 cause I have the 18-70 lens so that lower range was already covered. Do some research on the vendor and see what pops up, then if it looks good go for it. I've not had any experience with them so can't say.

RM

no doubt that having an 18mm lens is nice, I went for the 70-300 cause I have the 18-70 lens so that lower range was already covered. Do some research on the vendor and see what pops up, then if it looks good go for it. I've not had any experience with them so can't say.

RM

OK... So I did a quick Google search...

Expinions.com: "Scam", "Ripped OFF", and "Another Sucker".
CNet.com: "Scam artists", "Bait and switch"
ReSellerRatings.com: 0.13 (out of 10!) "STAY AWAY"

FYI they also do business as (not a complete list):
Best Stop Camera
Century 21
Hello Camera
Infiniti Cameras
Infiniti Photo
Infinity Cameras
J&K Cameras, Inc.
Mr. Accessory
Regency Camera
Regency Photo & Video, Inc.

:gerg "If it's too good to be true, well..."

That's the same basic camera I used for my wheel shot that was (and still is) one of my best. Just goes to show mega pixels don't count but for so much, its the photographer behind the lens that makes the picture more than a mere snapshot.

RM
That explains why I have so many snapshots. :laugh
My last one was 2Mp w/10x and it fell in a cooler at Lima. The good news was this one was a 4th the price and had 2 million more pixels.

May I chime in?

B&H, Adorama, and Canoga Camera are all reputable dealers with decades of reputation built up. They sell major equipment darned near dealer cost--and you'll notice that their prices are nearly identical. If someone is selling something substantially below the prices of these major photographic retailers, something fishy is going on. As a former retail and wholesale salesperson in the photographic field, that's my best advice.

Several of our members have expressed opinions about buying locally and supporting the small retailer. I fully agree that this is a good bet, too.

On the 18-200 I can only say this: a lens that does everything won't do anything as well as a less all-encompassing lens. I see the appeal of this lens and I can't say anything about its quality--I have no experience with it. You might check out what the folks at dpreview or dgrin have to say.

Good luck. There's nothing like a new lens (except maybe a new motorcycle) to put a spring in your step!

May I chime in?

B&H, Adorama, and Canoga Camera are all reputable dealers with decades of reputation built up. They sell major equipment darned near dealer cost--and you'll notice that their prices are nearly identical. If someone is selling something substantially below the prices of these major photographic retailers, something fishy is going on. As a former retail and wholesale salesperson in the photographic field, that's my best advice.

Several of our members have expressed opinions about buying locally and supporting the small retailer. I fully agree that this is a good bet, too.

On the 18-200 I can only say this: a lens that does everything won't do anything as well as a less all-encompassing lens. I see the appeal of this lens and I can't say anything about its quality--I have no experience with it. You might check out what the folks at dpreview or dgrin have to say.

Good luck. There's nothing like a new lens (except maybe a new motorcycle) to put a spring in your step!

I haven't tried the 18-200 but the results I've gotten with the 70-300 VR have been very nice. Note that they are heavier by a good 1/4 or 1/3 becuase of the VR motors and sensors, but mine hasn't noticably effected battery life. Do a hands-on by all means if you can.

Also with the downturn in the holiday shopping that expected to effect sales, I'm looking for some good deals to show up at local vendors, esp. post holiday.

RM

All good points, gents.

I suppose it will take some time to find the right lens There have been mixed reviews on the 18-200mm (mostly creeping and clarity issues), but all positive for the VR.

The 35-70mm has served me well, and I really just want wide angle and a telephoto options. I was only dreaming of finding something that would fit in my existing camera bag (sized for one camera with lens attached).

I think Ill take the D70 down to Ritz and try out a few different options. Ill probably choose between a wide angle and a telephoto. At this point, the 70-200mm VR lens looks like it may work well for me, but Id definitely like to try out the 70-300mm VR. To many choices :hungover

(For the record, the lens is instead of a new motorcycle. Im trying to distract myself from the K1200R Sport Its calling to me from the dark side. :evil )

Thanks!
-Alex

All good points, gents.

I suppose it will take some time to find the right lens There have been mixed reviews on the 18-200mm (mostly creeping and clarity issues), but all positive for the VR.

The 35-70mm has served me well, and I really just want wide angle and a telephoto options. I was only dreaming of finding something that would fit in my existing camera bag (sized for one camera with lens attached).

I think Ill take the D70 down to Ritz and try out a few different options. Ill probably choose between a wide angle and a telephoto. At this point, the 70-200mm VR lens looks like it may work well for me, but Id definitely like to try out the 70-300mm VR. To many choices :hungover

(For the record, the lens is instead of a new motorcycle. Im trying to distract myself from the K1200R Sport Its calling to me from the dark side. :evil )

Thanks!
-Alex

for what its worth I did some checking on the site my co-worker was raving about, well, it seems they, like the one you were looking at, also got seriously panned in every review I saw, so you're not only one get hoodwinked into an over abundance of exuberance!:banghead :laugh

RM

This is a great example of a "fill flash". Great shot for photography class discussion: what's good, what could be improved upon?

222860365-XL.jpg

This is a good example of fill flash. This is very nicely exposed and composed shot. Another technique is to bounce natural light into the subject using a reflector or reflective surface. I'm not suggesting this would improve this particular shot, but it minimizes the opportunity for things like the reflective license plate to "glow" and the light that is bounced (assuming the reflective surface is white or color neutral) is more natural looking. Using reflective surfaces involves more work (often) but you can really put light in some hard to reach places and keep it off areas where you don't want it by using smaller reflectors or masking reflectors (or even additional strobes). I know Tom wasn't setting up a big shot with lots of gear on this one, but there are many options for getting fill light in a shot like this. Also, with reflectors (white, silver or black) you can really craft the position and shapes of highlight and shadow areas. All this is an entirely specialized aspect of shooting that is used in many commercial shots, but amateurs can borrow the technique here and there making subtle, but significant improvements in lighting without a great deal of expense. This is particularly true if you are shooting a semi-formal portrait using typical consumer gear. Wish I had the means/opportunity to demonstrate some of this.

Since everything in this shot appears to be stationary, it would have been interesting to see if Tom could have dragged the shutter* (using a graduated ND filter on the upper portion of the shot) on this exposure to get some motion blur on the turbine in the background. *Potential exposure issue here balancing the unlit foreground with the full sun background at a slower shutter speed.

(BTW, all these comments are easy to make post shutter click while looking at someone else's image. These decisions are not obvious while standing behind the viewfinder. This is a GREAT shot as is.)

Wow!

I am seeing a lot of great photographic talent among BMW MOA members in these weekend photo threads. Some of the photos from last weekend are just stunning.

Thanks, Tom, for getting it started and keeping it going.

Back