• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Canadian suppliers

Hi guys:

Does anyone know where I can get shipped from Canada;

#1 Stebel horn
#2 Battery Minder. (Yes the one that claims to fix sulphation, I may be an idiot but I believe these guys)
#3 Battlaxe BT021 tires at low prices.

When I order from the states things get stuck at the border and I end up paying tax and duty that really should not apply and it bugs me lots.

Thanks in advance.

When I order from the states, things get stuck at the border and I end up paying tax and duty that really should not apply and it bugs me lots.

Thanks in advance.

1) There is NO DUTY on motorcycle parts and accessories (other than textiles).

2) You end up paying tax no matter where you buy. I'd sooner pay tax on a lesser amount, that means, buying in the US.

3) If you are concerned with those rediculous brokerage fees, have them ship your order using the US Postal Service - Ground. All you'll pay is a $5 handling fee at Canada Post, PST and GST.

4) If you live close enough to the border with a UPS Store stateside, have your orders shipped there. There is a $5 holding fee for boxes and $3 holding fee for envelopes.

1) There is NO DUTY on motorcycle parts and accessories (other than textiles).

2) You end up paying tax no matter where you buy. I'd sooner pay tax on a lesser amount, that means, buying in the US.

3) If you are concerned with those rediculous brokerage fees, have them ship your order using the US Postal Service - Ground. All you'll pay is a $5 handling fee at Canada Post, PST and GST.

4) If you live close enough to the border with a UPS Store stateside, have your orders shipped there. There is a $5 holding fee for boxes and $3 holding fee for envelopes.

My experience as well. Now, since I have family in the U.S. I periodically (ie a pair of Sidi boots or Heated Jacket Liner) have them send the goods up as a gift to me (after I paid for them of course) by Ground postal. Knowing someone who will do this for you is a real advantage and in that way I am fortunate.

As for tires, I always get mine at Bourques in Moncton, NB. Excellent prices. All who visit up this way might want to take note of this. I could get my tires, even with the taxes, cheaper there than I could in the U.S. during our trip last summer. -Bob

MotorradMike wrote:

Does anyone know where I can get shipped from Canada;

#1 Stebel horn
#2 Battery Minder. (Yes the one that claims to fix sulphation, I may be an idiot but I believe these guys)
#3 Battlaxe BT021 tires at low prices.

#1. Could not find a Canadian supplier that would sell them at less than double the price available from USA.
#2. See #1
#3. Biggest problem here is shipping. Canada Post does not seem to want to handle tires due to size and weight, or so they tell me. Other shippers charge way to much.

As has been said, if you can get the horn and battery charger sent via mail, it will save you a bundle. Just make sure that you get insurance on them. Both the US and Canadian Postal Services have been known to "misplace" the odd parcel.

As to tires, I usually buy them in the USA and will get them shipped to a friend just across the border in Washington state. Then go pick them up the next time I am down that way. Have done this with lots of other things as well. It also gets around the problem where some American suppliers and Fleabay sellers will not ship outside the USA because it is too much of a hassle for them.

If anyone knows of a Canadian supplier of tires that will ship across Canada for a reasonable price, please let us all know. All my local dealers charge at least 3 times the current pricing in the USA. Total rip off.

:ca

I send all my Canadian orders via the US Post Office, and include a tariff number on the label indicating that the contents are motorcycle parts , on which there is no duty.

No shipments have ever been charged duty, or brokerage fees.

Make sure that the US shipper does NOT use UPS, as they seem to have a racket going where they tack on very high customs brokerage fees on shipments that should have no customs duty the first place.

I send all my Canadian orders via the US Post Office, and include a tariff number on the label indicating that the contents are motorcycle parts , on which there is no duty.

No shipments have ever been charged duty, or brokerage fees.

Make sure that the US shipper does NOT use UPS, as they seem to have a racket going where they tack on very high customs brokerage fees on shipments that should have no customs duty the first place.

Amen to that. I once ordered a $15 part from the US, the supplier shipped it UPS, and it ended up costing me $60!

Agreed. UPS is a rip off. I always try to us the US Postal Service. Have lost a couple of items in shipping, but the insurance covered the costs. UPS has charged as much as $50 "Brokerage Fee" for an item worth less than $10. They have also tried to charge me Customs Duties on items that have no Duty. And if you refuse to pay it, they send their collection agency after you.

Have also had an issue with a couple of senders telling me that they are sending via Post office, but they arrive via UPS. I see the UPS truck arrive and automatically refuse delivery. The driver gets all upset and I tell him "Sorry, I did not order any items to be delivered by UPS. Return to sender." Sender gets all upset, as they now have to pay the return shipping as well as the UPS Brokerage fees, and some other stuff. I cancel the item on my Visa or PayPal and tell the sender that if they would send in the manner that was agreed to, I would accept the shipment. Some have complied, and some have not. Too Bad, So Sad.

Amen to that. I once ordered a $15 part from the US, the supplier shipped it UPS, and it ended up costing me $60!

I have paid a $107 for a $60 item and $36 for a $18 item. I now specify to shippers that they NOT use UPS.

I donÔÇÖt know about their shipping fees, but Zdenos in Kitchener ON 519-745-7010 sells tires for reasonable prices. However, if I were as close to the border as you, I'd be tempted to order tires and go for a ride into the USA to have tires installed. The one time that I needed a tire in the US, I was pleasantly surprised with the price as compared to here in Ontario.

I have paid a $107 for a $60 item and $36 for a $18 item. I now specify to shippers that they NOT use UPS.

I donÔÇÖt know about their shipping fees, but Zdenos in Kitchener ON 519-745-7010 sells tires for reasonable prices. However, if I were as close to the border as you, I'd be tempted to order tires and go for a ride into the USA to have tires installed. The one time that I needed a tire in the US, I was pleasantly surprised with the price as compared to here in Ontario.

Before we left on our last trip south, I called various suppliers along our route. Installation cost was always about three times my local cost ($50 total). Too bad because I still had life on the tires. New tires ate up all 11,200 miles. -Bob

Thanks for the responses guys.

I think Zdenos might pan out for me. Closed today but I can wait. Thanks to Paul_F for that.

I learned my lesson when I ordered a set of tires from Bushtec and I didn't ask how they shipped things!
My $17 tires times 2 cost me around $200 when landed in Canada!

They used UPS and they added Brokerage fees, handeling fees, duty and taxes!

I make sure when I order anything that it get shipped by US Postal Service to my US address and then go over and bring it across by myself! Leagally!

Darryl

I simply will not deal with any vendor who will not ship USPS. I get stuph from Fleabay and it's usually here in less than 10 days, weekends included, via USPS. Occasionally I have to pay the handling charge and PST/GST, but often I don't. CycleGadgets has been excellent, as has CruiserCustomizing. As for tyres, another vote for Zdeno's in KW, really good pricing, quick installs on weekdays, and I'm even closer to them now that I'm working in Guelph. If they could just get more farkle stuph there...

Dave...

My $17 tires times 2 cost me around $200 when landed in Canada!

They used UPS and they added Brokerage fees, handeling fees, duty and taxes!

Taxes are a small part and will always run you less when ordering from the US, but I honestly think UPS should provide some user instructions...bend over till you reach your ankles and use plenty of KY jelly. :laugh

I wouldn't even sweat the Stebel- we found a very comparable horn for my cL at Candian Tire at a very reasonablle price.

Cheryl

Back