• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Coleman tent/stove on sale (and other things)

testinglogin

Hogaan!
Coleman is clearing out some of their "2008" camping gear on their website. On really good deal is their "Crestline 4-person tent" for $29.99. I actually used this the first time I went to the MOA rally ('06). It's big for one person, but roomy for two. If you were there, you remember the rain the last day - I didn't get a drop on me in this tent. In fact, all the times I used it it kept me very dry, wasn't too hard to setup (4 poles, two in an "X" and two on the sides, that give you a bit more area) - it's very stable in the wind and has a 59" center height, so you can stand all bent over to get pants on, which can be nice. :) If I recall, it's around 8 pounds. Not a lightweight, but a good roomy tent for two that works OK for bike touring and great for car camping, and a steal for the price:

9277H107_200.jpg

They have some other stuff on sale. There is a small stove that runs on their "powermax" fuel for a decent price, a cheap "HPZ" stove, a few of their "Exponent" backpacking tents (I have two that work well for motorcycle camping, though none of the ones on sale), and some flashlights and other sundry items. Check them out if you're interested.

That is a really good deal. I been using a Coleman for 5 years now. Mine looks like yours but is not as big. Still plenty roomy for me. Mine too has never leaked. The extra room comes in handy for stowing your extra gear when going out on rides, bad weather, or just going to the Beer Garden. I looked at the pricer tent's but for the little camping that I do, I could not justify the cost. Good luck with yours.:thumb

Just got one!

Been thinkin about a tent had no idea what to get been walkin the sporting goods sections at Walmart ,Dicks and Cabelas so on your expert advise and nice tent at cheep price I just ordered one.

How can you go wrong at that price. I wont use a tent too often but when I do Ill have one and if I camp its sure to rain.:thumb If it will keep me dry and the bugs out thats all you can ask for.:dance

Thanks for the tip! R and R

size

Shipping size is 23.5 x 7.25 x 7 , 12 lb so I would think you could take a little off of all of these for packaging. my guess.

Air mat / Cot

What do you guys/gals use for a cot/air mat? Anything small light and still usable out there?:dunno

Shipping size is 23.5 x 7.25 x 7 , 12 lb so I would think you could take a little off of all of these for packaging. my guess.

That's about right. I still have my original one (blue instead of red), and the bag is about 23". It fits nicely into a large Ortleib bag with room for a bunch of other stuff. It has a nie stuff sack for everything to pack into, although I have no idea if they have changed the way they pack it or not. I'm not sure why they would, but just as an FYI, I don't have that info.

What do you guys/gals use for a cot/air mat? Anything small light and still usable out there?:dunno

I'm using a therm-a-rest, though I need to find something better. When I sleep on my side I end up waking up with a sore pelvis, like it was getting deformed. It's expensive, but I'm considering the crazy expensive cot that Aerostich carries that folds up really small.

jdmetzger - As I got older (and bonier) the Thermarest by itself posed the same problems for me. Don't throw that Thermarest away if you're going to get the cot. I have one and love it, but it needs the Thermarest for comfort and warmth if cool outside.

Wow

2days 23 + - hrs later my tent has arrived!! Bring on the Rallys !!!!

You dont get much faster service than that.:thumb to Coleman.

Coleman's air mattress is quite comfy, think it measures about 8.5" when inflated.

I experience about 10% leakers right out of the box though, so keep that in mind.

2days 23 + - hrs later my tent has arrived!! Bring on the Rallys !!!!

You dont get much faster service than that.:thumb to Coleman.

Mine is supposed to arrive today, though I ordered a day before everyone else. :p

Mind you, I have no idea why I now own three tents, but they are all Colemans. I guess one is my "long rally" tent - a "3 person" adventure-style tent from their Exponent line, a "traveling tent" which is a "2 person" (barely) bivy-style tent, also from their Exponent line, and then this new one - which will be good when I'm camping with the dog for a few days, or if/when my "long rally" tent wears out. Not sure when that will be - I spilled gasoline on the rain fly and the thing still looks/works good as new.

Easier way to go

For the National there is an easier way to go ...
Bachorz223s.jpg

Let Ted do it all! :thumb
  • Put up the tents
  • Pump and repump all the leakers
  • Provide coffee - No Lines!
  • Provide towels each day
  • Provide pillows
  • Provide chairs
  • Provide charging stations - 110 and DC
  • Provide ice storage
  • Put a mint on the pillow
  • Provide shade and chairs
  • Take down the tents
This is not an advertisement but the voice of experience. For a big multiday event, do you really want to carry all that stuff? Live a little!

One important thing to note about Coleman tents.....They will keep you dry! Even in the toughest of conditions, if properly set up and maintained.

I have been using them for 11 years now and they have never let me down. Even the inexpensive ones will do this. The difference between a $39 Coleman and a $100 Coleman is about 7-10 years of use. The $39 tent will have fiberglass poles, the more expensive ones will have aluminum (MUCH BETTER).

For $30 you could get a new one every year or so.

I had a $39 Coleman that was over a year old and was on my way home from Key West one year, when I discovered it was "Spring Break". Everything was booked from the Keys to the Florida state line. At 3:00AM I decided to camp in a no camping area and deal with the circumstances later. In my haste to set up my tent, I broke a fiberglass pole. I screwed around with it for several months, first with bandaid fixes, then later with a Wallmart $10 repair kit. Never much success!

I was ready to throw it out and decided to call Coleman customer service. After explaining what happened, the agent sent me a new pole made for the tent.

FREE!

I used it for another 2 years!

By the way, I think it was pretty much the same tent that is on sale for $29. You can go to most any outdoor store and catch them on sale for $39 year round.

Needless to say, I am a big Coleman fan.
T

BY the way, Ted uses Coleman products at every event I have seen them at. He uses te $39 tent like I had.
T

BY the way, Ted uses Coleman products at every event I have seen them at. He uses te $39 tent like I had.
T

I've never seen the tents I use go for $39, their site lists them for $60 for 7x7 and $70 for 9x7. I get a qty discount, of course.

They do hold up well, when properly staked, they can withstand pretty severe weather. Only lost two or three with that huge storm in Lima (out of 80 tents, winds gusted over 60 mph).

Coleman has been very good as far as replacing leaky air mattresses, tent poles, etc.

I do use Coleman tents, air mattresses and sleeping bags. Looks like only recently they started making chairs that suit my needs, in the past, I've always gotten ozark chairs (and full size pillows) from Walmart.

The Coleman products put up with a decent amount of abuse and have no regrets using their products.

The one I had was a 7x7 and I believe it had a MSRP of around $60. Caught it on sale at Sportsmans Warehouse for $39.95. Seems like they are on sale every time I go in the store.

Pay's to look around a bit. Coleman has the best bang for the buck going in camping equipment (in my humble opinion).
T

Received mine, today. They changed the packaging a bit from my "old" model, which only came in a stuff sack. This one has a longer package with a zipper.

First things first - I was a bit worried when I pulled out a tightly packed green bag, but inside the green bag is another cardboard box with the tent inside. The rolled up tent by itself is pretty close to the figures above. It's pretty much right on at 23". I'd say 7x7 for width and height, though maybe 6.5. Not bad for a tent this size. :)

Here it is rolled up:
crestline1.jpg

Here it is with it's green bag. It's plenty roomy, so I don't think there would be a problem re-packing it if you decide to use the green bag. I may use a separate stuff sack, myself.
crestline2.jpg

For proof, here it is fitting easily into my large Ortleib bag that I strap to the rear seat:
crestline4.jpg

And here it is with it's green bag separate to show that there is room enough for two, plus space on top of them, yet. I know the green bag is not expanded. It would still fit, trust me. There is also plenty of room on top for other things. Maybe not enough for a sleeping bag rolled (you probably wouldn't be able to roll the Ortleib bag down).
crestline3.jpg

And finally, just a shot of the Ortleib bag holding the tent. Again, it's the "large" size:
crestline5.jpg

I hope everyone who ordered likes them. Seems like a steal for $29. If you don't like it, sell it on E-bay for $40 or $50. :) If you have a yellow bag like mine, I think you could get the tent plus two therm-a-rests, or one therm-a-rest and a small sleeping bag (that rolls up to a similar size) in there. Possibly more. Judge for yourself, of course.

And sorry, no set-up pictures. It's very cold and snowy outside, I have a cold, and I'm not sure I have room in my house to set it up without moving furniture. :)

Coleman Tent Reveiw

Very imformative. Thanks for taking the time and pictures, which allows other members the chance to see this bargain.

Back