• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Being men of a certain age...

Firenailer

I just came back from the Doctor and found that the discomfort I've been feeling after rides seems to be caused by an enlarged Prostate. He called it Prostatitus. At 50 plus he wasn't too concerned, but it does cause quite a bit of pain in the "region". Ok Guys we're all pretty much in the same demographic, any suggestions? :dunno

Thanks,
Bob
'04K1200GT

Yep. One suggestion. Cranberries. :)

I started having problems several years ago. (I'm 59) After reading on up on the subject, Cranberry Juice & berries work really well.

We have started buying frozen whole berries around the end of the Christmas season each year and keeping them in the freezer. About a tablespoon each day will work wonders...guaranteed.

In the meantime, start drinking about 6-8 oz. of juice each day.
You will see a difference in about 3-4 weeks. The size of mine has actually shrunk. My doctor was incredioulous last week with his finger......well we won't go there.
Google Cranberrys & Prostate!

Just a point here. Have you been getting a regular PSA test as well as the "digital" exam every year? If not you need to look into getting a PSA asap and then look for trends in the score assuming you have an initial normal reading. If the reading is high to begin with (5 or higher) you need to look at a possibility of prostate cancer. Mine was enlarged and had been ever since I was in my 20's. I was getting regular PSA's and when it changed a biopsy found cancer early. It's gone now and continuing PSA tests monitor for any recurrence.

Just a point here. Have you been getting a regular PSA test as well as the "digital" exam every year? If not you need to look into getting a PSA asap and then look for trends in the score assuming you have an initial normal reading. If the reading is high to begin with (5 or higher) you need to look at a possibility of prostate cancer. Mine was enlarged and had been ever since I was in my 20's. I was getting regular PSA's and when it changed a biopsy found cancer early. It's gone now and continuing PSA tests monitor for any recurrence.

:rocker Yep, since turning 50 I follow these two rules of thumb yearly. :thumb

Thanks for the replies. They check the PSA levels every year during my Dept. physical and they've always been in the normal range. (Except for one test during my divorce that they attributed to stress. who knew?). Anyway I should get that count back this week and hopefully when we follow up next month things will be better. It might keep me off the bike this week though. Not too happy about that! OK see you out there.

Bob
'04K1200GT

Look into taking Saw Palmetto as an herbal supplement. When I checked into it I mentioned it to my doc and he told me he takes it himself (he's younger than I am). In any event, it works for me and I"m 63.

Mike in NJ

Look into taking Saw Palmetto as an herbal supplement. When I checked into it I mentioned it to my doc and he told me he takes it himself (he's younger than I am). In any event, it works for me and I"m 63.

Mike in NJ

Yes sir...Saw Palmetto fur me too!
1 tablet a day of "EXTRACT 320mg's" since 2001 and no complaints, problems, or nightly visits to the Loo..:whistle.
Oh yeah,..I'm also a member of the over 50 crowd...:scratch

Before you jump off this cliff do a lot of reading on the current views on the effectiveness of PSA testing. If you have a good doctor you will quickly find out Prostate Cancer screening is very controversial.

Bottom line, almost every man who lives until old age dies with Prostate Cancer, but does not die of Prostate Cancer.

Become informed, talk to your Doc.

It is amazing how much contradictory info is available out there on this subject! But with some crazy strong anti biotics, hot baths, cranberry juice and saw palmeto pills things are feeling better. It sucks to get old but a hell of alot better than the alternative!

Bob
'04 K1200GT

Before you jump off a cliff and decide to drop the PSA test, keep in mind there isn't anything that is 100% fool proof regarding the human body and it's maintenance. The PSA is only one tool and you don't throw out the tool box because one tool won't do the job every time.

Same thing with dealing with prostate cancer. Yup you can do the watchful waiting. That's a euphemism that the doc figures you'll die of something else before the prostate cancer kills you. Sometimes that's a reasonable strategy, especially if you are already in your 70' or older. In your 50's that might just not be the thing to do. As long as the cancer is still contained in the prostate you have options for an easy cure. Once it spreads those options went away.

I've already had to deal with cancer that spread with my wife and her breast cancer. No thanks, I will not take some layman's advice and decide to let things go until I need extraordinary measures like radiation and heavy chemo to try and salvage some additional life span that I would likely have had by dealing with the situation while it was small and easily cured. I've seen the results of that and we both live with the consequences of not catching the cancer early enough.

Never ever rely on the internet for medical advice. Use your doctor as that is their job. If you don't like what the doc says, go ask some other doctors about it and keep it within their specialty as a GP may not be current with the newer data.

Funniest thing. I had been meaning to get some Saw Palmetto but after reading the posts here about Cranberry (and a little internet research), I went down to the local Walgreens and purchased a couple of bottles of Cranberry supplements to give it a try. By the way it's on sale 2 for 1. After the register printed out my receipt, it then printed out a coupon for a "Free AARP Membership".

How in the hell did they know?? :scratch:ha

You said you have an enlarged prostate which your doc called "prostatitis". Those are two different things. The medical name for an enlarged prostate is "BPH - Benign Prostatic Hypertrophy (or Hyperplasia). Prostatitis is an inflamed prostate which is often caused by an infection and treated with antibiotics.

First I'd like to say thanks for all of the responses. I'm still waiting for the results of the bloodwork taken last week as far as PSA or any other irregularity. Urinalisis didn't show much either, so for now I'm on some crazy strong antibiotics and Advils. Things should be clearer by weeks end but I am feeling much better.
Thanks again and stay well and safe guys! (Maybe I'll see some of you in VT this July, Oregon is just too far away for me.) :drink That's me and cranberry juice right now

Bob
'04 K1200GT

I hope all goes well for you! Thanks for bringing this issue up, its good to keep these things in mind, and hopefully discussions like this will lead to more gentlemen getting checked. Ride on Brother!

T

and while we're at it...

+1 on Moto31's comments re getting MD advice and second opinions.
+1 on Cranberry juice.
Let me also suggest a colonoscopy for those of us of either sex with long life experience. Preventative med is precisely that.
Glad you're on the mend...

OK, so after many tests, a colonoscopy, much blood and urine work, psa and potassium is back in the normal range and things are improving after a week of this crazy strong levaquin antibiotic. It seems this was an infection and prostatitus. A hell of a scare but I am feeling alot better. Keep after yourselves guys. OK i need another glass of cranberry juice. :drink:drink

Stay safe;

Bob
'04 K1200GT

Back