• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

salvaging a mildewed leather jacket?

mark from maine

I have two older leather jackets . One is a late 80's Hein Gericke Paris Dakar. Both Jackets are mildewed from being stored in the basement. (What was I thinking?) Is there any product available to clean them. Or would sending them out to be professionlly cleaned be the preferred method? Thanks for your imput.

Mark from Maine

Try using saddle soap to remove the dirt first and when they are dry, bury them in cat litter for a few days. That stuff keeps houses from becoming a place not to live in and will do wonders on just about anything.

Try and find some Skidmore's leather treatment. He makes it and sells it in Wyoming. There is a shop here in kansas that carries it.

It takes a bit of airing out - or you smell a lot like a pine tree - but I have had the same problem a time or two on gloves and jackets, and I clean it as best I can and give it a good rubbing with Pinesol cleaner. It pretty much does in the mildew.

Then a good dose of a good leather preservative like Lexol.

If you can find someone with an ozone generator that would do the trick. Hang the jackets in a walk in closet with the generator and run it up for about 20 minutes.Repeat as necessary.

Thank you for your suggestions. I am considering having them professionally done. I know I could use a cleaner on the outside but not sure if the liner on the inside would be so easy.

Thanks again,
Mark from Maine

Back