• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

tire pressure

Some people use the 10% rule. Measure tire pressure cold. Ride bike and when finished measure tire pressure. It should be up 10% from original reading. If higher than 10%, increase original air pressure. If lower than 10%, reduce original air pressure. Flexing of tire accounts for pressure increases.

40 PSI both front and rear. Makes it easy for me to stay on top of tire pressure whileon the road.

40 PSI both front and rear. Makes it easy for me to stay on top of tire pressure whileon the road.

given that you are running a smaller tire up front than in back, going to = pressure is not the ideal setting. Might be easier to remember and check, but 40 up front on most bikes (and certainly on any of your listed bikes other than possibly the KGT, but even that one I doubt) is going to be too much for best handling or tire life. Nearly every manufacturer recommendation I've ever seen shows about a 4-6 psi drop between f & r. 40r/36f would be about typical. Some go higher to protect soft rims from denting.

I have been running 40/42 on my 94RS with Avon Storms, Conti Road Attacks and Metzler Z6 tires. Usually get about 12,000 miles per tire. Handling and grip seem fine even when I lean to within 1/2 of the tread edges. Still on my original "soft" 3-spoke rims with no runout or bend damage. No cupping/scalloping on the front etiher, which is due in part to the tire pressure but moreso to having quality shocks with good consistent damping.

given that you are running a smaller tire up front than in back, going to = pressure is not the ideal setting. Might be easier to remember and check, but 40 up front on most bikes (and certainly on any of your listed bikes other than possibly the KGT, but even that one I doubt) is going to be too much for best handling or tire life. Nearly every manufacturer recommendation I've ever seen shows about a 4-6 psi drop between f & r. 40r/36f would be about typical. Some go higher to protect soft rims from denting.

This was a question in the Oilhead section, specifically for a R1150RT. I responded with an answer concerning my R1100RT. On the K16GT, I run 42/42. You may be surprised to hear that some tire manufacturers specify a higher pressure for their skinny tires than for the fat ones.

I would be surprised if the subject were Michelin, as Michelin recommends following motorcycle manufacturer specifications and BMW does not specify equal pressures front and rear.

I would be surprised if the subject were Michelin, as Michelin recommends following motorcycle manufacturer specifications and BMW does not specify equal pressures front and rear.

This doesn't have anything to do with running the right or wrong tire pressure, but everything with liability.
So, if Michelin recommends following motorcycle manufacturer specifications and someone puts Michelins on a Harley FXSTS, then the front skinny 21" tire will run at a higher pressure than the fat 18" rear.

Anybody with any understanding of engineering knows that specifications and liability are the same thing and that it comes from engineering and not lawyers. It's a typical statement from the ignorant and those determined to promote themselves as smarter than engineers. ... This NEVER happens.

Mod hat on>

let's keep things on track here fellows...

< Mod hat off

Best course is to follow the manufacturers suggested pressures for your particular model regardless of tire brand. Folks tweak pressures to suit their wallets or riding styles...so what?

I personally do not run higher pressures in the front as it is too hard for my riding style of wearing the edges down. My experience in rain riding also got me not over-inflating the front. YRMV
Your tires, your backside...go ride:thumb

Anybody with any understanding of engineering knows that specifications and liability are the same thing and that it comes from engineering and not lawyers. It's a typical statement from the ignorant and those determined to promote themselves as smarter than engineers. ... This NEVER happens.

What an awesome statement. I think the string should go on.............

Best course is to follow the manufacturers suggested pressures for your particular model regardless of tire brand. Folks tweak pressures to suit their wallets or riding styles...so what?

I personally do not run higher pressures in the front as it is too hard for my riding style of wearing the edges down. My experience in rain riding also got me not over-inflating the front. YRMV
Your tires, your backside...go ride:thumb

I would normally tend to agree that it is smart to follow the manufacturers guidance on tire pressure or anything else..... but, in the case or front tire pressure on my R1200R and R1200RT I have wondered away from the printed guidance. On both bikes I was running the recommended pressures and experiencing sever cupping. On the RT I went thru two front tires in 6000 miles. I have for some time been running 39-40 PSI up front and have had zero cupping on three tires comprised of two brands. In about 25K miles of running the higher pressures I have had no handling issues in the wet or dry. Works for me, but then I don't claim to be the second coming of V. Rossi.

:rofl NEVER????? Engineers came up with the 10% rule. They also designed the TPS system which is so unreliable for specific pressure that its only practical purpose is to let you know you are losing air. So which set of engineers do you listen to?

This doesn't really address the previous comments. My referring to "liability" was based on the fact that Michelin recommends to follow manufacturers recommendation.

I also have an '02 RT with PR3s on it. I follow my dealer's recommendation of 40/40 front/rear. 40/42 with a passenger. This has worked well for me for all kinds of riding, wet and dry, and tire life has been good as well.

Back