• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2003 r1150rt oil filter

where

As they say - underneath the engine, left front corner. You don't have to remove any plastic to see it or to change it. You just have to be willing to lie on the ground with all the fire ants to see it.

As they say - underneath the engine, left front corner. You don't have to remove any plastic to see it or to change it. You just have to be willing to lie on the ground with all the fire ants to see it.

Since he has an 1150RT he is going to have to remove the 4 X 3mm screws to get the plastic belly pan off so he can see the oil filter in the bottom of the engine eh?
And the drain plug is under there too. :thumb

As for the fire ants, dang! I'm not changing my oil in Florida! :bolt

Last edited:

Pretty sure the 1150 filter is right there in the open, too. The belly piece is just two long pieces on the sides. The center remains open...I only say this because I only drag one hex wrench out to the bike when I change the oil.
[Oh, crap - now I am starting to doubt my memory. Now I have to go home and look at my 1150, darn you.]

Pretty sure the 1150 filter is right there in the open, too. The belly piece is just two long pieces on the sides. The center remains open...I only say this because I only drag one hex wrench out to the bike when I change the oil.
[Oh, crap - now I am starting to doubt my memory. Now I have to go home and look at my 1150, darn you.]

I'm assuming the 1150 tupperware is pretty much the same as the 1100 tupperware which is in 3 pieces. Left side, right side and before you take those off the bottom (belly pan) needs to come off. Now I have to check the Max BMW fiche darn you! :laugh

Yeah.. I just took a look. It's there and it needs to come off on an 1150 also. Click on "Vehicle Trim and then painted parts. The bottom pan is part number 5.

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=51680&rnd=05012012

I'm assuming the 1150 tupperware is pretty much the same as the 1100 tupperware which is in 3 pieces. Left side, right side and before you take those off the bottom (belly pan) needs to come off. Now I have to check the Max BMW fiche darn you! :laugh

Yeah.. I just took a look. It's there and it needs to come off on an 1150 also. Click on "Vehicle Trim and then painted parts. The bottom pan is part number 5.

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=51680&rnd=05012012

Incorrect my Canuckian friend.

I can change the oil on my 2004 R1150RT WITHOUT removing the belly pan.
Just did it this past weekend. :dance

The belly pan is curved in a way to allow you to access both the drain plug and
oil filter. Unlike my wife's K1200RS.

The belly pan is the same part number on the 1100 and 1150RT. As stated above, it is carved out so the filter and drain are exposed without removing the part.

Incorrect my Canuckian friend.

I can change the oil on my 2004 R1150RT WITHOUT removing the belly pan.
Just did it this past weekend. :dance

The belly pan is curved in a way to allow you to access both the drain plug and
oil filter. Unlike my wife's K1200RS.

Why not just remove the four screws and the belly pan? You'd have better access to catch the oil, and to clean up the area.

Why not just remove the four screws and the belly pan? You'd have better access to catch the oil, and to clean up the area.

Precisely why I do it every time.

I have to admit the boys caught me out though! I've never even _tried_ to do it without removing the belly pan and did not think it was possible to change my oil and not make a big old mess!

So I stand corrected. Sorry if I misled someone. Leave it on and drain away!

Not me though. I like plenty of room and lots of rags. I remove the little rocks and crap from the pan while I'm at it. :thumb

Precisely why I do it every time.

I have to admit the boys caught me out though! I've never even _tried_ to do it without removing the belly pan and did not think it was possible to change my oil and not make a big old mess!

So I stand corrected. Sorry if I misled someone. Leave it on and drain away!

Not me though. I like plenty of room and lots of rags. I remove the little rocks and crap from the pan while I'm at it. :thumb

I change my oil every 3K. Every 6K I adjust the valves/throttle bodies/change the trans/final drive/engine oil, etc. That's when I drop the pan.

There is plenty of room with the cutout in the pan to avoid any mess, unless your extremely clumsy....:laugh

YMMV

Oil Filter Wrench Size "94 R1150RT

Okay,
Don't want to remove the belly pan.
I know where the filter is but can anyone tell me the size and where I can buy one?

Peter

I change my oil every 3K. Every 6K I adjust the valves/throttle bodies/change the trans/final drive/engine oil, etc. That's when I drop the pan.

There is plenty of room with the cutout in the pan to avoid any mess, unless your extremely clumsy....:laugh

YMMV

total and complete waste of time, money and natural resources, with absolutely no proven benefit.

we have left the 1950s and 60s behind us. better would be to just follow the manufacturer's recommendations of 6K/12K fluid changes.

total and complete waste of time, money and natural resources, with absolutely no proven benefit.

we have left the 1950s and 60s behind us. better would be to just follow the manufacturer's recommendations of 6K/12K fluid changes.

Really, you're going to lecture me about natural resources (synthetic oil), and wasting my time and money. Only one person has the authority to lecture me about my time and money, and you don't look like her.

Be careful when you dismount that high horse of yours. ;)

Really, you're going to lecture me about natural resources (synthetic oil), and wasting my time and money. Only one person has the authority to lecture me about my time and money, and you don't look like her.

Be careful when you dismount that high horse of yours. ;)

Wow....

I have a question. Why do you think you need to change your oil every 3K?

At the risk of getting flamed :hide consider the fact that changing oil every 3K is exactly double the frequency that is recommended by the manufacturer.

BMW uses and recommends regular dino oil. Synthetic oil users usually do so because it lasts even longer, thus justifying the extra cost.

From my rudimentary understanding all synthetic motor oil starts with a large helping of organic base stock which is a natural resource pumped from below or dug up and extracted from tar sands. The rest is chemical compounds and additives. Synthetic oils are not environmentally friendly as some folks might believe.

Back