• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

GPS connectors on hexheads and cam heads

nelliott

Cowboyatheart
Hi Everyone,

I put this question in the "08 GPS connector questions" thread, but realize that that thread may be too specific and NOT attract attention to readers to elicit responses.
BTW I do have a 2008 RT, however, this covers more than RTs

So I pose it here....

A friend of mine said his garmin zumo 660LM harness (that came with his GPS) had an end that plugged directly into the BMW GPS plug on his RT.
Plug and play as it were.

Why does everyone say another part is needed? (see other threads).

Was his GPS purchased as part of a package for BMWs?

Did his RT come with (or did he purchase) a bike specific GPS mount? I believe some mounting kits come with all needed adapters.

My GS did not come with any kind of GPS preparation and my GPS (not a 660LM) came with a car cigarette adapter. I needed to do some surgery to the cable to get power from the bike to the GPS.

GPS connector

Was his GPS purchased as part of a package for BMWs?

Did his RT come with (or did he purchase) a bike specific GPS mount? I believe some mounting kits come with all needed adapters.

My GS did not come with any kind of GPS preparation and my GPS (not a 660LM) came with a car cigarette adapter. I needed to do some surgery to the cable to get power from the bike to the GPS.

No regular 2010 RT, GPS from garmin with a standard order, nothing special.

Why does everyone say another part is needed?
Four years ago Garmin shipped the 660 cradle with bare wires, which required the BMW repair connector (yellow wires below).

3685995388_d9cb26ca72_b.jpg

I didn't like using the 660's touchscreen with gloves -- too much of a distraction from the road -- so I returned it for the newly released Navigator IV. Its mount plug (white below) was plug-and-play with the switched accessory connector on the bike. And the Navi IV cradle has chunky, backlit haptic buttons that work great with gloves.

3888734962_988b15071e_b.jpg

Inside newer 660 boxes, apparently, Garmin's motorcycle mount now includes more than just bare wires.

Hi Everyone,

I put this question in the "08 GPS connector questions" thread, but realize that that thread may be too specific and NOT attract attention to readers to elicit responses.
BTW I do have a 2008 RT, however, this covers more than RTs

So I pose it here....

A friend of mine said his garmin zumo 660LM harness (that came with his GPS) had an end that plugged directly into the BMW GPS plug on his RT.
Plug and play as it were.

Why does everyone say another part is needed? (see other threads).

I would have to question exactly what your friend ordered. It sounds as if it's a special setup.. no 660LM that I know of comes with the BMW plug - which would be useless to the majority of other brand bike owners.

Can you get us any details on it? Was it new? From a special vendor?

Four years ago Garmin shipped the 660 cradle with bare wires, which required the BMW repair connector (yellow wires below).

3685995388_d9cb26ca72_b.jpg

I didn't like using the 660's touchscreen with gloves -- too much of a distraction from the road -- so I returned it for the newly released Navigator IV. Its mount plug (white below) was plug-and-play with the switched accessory connector on the bike. And the Navi IV cradle has chunky, backlit haptic buttons that work great with gloves.

3888734962_988b15071e_b.jpg

Inside newer 660 boxes, apparently, Garmin's motorcycle mount now includes more than just bare wires.

The white repair plug with yellow wires is exactly what I am dealing with. I will be using that with my Montana GPS on my 2013 R1200RT. My problem is I am not sure where the white plug goes. There is a black plastic plug to the right of the steering head below the right light frame. I can't get the protection plug out of the black plug. Any suggestions? Also, to remove the mirrors is the hex set screw take a 3.5mm Allen wrench?

My problem is I am not sure where the white plug goes. There is a black plastic plug to the right of the steering head below the right light frame. I can't get the protection plug out of the black plug. Any suggestions??

There's a black cap on the bike's accessory connector. Pull it off and plug in the white repair plug (with yellow wires) into it. Here's the connector with the cap removed.

3685995002_408295e0b0_b.jpg

For many gps,that were common when the 08 was built, like the 550, you can clip the middle wire out the repair plug- its not needed to go to the gps. The two outside wires are you 12V and ground- just look at the bike side of the plug and as alaways brown is ground, the other outside wire is your power...

Thanks for the replys. I will check it out tomorrow when home. Installed the bracket and support today. Wire tomorrow.

Back