• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1975 r90/6

Bikemike1

Looking at the 75 R90/6 an older Gent is selling. Not in excellence condition, I'd called it fair condition. Has 33k miles on her, fairing, hard side bags, and trunk a little rough...aged. Engine needs a polishing and cleaning, started right up and sounded good. Done my research on price and there appears to be some wide variation. He is asking $4000.00. I believe it is a little high and he is adding value on the "Antique Classic" niche. So I brought the issue to the club to get experience opinions. Bike all original.

What are your thoughts on the 75 R90/6...it's performance , liability, points, fair price, etc.

Thanks

1975 r90/6

Seeing as excellent condition, VG, G, Fair and Poor are subjective i'd say that's about an average price. I am looking at a 1975 here in NYC with the larger touring tank. The owner asking $5500 which I think is a bit much. In VG condition. sentimental value as well. Hey... you can throw out any offer you want.

I like 1st year 1974 which is also the last year with a kick-starter. Getting tougher to find these bikes that have not been modified or butchered already.

Last edited:
I think the 2nd year R75/6 is a little better than the 1st year (not 1994, but 1974! :) ) with a better transmission...I think the valve train might have improved a bit too...maybe that didn't improve until the '76 models. But in general, the R75/x series was a good middle range performer, capable of long distances, easy touring, etc. The horsepower peaked in the '77/'78 timeframe.

$4K is probably not too bad, although you said you're dealing with some cosmetics. Obviously, getting it for less than that would be good. I'd say if it were more like $3500 it would be win-win for both parties. :dunno

I paid 3600 for my 74 R90/6 with low mileage (18,900) that didn't have the bags. I'm thinking 4k is a hair high but not seeing it, it could be right on the money. How's the paint? That's the huge expense if restoring it. Plan on replacing every seal, gasket, oring and rubber bit on the bike. ;)

Plan on replacing every seal, gasket, oring and rubber bit on the bike. ;)

Glad to hear the pricing information. So, based upon the "need" to replace all rubbers, seals, and gaskets......If like mine, no leaks and running fantastic it isn't out of line to ask in the $5K's...........seems to be reasonable seeing that the only work necessary on many bikes just like mine is NOT the $3K give away price of one needing work..........God bless.....Dennis

Glad to hear the pricing information. So, based upon the "need" to replace all rubbers, seals, and gaskets......If like mine, no leaks and running fantastic it isn't out of line to ask in the $5K's...........seems to be reasonable seeing that the only work necessary on many bikes just like mine is NOT the $3K give away price of one needing work..........God bless.....Dennis

I'd say a high mileage well maintained bike is a better bargain for a rider anyway. Mine had sat for 20 years and I think I only have 2 seals left on it that are original. One that was ridden regularly might not have that problem. Jmho

The /6 BMW's are good machines. 74 was the last of them with kick starters. The 900's have alittle more torque, the 750's were alittle smoother running.

The price is not out of line if everything is there and it runs well. Like all BMW's they can get expensive if they need parts or repairs. But almost everything is still available from BMWNA.

I have a 75 R75/6 that has 175,000 miles on it, at 90k it got a top end and a clutch. At 120 I had to have the drive splines on the rear drive repaired. Other than that the old relic still runs well.

If you can find a unmolested /6 that just needs some clean up go for it.

I suggest you read the Matt Parkhouse Keep them flying colums as he has a great of knowledge on keeping them running.

GREAT INPUT!! I will toss n turn over it tonight. I can afford it, I just got to reason with myself and ask, do I need another bike?! Hmmmmmmm?

Greatly Appreciated.

Bike Mike

Back