• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Blue Exhaust pipes

FrankFlorio

Impulse
My '08 R1200RT exhaust pipes developed a blue color. Is this normal? I was wondering if perhaps too much gas vs air? Thanks..............

welcome to the boxer blue pipe look. Bmw does not charge extra for this and it is normal and a BMW trait.

Things I "think" I know.
Do not clean the bluing off as these cleaning products will kill the luster.
Ride your new BMW and have fun.

In the olden days chrome was triple plated but because of cost and the very toxic acids used in striking nickel this center plate is History for most chroming done now.
So, we have the parent steel that is polished then a strike of copper, polished again then a strike of chrome, then a final polish. Chrome IS porous and w/o the copper would be lifted by rust(iron oxide) pretty quickly.
It is my belief that the bluing comes from some elements of the copper bleeding through the chrome at high temps. I believe this because pipes that have a center strike of nickel do not seem to blue very easily if at all.

Note: There are two head pipes hanging from my garage rafters from a '77 900SS Ducati that was ridden very hard "back-in-the-day" that have almost no bluing on them at all. Very slight if any. They were truely triple plated.

Note: There are two head pipes hanging from my garage rafters from a '77 900SS Ducati that was ridden very hard "back-in-the-day" that have almost no bluing on them at all. Very slight if any. They were truely triple plated.

I thought the "blueing" was the result of single-wall (do blue) vs. double-wall (do NOT blue) exhaust headers. Do I just have a faulty memory?

I thought the "blueing" was the result of single-wall (do blue) vs. double-wall (do NOT blue) exhaust headers. Do I just have a faulty memory?

Correct. Bluing is cause by heat. The bluer the header the hotter the exhaust gas temp. The leaner the mixture the hotter the exhaust. Single wall pipe bluing is normal, however the bluing should not extend to the mufflers (too hot).

Motorcycle exhaust builders use double wall pipe, so that chrome look the cruiser crowd loves is not marred.

Ralph Sims

Correct. Bluing is cause by heat. The bluer the header the hotter the exhaust gas temp. The leaner the mixture the hotter the exhaust. Single wall pipe bluing is normal, however the bluing should not extend to the mufflers (too hot).

Thanks. I seem to remember back in the '80's that airhead owners were looking for some magic "snake oil" they could put on their new headers to try to get an "artistic" blueing pattern to form on the headers. And also, airheads that had an intricate and colorful blueing pattern were admired.

Double wall pipes of the olden days were most likely triple plated.
They are very heavy, they contained the noise that radiates from the pipe surface very well and they had a much cooler surface temperature than single wall pipes.

Talk to a plating shop about why pipes blue. ;)

Back